Pole Position Guitar

I think a universal modular approach to pickups would be awesome. Solderless approach. Designed so you could just easily swap and replace different pickups in and out during string changes. I believe it would entice more people to buy and replace pickups because it would be bonehead simple to do. But this doesn't seem that appealing to me. These look interesting though.

Neo Series Active Polyphonic Pickups | Cycfi Research

and

Cycfi XR | Cycfi Research

This has the most promise of anything I have seen yet, mary this up with a line 6 Variax type of deal and the possibilities could be endless no matter what type amp you plug into.

I don't like it for the fact you have to slide your hand with the pickup. What if you want the pickup in the tradional neck position but want to pick in between the pickup and bridge? Not even adding the fact that the closer you pick toward the neck or bridge is gonna slightly change your tone anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike Canavan of CMP Guitars here... Thanks for all the great (and not so great :) ) comments, and some very interesting ideas which I always appreciate from serious players. Yes, moveable pickups have been done before (even before Wilkes or Armstrong), but they were all used as "settings" - you put the pickup where you wanted, then played. The Pole Position is the first to have a handle so that the sliding pickup can be used on the fly, as part of your playing. You couldn't change your pickup setting on any previous guitars without stopping. That is a very big difference to a creative player., and the basis for the patent. Also, the questions about the effect of the large cavity on tone are valid, but the fact is the route is only slightly bigger than a standard Fender "swimming pool" route. Obviously, this guitar is not for everyone (what guitar is?) but better and more creative players than me have already done interesting things with it. Thanks for all the interest. Mike

I think some comments on here are a bit harsh. It's an interesting idea and could open up a lot of creative possibilities, particularly around changing the tone in the middle of a note or phrase. A locking mechanism would be fairly important, I think. Also, I would be concerned about metal fatigue on the pickup cable after prolonged movement - it would need cable that can handle repeated movement.

Back
Top Bottom