Plz Describe Friedman Amps

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
Soon, I hope to step beyond the realm of what my comfort zone is and explore a larger world of amp choices. Like many of you who have already discovered a variety of amps, my interest stems from Friedman amps.

I've heard the Dirty Shirley in process, and found it quite enjoyable. My question to you is, if there were a way to describe the tone and sound quality of several of Friedman's designs, how might you compare these to older or more familiar amp models?

Last edited:
They are an electronic circuit in a box, built for the purpose of making your electric guitar loud, but that's not important right now....
leslie-nielsen-main.jpg

I think the toughest part could be, What speaker cab, IR do you choose?
There is an endless variety of IR's out there. Which one sounds best to most people, which is most frequently used, which sounds best for your application.

Modded marshall

Yup. The end. :)

Pretty much all, if not all, of Dave's amps are various Marshall amps/circuits modded
to be smoother, or have multiple gain stages, or more or less negative feedback, or
more resonance and increased depth.

Aren't the origins of the Dirty Shirley, the JTM45?

There is an endless variety of IR's out there. Which one sounds best to most people, which is most frequently used, which sounds best for your application.
Hearing Doug Rappaport thru a 4x12 with split V30s and Greenbacks was pretty awesome. I think the same could be accomplished with 2 separate 4x12s. I'll pore over some of the videos, and try to make whatever sense I can of things. Remind me to hydrate, folks.

Cabinet choices are very much an individual choice. I have several I like in York's offerings, and there have been many in the factory presets that'd work well too, but, again, we all have our own interpretation of how something sounds.

Again and again, it comes back to what Cliff says, "use your ears".

Back
Top Bottom