Playback delay while using the Axe FX II as an interface?

Spaceboy

Inspired
I am trying to use the Axe FX II as an interface and the computer's built-in output for playback with Mac OSX Lion. I created an aggregated device with the built-in input and output, plus the Axe FX II input and output. I selected drift for the computer and Axe FX II input, although I'm not sure what that means, but it's what I was told on this board awhile back. I relabeled the I/O in Pro Tools, and tested that I could get playback. I created a track and found that if I select the Axe FX input, there's huge delay between playing and monitoring. Have I forgotten something important? I was able to use the Axe FX II as an interface before without a problem, but don't remember doing anything differently.

same. i worked around it by recording w/ it on mute. but then i would get stupid distortion randomly sometimes. a long time ago it worked perfectly but who knows maybe new firmware messed it up or it's just apple. looking forward to a fix.

Okay, I found the problem. I use a MacBook Pro and had a powered USB hub to give me more connections. I removed that and plugged the Axe FX II and iLok directly into the MBP, with the only two USB ports it has, and now there's no problems... except no USB means no more control surface or keyboard. I may be able to keep everything else connected through the hub, and direct connect only the Axe FX... I'll try that.

Why does a USB hub cause this problem, especially a powered one?

Okay, I found the problem. I use a MacBook Pro and had a powered USB hub to give me more connections. I removed that and plugged the Axe FX II and iLok directly into the MBP, with the only two USB ports it has, and now there's no problems... except no USB means no more control surface or keyboard. I may be able to keep everything else connected through the hub, and direct connect only the Axe FX... I'll try that.

Why does a USB hub cause this problem, especially a powered one?
Does it still do it if there is nothing but the iLok and AxeFXII plugged into the hub? I'd look into it being a matter of multiple devices trying to use the same single USB port at the same time which will create latency.

On a side note I'm going into an old USB hub and get very low latency. I have a control interface on there as well, but that's it. It's more about being able to extend the USB cable and have only one cable coming from that rack.

I'm having more troubles now. I attempted to use an app to EQ the output of the headphone jack, which caused all sorts of errors with Pro Tools, changing IO although nothing in the IO settings was different. Then every time I would open PT10 with the Axe FX II plugged it, I would get constant static noises upon load up screen, and they wouldn't go away. I Googled and the only solution I could find was that someone with a similar problem was told by Avid support to reinstall Pro Tools.... what a pain. I actually might backup some data I need and format the whole computer to see if performance in Pro Tools can improve with a clean slate. I've been having other headaches with Pro Tools lately too. I haven't a single clue why this static issue started, but it only causes the sound while the Axe FX is plugged in. It stops as soon as I remove it.

I have had similar PT woes. I have tried reinstalling PT and even did an archive and install. Neither cured my issues. There was a thread a while back that made mention of a USB issue that Apple was 'working on' it. Let's not hold our breathe waiting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I completely formatted the computer, reinstalled the OS and essential programs, and there's less problems now. However, for some reason audio decides to start causes odd sounds if the session has been open for too long. I'm only really wanting to do some reamping, but it's really not worth all this headache. I'll buy a Redeye for 300 bucks and deal with things that way.

Back
Top Bottom