Pimp My Guitar: Let's see your mods

I constantly turn down a Strat volume w/ my picking hand on accident, so I just eliminated one of the tones altogether. I'd never go back to the stock layout.
I use my volume pedal for any volume swells & generally leave my guitars controls maxed out at 10.
I've been using MIDI controlled preamps & effects for years so I've always just pre-programmed my volume for each patch & stored it in the rig.

When I first joined this forum I wrote a post about how you can remove the switch from a two pickup guitar & wire each pickup to the tip & ring of a stereo jack. Then into your AXE FX 3 w/ a 'Y' cable.

From here you can control inputs & have complete midi control of your pickup selection of your guitar.
I've been doing this for years before buying my first Fractal using a little relay box I built, but now the Axe FX makes it stupid easy.

I'm pointing out this really neat mod because this thread shouldn't be buried. Check it out!
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/how-to-control-guitar-pickup-selection-on-axe-fx-3.199445/
My no-more-secret dream is to start building guitars... and yours are a truly inspiration!
Regarding the switching system it's interesting... I use only HH guitars but I love the split positions... so I assume that having more than 5 outputs can be a mess 😂

My no-more-secret dream is to start building guitars... and yours are a truly inspiration!
Regarding the switching system it's interesting... I use only HH guitars but I love the split positions... so I assume that having more than 5 outputs can be a mess 😂
Thank you for the compliment, Ricardo.
I would definitely encourage you to learn how to build instruments. It's good exercise for the mind!

Learn some repair work if you have the opportunity. It's a great way to get a start into lutherie.

Steinberger tuners. Absolutely love them.View attachment 135706
Me too, but not on F* style headstocks, because the fat E gets bumped by the guitar hanger. Works great on my Snakehead Tele, tho....
20221218_185958_0.jpg

Doesn’t technically count as a modded guitar, as I assembled it from parts, but 4 way Tele switch, Rutters hardware, and a pair of Dawgtown 5/2 pickups from the spare parts drawer that started the ball rolling....

Last edited:
20240223_163017.jpg

Started as a standard US Tele, but had the extra places routed for other upgraded models hiding under the pickguard from the factory. Rutters Bridge, 3/8 over plate, knobs, and switch tip. Fralin 5% underwound Split Steel Pole Tele, vintage heat Split Blade Tele neck pickup (in the middle), and a Duncan Jazz HB at the neck. This guitar does so many good tones. 5 way super switch, plus a 3-way 4pdt to pre-set what the middle spot has on tap: middle, neck+bridge, or neck+bridge 1/2 out-of-phase....

20240223_165250.jpg

Gecko Tele. Technically counts as modded, since it started its custom-built life in 2007-8-whenever with a Lollar Deluxe Mini at the neck and 250k pots, and has been through a couple others of the TV Jones variety, before landing on the Fralin Hum Free P90 and 500k pots. 5 way switch gives the standard 3, plus series and half out-of-phase in the "notch" spots....

Eventually will take the TV Jones pickups and add a Fralin Split Steel Pole Tele bridge in a custom build at some point, as I think the thing that made me move so much on those three was the 250k pots loading them down just a tad too much. Might need to revisit the Lollar as well....

20240223_163043.jpg

VZ Tele. Original home to the Dawgtown 5/2 set in the Snakehead I built.

Upgraded to Lawrence L202TN and Fralin "high output" Split Blade Tele. 4 way switch. Rutters plate, knobs, switch tip, and saddles on the stock Barden bridge. Kept knocking the strings out of alignment on the Barden saddles, because no notch.... Sounds fantastic for more "modern Tele" sounds....

20240223_163053.jpg

The fastest moving target in the bunch. Too many changes to list over the years. Started as a bog standard 2002 Hwy. 1 Strat, three singles, three knobs, one switch. Probably spent longest with Lawrence L220SN, L220SM, and L298TL pickups (yes, a Tele bridge pickup, at the proper slant and position), which is a really good combo. Currently has the PRS 245SE bridge as a placeholder, awaiting a final choice there, and a pair of Split Blades, along with my super 5 way and 3-way toggle combo, and master passive bass and treble pots, per the common G&L sett-up. Currently eyeing up either Madlove or The Creamery for their CuNiFe magnet HB-sized "Wide Range" humbucker as candidates for the bridge spot, but not there yet....

EDIT:
20240224_030825.jpg

I may have mentioned this was the fastest moving target in the mods bunch.

When I dropped in the 245S, I had already remembered that I had a Lawrence L500R sitting around in the drawer. Just an hour ago tonight, at 2am, I remembered WHY it was in the drawer. I didn't want to use it due to the L500 R/L set in my old '08 Studio LP being too loud compared to my other guitars. Somehow that got simplified in my brain to "I don't want to use this pickup". I'm glad the rest of the equation popped into my brain finally....

Turns out it is just what the doctor ordered. A little bit louder than the 245S, but with that famous Lawrence clarity and wide-ranging tone.

In parallel, it works nicely to fill out the lows on the Strat bridge pickup sound, while retaining the highs and clarity. Combines with either of the other pickups quite well for a fantastically sweet and quacky bridge+middle, a wonderfully clean and clucky bridge+neck tone, and a nice, politely-snarky bridge+neck 1/2 out-of-phase tone.

Push in the S1 to get the bridge in series, and the neck+bridge combo gets a little bit more "Tele" flavor, from the pickup loading changeover from bridge loading neck to neck loading bridge (the lower impedance coil tends to dominate when pickups are not matched in level/impedance). The 1/2 OOP sounds a bit more snarky and aggressive with the bridge in series. Lastly, you get a bit more midrange heat with the bridge alone in series, while retaining the clarity in the lows and highs....

EDIT 2:
20240312_125544.jpg

L500L arrived just before lunch today, and was installed and initial tests done before the USPS notification arrived that it was delivered....

The L500R was a big step in the right direction, and could squeak out enough level if adjusted really close, but all the close-pickup brights in parallel mode were a little more than I wanted. Upping to the L fixes that. At the famous "one nickel, two nickels" height starting point, it is really close to optimal in parallel and has some really nice whomp in series. Parallel with the L500L hits right between parallel and series on the R, and series on the L500L hits a notch up from series on the R. All the combinations with middle and neck sound good in either parallel or series, even the half-OOP really shines with a nice bit of nasal honk, in two flavors....

Last edited:
20240223_163125.jpg

Triple P90 Custom 22 with DGT neck profile. Upgraded to Fralin hum cancelling P90s, with an AlNiCo one most recently added in the middle. The regular one that was in the middle migrated to the Gecko Tele's neck spot. Has the super 5 way switch and 3-position for the middle spot. That's pretty much a go-to for me for the 3 pickup guitars with 5-way switch....

20240223_163136.jpg

PRS Custom 24. One tiny mod - swapped out the one notch spot from Bridge HB + Neck inside coil split to be Bridge + Neck split, outside coils. Gives a much more brash, Tele-esque clucky chicken-pickin' tone to the combination, and went from my least used spot to my most used spot on the 5-way. :) The inside coils approach the Strat-esque quacky, jangly while retaining a separate voice, and are just a little quieter and more delicate than the outside coils due to the pole pieces being closer to the strings on the outside pair.

20240223_163200.jpg

PRS 245 SE. Great guitar, with WHOMP, and light, to boot. Swapped in someone's unwanted 85/15 S pickups, with Gibbo covers from the spare parts drawer, added series/parallel switches and a phase switch on the Master Tone pot in the back. Rewired in Gretch config with the front knob being Master Volume, the two middle knobs being reverse-taper Volumes for each pickup, and the aforementioned pull-switch Master Tone in the back. Does a good cleaner LP vibe. The original 245S pickups had more of a '70s LP vibe, and copped Ronnno, and a few others' tones quite well, but were just a little too hot for my tastes. I think eventually I may throw some Fralin Pure PAFs in this one or maybe a Pure PAF at the bridge and a Sunbucker at the neck, but it sounds pretty good now, so eventually may be a while....

20240223_163213.jpg

The PRS that started it all for me. Their cheapest model at $499. Standard 24 SE. Started off down the mod road with me trying to line up the pots' knobs correctly. They came from the factory with 10 facing straight up, which means that when full up and the guitar was in playing position, they looked like they were at 8 or so. The two-spoons method managed to get the volume pot's super tight knob off safely, but pulled the shaft straight out of the pull switch on the tone knob. Replaced the pot (and knobs, since the tone knob was still attached to the pot shaft it pulled out), and ended up with three mini-switches - two series/parallel switches and a 1/2 out-of-phase switch. Tons of great tones in there, especially when adding the OOP into the mix. Upgraded tuners (Grover mini auto-lockers - I know Andy will say that he doesn't like them, but they work fine here) and upgraded saddles to the Wilkinson locking saddles, and just a bit of nut clean-up when I bought it, and it stays in tune really well. Upgraded the switch to a Oak Grigsby Tele switch for better switch feel. Has its own sweet and unique voice that is not obsoleted by the Custom 24, due to the different wiring and pickups....

20240223_163226.jpg

Sterling Cutlass. Grabbed at a GC Labor Day sale for $399. Great guitar! Original single coils were a bit odd, but bought it with the intention of swapping in the Lawrences that came out of my blue Strat. Well, the bridge pickup that came with it sounds great, so I kept it. Added the S1 pot to bring in the Neck+Bridge in the middle spot on the upgraded super 5 way switch. Stays in tune better with the Wilkinson saddles than with stock parts. Great little guitar at a stoopid cheap price....

20240223_163240.jpg

So, years ago when they first came out, HLK had an Explorer-shaped 24 fret Lucky Lady model. Then they must've got a nastygram from Gibson, because they blew this one out for $99 and re-shaped the body. Upgraded to Lawrence L90 HBs (2H at the neck, 4H at the bridge), and rewired the controls from Volume Volume Tone (if memory serves) to instead do Master Volume, and passive Bass and Treble knobs. This guitar gets down into the country tone range pretty easily, as well as the vintage R&R stuff. Great clarity on those pickups, and a great guitar overall at an UNBEATABLE price....

20240223_174807.jpg

Gibson SG Special 2018. Got this at a different GC, blow-out priced, after it hung on the wall there for most of the year. It had issues with the output jack crackling, probably related to nearly a year's worth of clumsy jacking by customers trying it out. Sadly, with the jack being mounted on the PC board in the control cavity, the whole schmegegge had to be replaced. Opportunity to improve the really over-wound (25k!!) mini humbuckers! In went DiMarzios (Virtual P90 and P90 sized Super Distortion) for a good while, with series/parallel pull switches on the tone pots. It got a great '70s Mountain/Joe Walsh tone, and could, with the pull switches pulled, do country also. Was my highest-output guitar, and was too hot to compensate for easily, so eventually, despite the good sound, needed something a bit tamer.

Later came the Kinmans. A new bridge Kinman is coming, to replace the "Bright Nasty" with "Clean and Bright", as the "Bright Nasty" is not kidding about the Nasty part. Good to wake up a dull sounding amp, but a little spiky for me. I have since found some sound samples in videos and definitely like the "Clean and Bright" sound a lot more, as it sounds like a nice P90 (minus the hum). I wish I'd've found them before, but life's like that sometimes. Their website's ad copy comes over with a very "salesman-y" vibe . With everything they make being touted as "the best thing ever", it dilutes the value of the descriptions a bit. Will be selling the "Bright Nasty" to someone who wants that sound, in order to recoup some $$$, as, looking at the prices, one can deduce that Kinman is REALLY PROUD of his pickups. :) The neck 580 is there to stay, and sounds F***ING FANTASTIC. Makes me want to get a '54/'55 "Black Beauty" LP Custom type guitar and switch out the hummy P90s for a set of Kinmans with the 580 neck and "Clean and Bright" bridge. Only one pull switch now, on the neck tone pot, to do the 1/2 out-of-phase thing....

EDIT: the Clean and Bright Bridge P90 is in, and it tames the spiky "Nasty". Really digging it so far. Need to get on selling some stuff (the "Nasty Bright", my original FM9 and FC6, etc.) because my room is getting a bit full.... :)

Last edited:
40/1 turn ratio is really nice. I also love not having 6 little ears sticking off my head stock to get caught on stuff. I do believe they are a little more stable not have windings around a post. Just, in my opinion, a far superior tuner design.
The strings are pulled down by the tuners and scrape over the edge of the tuner. Don't the strings easily get stuck (like on the bridge) and then everything goes out of tune again?

Back
Top Bottom