Phasing issues when slaving an amp through the Axe?

hunter

Experienced
When slaving an amp through effects for W/D or W/D/W it is common to mix in some dry on the wet cab(s) - Dave Friedman confirmed to me that this is what people like Steve Stevens, EVH etc do/did. A fully wet cab makes you feel weird while playing, hence some dry mixed in to blend the FX better.

Now the problem is that when you run the speaker out of your amp via DI through an effect unit and mix some dry signal in the FX unit, you can experience phasing issues from the latency of the FX, this is why pros use hardware mixers to mix the dry amount in the wet cabs.

However, the Axe has as little as 0.8ms latency, which means it theoretically creates the same phasing as if the wet cab stands 10 inch behind the dry cab - on this neglectable latency, do I at all need a hardware mixer to avoid phasing?

I made a test with a Marshall, speaker out through Palmer box into Axe into ART SLA-2, then both the dry and the effected signal into either side of a stereo 4x12. I had like 50% effect mix on the wet side.

I don't have the educated ear, but I couldn't tell any phasing, however there might have been and I haven't heard it? What do you think from this recording, do I need a hardware mixer or can I just do with the Axe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7ZRG_fSZwE

I listened a few times and I couldn't pick out or hear any phasing issues. Of course a youtube vid isn't the best way to evaluate something like that... sounded good to me ;)

Sixstring said:
I listened a few times and I couldn't pick out or hear any phasing issues. Of course a youtube vid isn't the best way to evaluate something like that... sounded good to me ;)

Thanks dude ... and you're right about the quality.

I am gonna record another one with the Tascam DR-1, that will give better quality.

Back
Top Bottom