Pedal Steel Patch

reclavea

Fractal Fanatic
Here's my preset for a Pedal Steel patch. Based off of Mike Dolce's tips! Thanks Mike!

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Pedal Steel Guitar - by reclavea

UPDATE: You MUST USE FW12.03beta to use this patch!! Otherwise a "Blank" preset will result!

I've utilized the 2 Pitch Shift blocks

Adjust the Pitch Shifter to your harmony preference. I've considerably lowered the output of the Pitch block as the higher output settings were causing harsh tones in the higher fret areas in the 14 fret areas and higher. It was undesirably driving the input of the amp too much. I set the mix to 80%. Adjust to taste.

I think the Glide time settings are critical for this effect as it "glides" the pitch up or down nicely when using the exp controllers.

The Vol/Pan block is utilized to control the volume swell effect. I've attached an envelope modifier to the Volume parameter and set the
modifier settings to my taste. Adjust to to your preferences.

I chose the Double Verb Amp and the Cab but again use whichever tickles your fancy but a nice clean to low gain amp will be more towards the sound.
Note: I've considerably lowered the input drive as well as the input trim to my preference.

1st Pitch Shift Block (Scene 1):
Exp controller 1 shifts the 5th harmony to a 6th (Maj 6th sound).

Exp controller 2 shifts the 3rd harmony to a 4th (mainly for the sus4th sound).

The Glide time parameter I set to 45ms.

2nd Pitch Shift Block (scene 2):
Expression Pedal 1 shifts the 5th harmony to the 7th for Dom7th and Maj7th harmonies.

Expression Pedal 2 shifts the 3rd harmony to a 4th (sus4th sound).

The Glide time parameter I set 50.2ms as this seems better suited to the interval distance for the 7th note.

Scene 3 is a clean setting only. The Filter block is there to provide a signal path to the amp/cab.

Scene 4 is the same as Scene 1 but in the Key of G

Scene 5 is the same as Scene 2 but in the Key of G

So…..Scene 1 and 2 are in the Key of C and Scene 4 and 5 are in the Key of G.

Improvements and suggestions welcome of course!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
First of all, thanks for your effort. I just tried downloading the preset from Axe-Change. Then tried loading using the latest firmware (12.02) and imported using the latest Axe-Edit (3.00.03). I ended up w/a blank preset (note: I also tried uploading w/Fractal-Bot w/same result). Is it possible the preset (or upload) is corrupt?

thanks again for your effort!

I've made the patch with FW12.03 Beta

Maybe ....that's the issue. I'm at a gig now...but I'll verify the patch and see if it is corrupt when I get home.

Thanks

Uploaded again to Axechange.....

I downloaded both files and the files are ok! FADUMPCHECK also indicates Valid File Size!

Again, I created the patch with FW12.03Beta.

Update:

You MUST USE FW12.03BETA!!

Otherwise a "Blank" preset will result.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

I'll update the patch again when the official FW12.03 is released.

Hello !
I was trying to download the Steel Pedal patch now in 2024 :D on my Fractal FM3 and the FM3 Edit doesn't accept it.
So I was trying to use the pitch block on one of my presets to replicate the instructions indicated by @reclavea here above.

I don't understand what type of pitch block is able to act on the single frequencies in order to bring the 5th to the 6th and the 3rd to the 4th ( via the use of an expression pedal of course )

I am looking to either get a pre-made patch that is able to do this or understand how to set a pitch block to do this !

Thanks for letting me know !
Titus

Back
Top Bottom