Passive or active FRFR?

Andy G

Inspired
I'm looking to get a FRFR setup, and just toying with options at the moment. It needs to be relatively cheap (<AUD$1000). Weight is less of an issue. I know this has been covered a bit, but I was hoping someone may have had experience with the specific gear in question and might be able to chime in...

I already have a Crown XLS202 power amp (145 Watts into 8 ohms), and could potentially pair this with a passive FRFR monitor. My main question is - does the Crown power amp work well for this, or should I just go for an active monitor?

I've also been considering one of either the Matrix FR12 or FR10 powered monitors. Are there any other 'low-cost' (i.e. not Atomic CLR :() options that people would recommend?

Also interested to hear if there are any more reviews of the FR10 - there's only a few out there that I can find.

Cheers!

Andrew

I'm looking to get a FRFR setup, and just toying with options at the moment. It needs to be relatively cheap (<AUD$1000). Weight is less of an issue. I know this has been covered a bit, but I was hoping someone may have had experience with the specific gear in question and might be able to chime in...

I already have a Crown XLS202 power amp (145 Watts into 8 ohms), and could potentially pair this with a passive FRFR monitor. My main question is - does the Crown power amp work well for this, or should I just go for an active monitor?

I've also been considering one of either the Matrix FR12 or FR10 powered monitors. Are there any other 'low-cost' (i.e. not Atomic CLR :() options that people would recommend?

Also interested to hear if there are any more reviews of the FR10 - there's only a few out there that I can find.

Cheers!

Andrew

Andy, what do you use it for?Life, home/studio recordings?

Sorry, missed the most important bit!

I'll be using it semi-regularly as fold-back when I play at my church. Other than that it will be home use, although I play through headphones a lot of the time so I don't disturb housemates. Maybe some home recording at some stage.

If you buy active speakers and the power section blows, you have an expensive set of doorstops. With passive speakers, when the power amp breaks - you can just get a new amp, or you can even get a new amp when you just feel like it...

I have both, if I were to do it again, I'd go active all the way. Less gear to handle, usually built-in DSP for different uses or positions, active crossovers possible, amp (or even dual amps) that are matched to the drivers. If an amp blows well that speaker is dead and it can be replaced, but you use a common amp for your passives, then all the speakers will not work. Lesson - always have a backup if possible. The only drawback that I can see with actives, the extra power cable for each speaker.

I have both, if I were to do it again, I'd go active all the way. Less gear to handle, usually built-in DSP for different uses or positions, active crossovers possible, amp (or even dual amps) that are matched to the drivers. If an amp blows well that speaker is dead and it can be replaced, but you use a common amp for your passives, then all the speakers will not work. Lesson - always have a backup if possible. The only drawback that I can see with actives, the extra power cable for each speaker.
+1 to this. ^

BTW if you can change spark plugs, you can replace the internal amp of an active speaker yourself if you need to.

I also have two separate rigs. One with active speakers, the other with power amp & passive cab. The active speakers are more portable. You can also use ordinary XLR and/or 1/4" instrument cables with them.

As for brands, add Xitone to your possible shopping list. There are even a couple of very recent threads here about it. Mick Farlow from Xitone has a stellar track record.

+1 to this. ^

BTW if you can change spark plugs, you can replace the internal amp of an active speaker yourself if you need to.

I also have two separate rigs. One with active speakers, the other with power amp & passive cab. The active speakers are more portable. You can also use ordinary XLR and/or 1/4" instrument cables with them.

As for brands, add Xitone to your possible shopping list. There are even a couple of very recent threads here about it. Mick Farlow from Xitone has a stellar track record.

I've built many guitar pedals and a couple of valve amps, so replacing an internal amp wouldn't be a major drama if it comes to it.

Yeah, I'd looked at Xitone, but wasn't sure if they ship to Australia? I'll investigate.

Thanks everyone for the opinions. It seems an active setup might be the way to go. :)

Personally, I'm leaning towards passive. My plan is to put a 1U Matrix amp in my 4U rack (2U for the AxeFX, 1U for the power conditioner) and then use a passive XiTone wedge. The weight difference in the rack should be trivial, and it leaves open the option of using a guitar cabinet if I want, and possibly using whatever is on hand (like a stage monitor wedge) if I want to travel really light.

I've built many guitar pedals and a couple of valve amps, so replacing an internal amp wouldn't be a major drama if it comes to it.

Yeah, I'd looked at Xitone, but wasn't sure if they ship to Australia? I'll investigate.

Thanks everyone for the opinions. It seems an active setup might be the way to go. :)

I do ship to Australia for sure. Send me a note if you haven't already and I'll gladly get you a shipping quote

Back
Top Bottom