Opinions wanted - looper pedals

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
I'm trying to debate between two looper pedals:
- Boss RC-50
- Digitech Jamman Delay Looper

... and have to mail order, so trying them out is not an option...

I think the Jamman has the definite advantage of being stereo, and the ability to add a memory card to increase storage. Other than that, I don't really have enough to choose one over the other (or any other contenders, for that matter).

Here's what I would REALLY like from a looper: the ability to keep adding layers to a loop, but more importantly, being able to remove some of the layers. I know some loopers will let you delete the last layer you added, but I don't know if any of the available loopers will allow you to do this:
- record first layer, start looping
- add another layer
- add a third layer
- "disable" or "silence" the second layer
- optionally, re-enable the silenced layer
... etc... with obviously more and more layers, and having control of what is audible or not.

I also need GOOD quantization capabilities. Drummers can't seem to play nice with loopers, so some features to quantize to a bpm would be key.

Opinions, good or bad, would be welcome. Thanks.

I have the RC-50 and am happy with it.

Its does have an 'undo' and you can erase parts of a patch depending on how you build it up (3 pedals each of which can be layered)
---> having said that - it isn't nearly as adaptable as what you are asking
Does have quantization
Decent MIDI support

Some nits: no way to erase a whole patch
not expandable

Be careful about the JamMan, the new generation has different foot pedals that click very audible whenever kicked. In quiet situations that can be very annoying. That was the reason I returned the JamMan. I chose - IMHO - the best of both worlds, the Boomerang III for creative loops and the new Boss RC-30 for saved loops and some nice effect-laden loops.

Here's what I would REALLY like from a looper: the ability to keep adding layers to a loop, but more importantly, being able to remove some of the layers. I know some loopers will let you delete the last layer you added, but I don't know if any of the available loopers will allow you to do this:
- record first layer, start looping
- add another layer
- add a third layer
- "disable" or "silence" the second layer
- optionally, re-enable the silenced layer
... etc... with obviously more and more layers, and having control of what is audible or not.

The Looperaltive LP-1 can do this, but they're expensive!!

I have a Boomerang III and a Boss RC-50 too - the best looper for me would be a symbiosis of both worlds ...

But Boomerang have now an additional "Side Car" for the Rang III with nice features for better operation.

The looper from Boomerang looks really cool, if you have ever checked the youtube videos from lowercase noises, that guy really knows how to use it to create great ambient jams BUT… my eyes are still bleeding from seeing their chorus/delay pedal and website in COMIC SANS, I thought only fulltone ocd (ab)used that font :S

Back
Top Bottom