'Old" Satriani sound

I was always fascinated by the "flying in a blue dream" guitar sound , just a small clip , sound a bit too "direct" , but the "spirit" is there i think (i hope !)

Axe fx II FW9

Don't forget that part of Satriani's sound over the years has been the Palmer Speaker Simulator and that'd sure give you a direct sound. Don't know about that particular album though. I found your clip to be really in the spirit and quite accurate!

Don't forget that part of Satriani's sound over the years has been the Palmer Speaker Simulator and that'd sure give you a direct sound. Don't know about that particular album though. I found your clip to be really in the spirit and quite accurate!
If you have the Palmer speaker simulator can you make an IR of it? tia

Last edited:

Satch recorded Flying In A Blue Dream many years before he started using Palmers. I'm pretty sure he was just using some particularly tasty Marshalls with actual cabs during that early period. The Palmers didn't come in until either Crystal Planet or Strange Beautiful Music, when he started recording a lot of guitar tracks at home.

The Brit Brown or one of the Plexis with a drive in front should get you into early Satch territory with the right tweaking.

Thank goodness Satch mostly got away from the Palmer for his most recent album. I thought his guitar sound took a dive when he started using it. He's a guy who could REALLY benefit from having an AFX2 in his home studio rack! :D

thanks for the comments , i agree it sound a little bit too present and too direct .
here's an aopinion about flying in a blue dream sound :
here (joe satriani - interact > talk to joe) he says
"on the track "Flying..." I was using a JS1000 prototype Ibanez guitar into a Boss DS-1, into a Boogie MK2 head, into a 4x12 Boogie speaker bottom. "Crystal Planet" was a JS1000 into a Whammy pedal, a Fulltone Ultimate Octave pedal, into a Peavey 5150, into a Marshall 4x12 bottom. Both setups were using a Shure 57 mic....I hope that answers your questiion...Joe"

but i always heard something special in the "top end" , don't know what it was and i found this :
Joe Satriani - Australian Interview (1988) - YouTube

and this :
Satriani's Gear - Flying in a Blue Dream album

the jc120 , in fact the "aluminium" cone !

in my sample i did'nt use it (the amp) , but the mesa lead 2 , with the jc120 IR : works great to me and make the "satch" signature

edit : guitar used is a jeff beck CS strat

Last edited:
Great tips I just tried the jc120 IR and that top end is right there! now all we need is a DS-1 model, I think I remember cliff saying he had some interest in modeling that one.

Funny you mention that about that high end tone , always thought it had something to do with the speaker ,the cone or the paper ,you can hear it ,like the notes squawking ,hard to explain . Thanks for the tip :D

Haven't listened to that album for ages, but that sounds pretty spot on from my memory. Great touch/playing as well.

Love Satriani...though i've never been a huge fan of his tone over the years...but lately his tone is great IMO. I believe he is back on Marshalls now...likin his work on Chickenfoot

Very close tone!

I would willingly send my Keeley DS-1 over to Cliff to take a look at. It has some mojo- I bought it off Dave Weiner (Steve Vai's rhythm guitarist for those who dont know him by name)!

I found the closest to DS-1 territory was the tube driver. Added that huge ds-1 sustain/smoothness. Never quite made it to the pedal itself though.

I would willingly send my Keeley DS-1 over to Cliff to take a look at. It has some mojo- I bought it off Dave Weiner (Steve Vai's rhythm guitarist for those who dont know him by name)!
Cool you bought it off Dave( great player),I never bonded with mine,guess Dave didn't either:D

Back
Top Bottom