OH HGE Question

Jbmetal

Inspired
So, I'm wanting to pick up some of Kevin's new IRs, but I'm stumped as to what the difference between the Chinese and English version is and how the impedances alter the tone. Some examples or explanations would be fantastic.

this has been asked, including by me 2 x on the thread that deals with it. apparently there is no answer, except buy them all.

I just wrote this on another thread:

"Just bought the Diezel (Chinese, 8-ohm) last night. Haven't gotten to try all the mics/mixes yet, but I'm really digging it so far. Based on my experience with some of the other OwnHammer IR's, I find the English V30's to actually be a little too warm/smooth/dark in the mids, but since I'm mainly using a very bright-sounding guitar, I figured the 16-ohm version might be a bit over the top. Anyway, I'm very happy with my decision."

Like I mentioned, I have found the English V30's to be a little too warm/smooth in the mids for some of my needs. (I like a bit more crunch, somewhat reminiscent of a Greenback.) It's my understanding that 16-ohm speakers, in general, are a little brighter and more aggressive in the upper mids than 8-ohms. I went with the Chinese 8-ohms because they seemed like a happy medium between the English 8-ohms and the Chinese 16-ohms. Of course, I'm definitely no expert. ;)

I would have to agree with ChicoClint. I find the English speakers a bit too dark for my taste, with not enough upper mids and treble. I'll have to really listen again to the 8-ohm and 16-ohm Chinese versions to really try to quantify the difference. At first listen I found them to have different voicings but not necessarily one brighter than the other. I thought they both sounded great, but different enough that it's nice to have both, as one may work well with one amp and the other might work better with another.

Glad I put the money up front with Ownhammer when he had that promotion several months ago, because getting all of them was a no-brainer for me and I still have enough credit to last for a few more nice sets... If he were to do a Mills Afterburner with these speakers I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

Back
Top Bottom