OEM LCD driver chip

So many people have been asking in different threads what this is and if there is going to be a new Axe Fx with a different display. So I thought that question might get more attention if it was given its own thread!

Someone please explain! :lol:

Basically, LCDs (the screens) are connected to the microcontroller (an inexpensive, low power microprocessor) using some kind of interface. There's a chip that on one side connects to the LCD panel itself (i.e. the glass plate with liquid crystal in it) and on the other provides that interface to the microcontroller so that it could talk to it. Microcontroller can send data to this chip, and it will then convert it into a matrix of which pixels need voltage applied to them to switch them on.

My guess is the new OEM supplies the LCD with a different driver chip and Cliff made changes in the firmware to accommodate both the new and the old one. This has nothing to do with signal processing or tone - it's strictly for the LCD on the front panel.

plexi59 said:
Basically, LCDs (the screens) are connected to the microcontroller (an inexpensive, low power microprocessor) using some kind of interface. There's a chip that on one side connects to the LCD panel itself (i.e. the glass plate with liquid crystal in it) and on the other provides that interface to the microcontroller so that it could talk to it. Microcontroller can send data to this chip, and it will then convert it into a matrix of which pixels need voltage applied to them to switch them on.

My guess is the new OEM supplies the LCD with a different driver chip and Cliff made changes in the firmware to accommodate both the new and the old one. This has nothing to do with signal processing or tone - it's strictly for the LCD on the front panel.

I'm in agreement with you that this is not a sign of any core functional changes to the axe. However, after observing the level of fine tuning Cliff does through repeated firmware releases I wouldn't put it past him to have found a "better" LCD screen. Brighter, better contrast ratio, sharper, whatever. Its also worth mentioning that he has, in theory, been working on the MFC which has an LCD in it. So its safe to assume he's been sourcing out parts for that. In the process he may have stream-lined his supply chain by getting the MFC and all Axe-Fx LCD components from one source. However this is purely speculation.

Back
Top Bottom