not worth £2000

If this individual has had issues with the built-in audio interface in the AxeFX 2, I believe him/her. As someone else said, I don't think criticism toward the AxeFX should be met with cries of, "burn him at the stake!".

That said, it appears the majority of the people here are pretty happy with the AxeFX 2's digital output capabilities. My only issue is being locked to 48k output, personally.

At the end of the day if you have enough scratch to drop on an AxeFX 2, you can pay a bit more for a decent audio interface if you need one.

Am I misunderstanding something here ? Is not the AXE Fx used to record many Professional guitar tracks ?
Any how, in this recording newbs experience . I did want the ability to record great guitar tones and I got that with the axe . I was miking up tube amps recording into a DAW with a Focusrite interface and the tones were ok but to get any kind of amplitude I had to turn the amps up so loud . Granted I am simply an amateur hour hobbyist . But I can record any tones ( great tones ) with the axe at any volume into my computer .
If I ever found a need for a high end interface / sound card I'd get one. For me the AXEFXII is a fantastic guitar tone machine which also happens to function as one of my little home studios interfaces and does that very admirably as well.

Well, every word in this long thread has been written before.
It takes one idiot to waste a lot of peoples time.

Ok, c'mon. Let us at least acknowledge that this guy started out with great praise for the Axe.
OP, the thread title may have been a poor choice. The box is worth 2k+ even without USB anything, IMO.
Entrenched Axe Defenders, our 2k+ box is NOT worth name calling and embarrassing ourselves. I love to read this forum because it is more about ideas, community and problem solving than about who is a doo-doo-head. Although, there does certainly seem to be a contingent of folks who attack people for criticizing anything Fractal. I am thinking about the recent issue with the Recto models. A couple of guys said they sounded weird/bad/wrong, and a number of crusaders lambasted those dudes- recommending that they sell their Axes and all. "USER ERROR, DOOFUS! IF IT SOUNDS BAD YOU ARE AN IDIOT! AXE FX IS BETTER THAN GOLD PLATED TITTIES!" And then Cliff said he entered a value wrong, and promptly fixed the problem.

Let's lighten up a little. Everyone is entitled to their opinions (even if they are wrong, LOL).

:wtf:.gif

In England we have an expression which I am willing to share with the rest of the world :- A bad workman blames his tools.

I was demoing the AF2 in Liverpool, doing my usual trick of challenging the uninitiated to best the 2U wonder, and some local lad asked if he could have a Soldano amp through a Recto Cab. He thought he had me. Anyway I put them in on a blank patch, I even gave him an extra cab - well I was feeling flush - handed him my guitar and gave him a set of cans. He was totally amazed. He handed the cans and guitar to his mate to play, and said "That sounds really good, and it shouldn't sound that good because you're hearing it through headphones.". When I told him that the Axe cost about £2K his even more impressed. I didn't realise why until he told me that, in the UK, a Soldano SLO-100 costs over £3000. We had a laugh when I then asked him "And how much for the Recto cabs?".

I've just looked it up, and it's £849 for a Recto Cab and £3,152.85 for the SLO-100!

A big thank you to Cliff Chase and Andy Hunt for making my life cheaper and lighter.

Last edited:
Yeah let's lighten up. After all he said he loved the Axe II. He didn't really say anything that most people disagree with. He just said it in a provocative way.

ok guys, thanks for the abuse and name calling, nice forum, opinions are opinions, but to name call is a little child like me thinks,

anyway, if you read my point i didn't say this was my only sound card in fact i have 2, RME 800 and focusrite pro 56, which are my main interfaces with my DAW,
What i'm saying is after a lengthy test out of the 3 the axe fx 2 came last buy a mile.
the axe fx 2 is the Ferrari of guitar modular and to fit it with a cheap sound card is to me a bit of a rip and cost could have been kept down by FAS. you don't put wind up windows in a Ferrari and this what it feels like. also if any of you actually read comments from users many of them do stipulate issues and problems as this forum is full of it, thread after thread. yes i did buy the axe fx for guitar and guitar only in the studio and playing live which im chuffed with but there are many folks out there with not much cash and would love an axe fx 2 but have to compromise on what to buy. so again my point is don't buy it to have as a sole interface as many of you have already pointed out in this thread because you have better.

so, welcome to the forum and make sure you all know what your saying before you all talk crap......

Triorg, I think you may just have said this at a 'bad time'. If you think this is bad, you should have seen the kick off on the UK forum TheFretboard.co.uk last week. Some bloke went mental just because he got a facepalm rating on one of his posts. The ensuing result was that due to his rant he got more facepalms.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. I think you'll find that we're a pretty mellow lot.

ok guys, thanks for the abuse and name calling, nice forum, opinions are opinions, but to name call is a little child like me thinks,

anyway, if you read my point i didn't say this was my only sound card in fact i have 2, RME 800 and focusrite pro 56, which are my main interfaces with my DAW,
What i'm saying is after a lengthy test out of the 3 the axe fx 2 came last buy a mile.
the axe fx 2 is the Ferrari of guitar modular and to fit it with a cheap sound card is to me a bit of a rip and cost could have been kept down by FAS. you don't put wind up windows in a Ferrari and this what it feels like. also if any of you actually read comments from users many of them do stipulate issues and problems as this forum is full of it, thread after thread. yes i did buy the axe fx for guitar and guitar only in the studio and playing live which im chuffed with but there are many folks out there with not much cash and would love an axe fx 2 but have to compromise on what to buy. so again my point is don't buy it to have as a sole interface as many of you have already pointed out in this thread because you have better.

so, welcome to the forum and make sure you all know what your saying before you all talk crap......

:roll

I have no issue with someone who criticizes the Axe-Fx.
But he who uses words as the OP does, can expect similarly voiced responses.

And do get the facts right.
The Axe-Fx interface doesn't add more latency in my experience than other interfaces I tried.
And it's easy to understand why the Axe-Fx's output level can vary. And it's also easy to adjust.

most people DO have issues with that and that's a big problem in this forum IMHO :/

i agree 100% on the OP/issue or at least i can understand what it is about.

i also do not see any "bad words" in this post, it's just, well the truth.

the built in audio interface can handle mono/stereo recording and even
simultaneous recording of dry/wet signals but as soon as anyhting else comes into play it becomes completely unusable.

i know most people here record over a mp3 backing, that's ok, i also don't have any issues doing so but as soon as you
include a drum vsti everything gets messed up, just a simple example.

speaking of latency, USB devices in general are not the best, no matter if low budget or expensive as hell.
the axe does not add latency it just works with a noticeable latency just as any other USB interface.

personally i use a fairly expensive PCI audio device which has built in hardware direct monitoring,
believe it or not but that's two completely different things :)

Back
Top Bottom