Not getting what I want out of my Axe...

grunge782 - seek out my JCM800 patch or my JCM800 tweak guide for v. 9.00 firmware. My presets are designed for FRFR, but the JCM800 in the Axe is dead on with real life for any range of JCM800 tones you could seek. I've spent a considerable amount of time on this forum trying to share how to dial up the JCM800. Search out my threads. You might have different needs or tastes, but a good rhythm JCM800 isn't hard to get if you know the amp from analog experience.

No flame, no sarcasm, no condescension. Just honesty.

Scott Peterson said:
grunge782 - seek out my JCM800 patch or my JCM800 tweak guide for v. 9.00 firmware. My presets are designed for FRFR, but the JCM800 in the Axe is dead on with real life for any range of JCM800 tones you could seek. I've spent a considerable amount of time on this forum trying to share how to dial up the JCM800. Search out my threads. You might have different needs or tastes, but a good rhythm JCM800 isn't hard to get if you know the amp from analog experience.

+1 on Scott's JCM patch, it's great.

@Grunge: just checking:

- Output1 connected to the power amp input(s)?
- Cabinet simulation disabled? (Global > Config)
- Power amp simulation disabled? (Global > Config)
- Output set to mono? (I/O > Audio)
- Guitar goes into front input?
- Front input selected? (I/O > Mode)
- Global EQ neutral? (Global > Out1)
- Input level set? (red LED should light up occasionally)
- EQ: as a starting point block the low end below 100Hz and the high end above 6kHz

Scott Peterson said:

Ok I'll take a look :). Any chance you have the links? If not, its cool ill hunt them down.

yek said:
Scott Peterson said:

+1 on Scott's JCM patch, it's great.

@Grunge: just checking:

- Output1 connected to the power amp input(s)?
Yes. I do have a question though, should a SS poweramp (specifically in my case the MosValve) have its level/gain cranked all the way? Or does it not matter?

- Cabinet simulation disabled? (Global > Config)
Yes this is disabled.

- Power amp simulation disabled? (Global > Config)
This is not. I am running a SS poweramp so I thought that the poweramp was necessary. I also find that a lot of my favorite amps depend on quirks and qualities specific to its poweramp.

- Output set to mono? (I/O > Audio)
It's set as "Copy L->R".

- Guitar goes into front input?
Yes.

- Front input selected? (I/O > Mode)
Analog front is selected.

- Global EQ neutral? (Global > Out1)
Yes.

- Input level set? (red LED should light up occasionally)
I fuck around with this thing so much because of the different guitars I keep using with it. But I have it set pretty well in balance with the red barely going when I strike hard.

- EQ: as a starting point block the low end below 100Hz and the high end above 6kHz
I'll try this out and get back to you.

rsf1977 said:
Yes when using solid state power amp sims should be on

Ok cool, I really doubted the straight preamp signal through a SS poweramp would sound "good".

Do you know about the whole to crank the level or not to crank it on a SS?

grunge782 said:
rsf1977 said:

Ok cool, I really doubted the straight preamp signal through a SS poweramp would sound "good".

From what i heard from Jay Mitchell, don't quote me on this. But the signal coming from the axe-fx doesn't sound better or worse the more you turn it up or down on the axe-fx output. And as long as the signal isn't really really low hitting the power amp or really really high clipping the input, it's all going to sort of sound the same. So anything in the middle is really up to you.

Personally, read the manual on your poweramp it might give you some idea what the best settings are for it to perform it's best then just use the axe-fx output knob to control the overall volume

rsf1977 said:
grunge782 said:
rsf1977 said:

From what i heard from Jay Mitchell, don't quote me on this. But the signal coming from the axe-fx doesn't sound better or worse the more you turn it up or down on the axe-fx output. And as long as the signal isn't really really low hitting the power amp or really really high clipping the input, it's all going to sort of sound the same. So anything in the middle is really up to you.

Personally, read the manual on your poweramp it might give you some idea what the best settings are for it to perform it's best then just use the axe-fx output knob to control the overall volume

Ok cool! I just wasn't sure if there was a general rule of "SS poweramp maxed is better"

Back
Top Bottom