Noise Gate

@FractalAudio here it is. (preset in attached link )
I'm in 50hz as I'm in europe

intelligent input gate doesnt filter the noise while playing, when it is set to have no noise between notes or chords.
when I pump up the 2 first settings of the gate, weird tones are coming . Video Is private as ever when it concerns troubles, I dont want to do bad commercials about the axe.
This guitar is an usa strat with di marzio humbuckers in small format, this guitar is one of the less noisy I own . And it is also copper taped

futzing with the Gate settings in this patch it almost seems like Release needs to be able to go lower in order to get it clamping down faster. The dedicated Gate Block is noticably faster with a minimum release of 1ms instead of the Input block gate's 10ms. I wonder if Kemper is doing a little "look ahead peekaboo" and sacrificing some latency in order to make their gate faster? Letting notes ring out I do notice the somewhat reduced noise while the note is ringing as per Fractals post above.

futzing with the Gate settings in this patch it almost seems like Release needs to be able to go lower in order to get it clamping down faster. The dedicated Gate Block is noticably faster with a minimum release of 1ms instead of the Input block gate's 10ms. I wonder if Kemper is doing a little "look ahead peekaboo" and sacrificing some latency in order to make their gate faster? Letting notes ring out I do notice the somewhat reduced noise while the note is ringing as per Fractals post above.
I was messing with that by using a compressor with look ahead in a sidechain. I didn't think it helped much.

I don't have time to look into this now but it sounds like your ratio is set too high. Play around with the threshold and ratio and see if that helps. I'll take a look at the gate at some point but I have too many more pressing things right now.
But now we wanna know what those more pressing things are (assuming they're fw update related) 😛

Yes clamping down too is not fast in the input gate. But to me the main problem is that the noise is not filtered while playing or doing a sound, except if you turn up the setting a lot, and when you do this … aliens 👽 are coming.

I don’t like when the gate open and close super fast, it don’t sound natural .

Yes it’s cool that here we have an answer. It seems that the 30 others pages of the other topic hasn’t been read.

To chime in, I think some terms are being used interchangeably, which leads to confusion. It isn't an issue of "gating" in the traditional sense, but rather noise removal, where the noise is heard between notes or the signal decaying into the noise.

This can be due to preamp hiss and fx pedal noise (OD's) or simply being in a noisy environment (Computer, Lights, Electronics, etc.). Of course, proper gain staging should be practiced at every level to ensure optimal SNR. However, getting an appropriate (i.e., Saturated) high-gain tone with minimal or less than audible noise between notes can still be challenging.

I've realized that some of it can result from how specific effects are routed on the grid, and it's best to optimize each scene for the particular needs and use cases (such as Rhythm, Lead, Clean, etc.). But still, I have had good experiences with plug-ins that experience this issue less, though I'm unsure if that depends on the amp or the noise reduction pedal being modeled.

It would be nice if the gate block had the same noise reducing types as the input block, especially if enhancements are forthcoming.

I think the Noise Reduction type always has to be first in the chain to work correctly.

I think the Noise Reduction type always has to be first in the chain to work correctly.
That's possible, I don't know. In any case, the use case where it's important is first in the chain anyway, right after the input. The Input block noise reduction/gate currently doesn't work in certain situations, so the workaround is to put a gate block immediately after the input. But then you lose some noise reduction features. If the input block were to get noise reduction enhancements, this problem would become more acute. If the gate block could have the same noise reduction features as the input block, it would solve this problem.

The above is not an accurate description of a noise gate for several reasons.

1. To say "no noise" is incorrect. The ratio of the gate determines its strength, from 20:1 (extreme) to 1:1 (no effect)

2. The noise gate does not discriminate "notes" from any other sound.

Also, I recommend that you look into the difference between our "Classic" and "Intelligent" noise gates. I have yet to meet a gate problem that can't be solved with one or the other. These have included aggressive artistic djenty clamping vs. standing next to a neon sign in a club above a taxi company's transmitter.

Some good ways to reduce background noise include: use quieter pickups, shield your guitar, use good cables, eliminate external interference, reduce gain, and stand/sit in an orientation that reduces 60 cycle hum.
I had a snake den of 15-20 cables sitting behind my desk going to nothing at all. Just twisted up and in the way. After I rolled them up and got them away from my signal path, I swear my desk got quieter.

Back
Top Bottom