Noise Gate

Jalevinemd

Inspired
I have NEVER played with a noise gate before. The group I'm playing with now rehearses very loud. I'm finding that with my lead setting on the FX8 (really just a RAT with the drive and level each set around 8), I'm getting a bit of squealing if I'm not playing. Was curious to know what basic Gate setting from the main menu page I might try. Also, what is the difference between that and using a Gate Block?

Think of the noise gate found in the menu as a freebie Noise Gate block included in every preset. You can only use it on IN 1 [PRE], though - if you're running 4CM and want to try and suppress feedback squeal issues, you'll want to try the gate after your amps's preamp (so a Noise Gate block as your first POST effect).

High gain users should chime in on the effectiveness of gating out feedback (that's what your squeals are). As a low gain / roots / rock player, I only ever use a gate to suppress the occasional noisy single coil on various guitars. The squeals need to be quieter than your quietest playing for the gate to be effective. You might also try notching out the specific frequency of the feedback using the global GEQ, or dialing it out on your amp EQ.

If your volume is up louder than normal, you might be able to get away with reducing your preamp gain which should help a bunch and then you won't have to run your gate as high

I'm not running 4CM. I have no idea how to begin setting up the gate in the global menu. I've read the little section in the manual and tried playing around with it to no avail. If there are any high gain players reading this, would you mind sharing your noise gate recipe with me? :encouragement:

An input noise gate is only for noise coming from the guitar. If there is too much volume and you are feeding back (squealing) then a noise gate won't really help. A Gate block after the amp might be able to do something, but it's very limited if the "bad noise" is just as loud as the "good noise."

Chris...I'm running the FX8 straight into the front end of my amp. It has no effects loop, so I can't run 4CM. So what do you mean when you say a Gate Block "after" the amp?

If you aren't running 4cm, then yes, you can't put a gate after your amp (or after the preamp in 4cm).

Squeal and feedback isn't "noise" to a noise gate. Hum and chhhhh from the guitar which is then amplified by effects and amp gain is though, and that's what the Noise Gate is for. When you aren't playing your guitar and it's making sound with higher gain. Typical noise gate settings might be Thresh -70, Ratio 4, attack and release default.

Again, feedback from being loud usually can't be controlled by a gate and needs to be fixed at the source - move the speaker farther away, don't point the guitar pickups directly at the speaker, etc. It's physics.

Chris...Thanks.

I'll play around with the gate a bit more. But, as you alluded to, I'll probably just back off the drive a hair and see if that doesn't tame the squeal.

Chris...Thanks.

I'll play around with the gate a bit more. But, as you alluded to, I'll probably just back off the drive a hair and see if that doesn't tame the squeal.

If you want to keep OD as is just roll back the "level" on page 1 and keep the "drive" value. Turning up the gate will spoil your tone.

Having a similar problem here. FAT RAT model with drive above 10 clock is just too noisy.
Is everybody in the same situation?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom