Noise gate/s settings

Easy lol as I've mentioned as well, this doesn't occur in a constant environment with other digital devices.....and is corrected with an external gate. Don't need to insult people
He has been the one insulting. I am sick of it already. I am trying to deal with an actual problem. I already told him to bother someone else, but he can't help it like a 5 year old.

ron burgundy GIF

Ah, my bad. Well yes, I have the same issue as you for the most part it seems
No troll here, The gate don’t work very good in the axe, and we are 3 including you feeling the same type of issues. The op is pretty nervous . And yes I had fun reading that someone putting 3 gates feels some tone issues then I skipped to another thing

No troll here, The gate don’t work very good in the axe, and we are 3 including you feeling the same type of issues. The op is pretty nervous . And yes I had fun reading that someone putting 3 gates feels some tone issues then I skipped to another thing
No troll? You seem to be having a grand time laughing and insulting over and over. You are the one threatening to break my nose. I am here to try and solve an issue.

But still poking at me about 3. You can keep on, but I am done.
After you mentioned your problem with high gain, you have 3 guys including me discussing that we all have « problems » with the gate with high gain. So you are not alone . Only fractal can resolve the problem. Some guys bought an external gate, some guys live with it …

Last edited:
I can clearly understand what you are talking about. I experience the very same thing and it bothers me. With my Diezel VHX, the noise gate works so much better to be honest. If you pick lightly, there is no noise, no artifacts, just tone (with gate enabled). With fractal gate, the lighter I pick, the more noise it’s bleeding through. I am talking here comparing vhx with fractal with same guitars, cab, cables etc. On vhx, the gain is set even higher than on fractal, but the noise is significantly higher on fractal and that’s strange, because as we know, fractal is not modeling the noise and there is no thermal noise, etc. but still, my tube amp has lot less noise while playing.
This has been my experience as well. I'm not talking about noise between notes. But rather, the noise (hiss, buzz, chopping, etc.) embedded within the chord/note itself. Then of course, as you let that chord or note ring out, it eventually decays into the noise floor. I have patches with different gate/amp/gain settings to remedy this a bit, but I haven't found an ideal solution yet.

Last edited:
ok ok I have done a lot of test with the noise gate to try to improve this "noise while playing/when there is a note"

first , with an od as boost that's the worst.

then I tried everything in the input gate . to minimize the noise you need to pump up the threshold a lot, and then it s not a ground noise that you hear but a weird digital sound behind ...

the attack at zero give more noise

the only thing that seems to minimize it is changing the input impedance . when set to auto, with 1M this is the more noisy. but the thing is that when you change to 22k for example, the sound is a little bit muffled. how to know which impedance you need to put in ?

then I remove the input gate completely and tried with the noise gate block. first it seems less noisy, but the sound is eaten .

So i stick to my previous settings and the problem is not resolved yet. When you record , in a mix, or in practice room you dont hear it, but alone with the axe argh.

Ah , i dont have tried with headphone ! let's try. I hate playing with headphone but let see .

edit : with headphone the noise still there, and 100 times more audible hahaha , ok , so this is not the mixer, speaker system but the axe directly

ok ok I have done a lot of test with the noise gate to try to improve this "noise while playing/when there is a note"

first , with an od as boost that's the worst.

then I tried everything in the input gate . to minimize the noise you need to pump up the threshold a lot, and then it s not a ground noise that you hear but a weird digital sound behind ...

the attack at zero give more noise

the only thing that seems to minimize it is changing the input impedance . when set to auto, with 1M this is the more noisy. but the thing is that when you change to 22k for example, the sound is a little bit muffled. how to know which impedance you need to put ?

then I remove the input gate completely and tried with the noise gate block. first it seems less noisy, but the sound is eaten .

So i stick to my previous settings and the problem is not resolved yet. When you record , in a mix, or in practice room you dont hear it, but alone with the axe argh.

Ah , i dont have tried with headphone ! let's try. I hate playing with headphone but let see .

edit : with headphone the noise still there, and 100 times more audible hahaha , ok , so this is not the mixer, speaker system but the axe directly
To me headphones is worse lol but yeah same issues again.....still working up the motivation with that Amazon Donner Noise Killer lol clip

To me headphones is worse lol but yeah same issues again.....still working up the motivation with that Amazon Donner Noise Killer lol clip
my god to the one playing with headphones:fearscream:

the thing with this type of problems, is that if you ignore them, you live way better . But the day you decide to stop these noise, you hear them X100

Last edited:
here is the demonstration of the problem, preset in attached link. first I just gently fret a note without playing it to show how the door of the "gate" opened as soon as there is a sound . this is the "intelligent" one . the more you play gently, the more is worse. and yes all the strings are muffled except the one palm muted.

@Mongillo19 done :)

Attachments

• shit test.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Cranking the Input1/Instrument up and disengaging the bright switch have had a huge impact on reducing the Hissssssss for me... thanks @blastbeatdown for that bright switch detail in an earlier post in this thread. The tone is a bit darker as a result but I feel like it can be compensated for with some EQ'ing and presence tweaks.

I always have one rule with noise gates........Don't use them !, I hate the way they work and sound tbh but horses for courses etc
When you have a noise gate that work great you don’t imagine the pleasure … total control of your sound. Before gates (in 1687) I’ve played with the volume knob or an volume pedal or turning on/off the dist pedal to shut the sound in a riff with a silence 🤦. We are in 2022, the axe 3 is normally the best modeler and cliff is able to simulate the dust in the tube, so having great basic effects is a priority. The one knob gate in the kemper man …( the rest is not at the level of the axe). The decimator … you just turn one knob to the point you are silent, with your hand in the fretboard, and then it does all the rest . No sound eaten, no noise …

If I remove the gate in the axe my gooood 😅 it’s already problematic with it so no way 😅

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom