No amp or cab is working.

no amp sound on any factory or custom preset. delay and reverbs still work.
can you please show another screen shot from AX8-Edit with the Amp block selected?

to my knowledge there is no setting to fully bypass the Amp block globally. you can bypass the power amp section specifically, but you'd still hear a buzzy hi-gain sound of the preamp, which you are not hearing.

i don't remember if the AX8 separated Amp and Cab on a separate CPU compared to the effects, but this is the only thing i can think of that would cause this - that CPU chip is not working. this is probably a very low probability but the only thing i can think of.

a solution in another similar thread was that a connected MIDI device was sending a command to mute or bypass the Amp block. but your pictures show the Amp block engaged, turned on.

not using midi. amp and cab, only, share one cpu board and a replacement would be over 1K, I was told by FTS. 1692308684937.png

If you create preset with only Amp block and cabled from input -> Amp -> output, do you get signal?
I get a signal and guitar tone with no amp model at all. should be a high gain Friedman sb50. it sounds even worse than plugging an electric guitar direct into the powered speaker...

I get a signal and guitar tone with no amp model at all. should be a high gain Friedman sb50. it sounds even worse than plugging an electric guitar direct into the powered speaker...
Guitar to input 1?

What output are you using and what does it go to next?

And you're connecting Output 1 to your monitors, not Output 2, right?

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas...

not using midi. amp and cab, only, share one cpu board and a replacement would be over 1K, I was told by FTS. View attachment 125365
1) Have you tried reinstalling the firmware? Maybe it might reset something and fix the problem for you.

2) Go to page 94 and read the last part. It mentions a recovery routine. I would try it just to see if anything changes.

3) @chris had mentioned "a solution in another similar thread was that a connected MIDI device was sending a command to mute or bypass the Amp block. but your pictures show the Amp block engaged, turned on." It got me thinking about it a little more.

I had gone to the I/O page and scrolled down to "AMP BYP" and it is set to 37 on my unit.

What are all the ways to make this turn on the amp bypass option?

Next, while on this page on the AX8 screen (I tried it on BANK 10 Preset 7 SOLO100 Lead), I then pushed down footswitch 1 and the Phaser turned on (Phaser is assigned to this preset footswitch 1).

I held down the footswitch 1 button (the "Y" lit up on footswitch 1) and then there was no amp sound BUT there was Reverb and Delay just like you stated is the issue for you.

The amp in the AX8-Edit looks like it is still engaged (turned on).

Could it be possible that something like this happened AND the muted amp/cab stayed muted (for every preset)?

Could it possibly be that the amp/cab are bypassed "globally" but look like they are still engaged (turned on)?

I had moved to another preset and the amp sounded again so I returned back to the one where the amp became muted by holding down footswitch 1 and only the Reverb and Delay were being heard.

It was normal again (I made sure I didn't save anything).

I did explore it a little more and tried hitting different footswitches than 1 (and held them down) to see if it would mute the amp/cab where the Reverb and Delay still sounded but only footswitch 1 did the muting of the amp when the footswitch 1 was held down.

I don't know why there is any muting of the amp when footswitch 1 is held down and "Y" lights up so maybe someone else knows and it might help shed some more light on this issue for you.

I feel what I was hearing is what you are describing regarding no amp being heard but you can hear the Reverb and Delay (you never mentioned any other effects being heard in your posts/replies).

Can you hear any other effects?

What about other amp models? Have you reset the amp block?

If you are just getting the raw sound of your guitar (i.e., the same as if you went input->output with no other blocks) it sounds like the amp block is being bypassed.

I don't recall if the ax8 has a bypass mode for the amp block, but if it does you should try setting it to "mute". If you then get no sound, the amp being bypassed is the issue.

I don't know why there is any muting of the amp when footswitch 1 is held down and "Y" lights up so maybe someone else knows and it might help shed some more light on this issue for you.
Did that just change the Amp block from X to Y? Maybe the Y "channel" was turned down?

Some possibly relevant finds in the AX8 manual:

"If a momentary footswitch is used to BYPASS/ENGAGE effects, the state of the effect is reversed by the action of a momentary switch. A block that is saved as ENABLED will by momentarily bypassed. A block that is saved as BYPASSED will by momentarily enabled. You can manually set the desired initial state by editing the block and using the front panel FX BYPASS button, or by double-clicking the block in AX8-Edit."

"The observant AX8 owner will notice that the BYPASS MODE parameter allows you to attach a MODIFIER. This modifier does not actually connect to the BYPASS MODE parameter! Instead, it controls the block’s BYPASS SWITCH. When a modifier is attached to this switch, it becomes the ONLY way that you can bypass or engage the effect. The footswitch will no longer work."

Did that just change the Amp block from X to Y? Maybe the Y "channel" was turned down?
It was the "Phaser" that had changed from X (Classic Vibe) to Y (Digital Mono).

And yeah, I did find that the Y had lower-level settings for the Mix and Level.

It did sound like a "clean" amp once I went to the "Y" channel on the Phaser and turning it back to "X" on the Phaser made it sound high-gain again.

Raising the setting level of "Level" for Y on the Phaser block did make it sound more high-gain so this may or may not be relevant to the OP's issue.

I know you reset the system parameters, but check to make sure the Power Amp Modeling and Cab Modeling are ON in the SETUP>GLOBAL SETTINGS. Page 79 in the last AX8 manual I downloaded is where the SETUP MENUS section is located.

Thank you all for all the help suggestions and advice!

1) Have you tried reinstalling the firmware? Maybe it might reset something and fix the problem for you. Yes

2) Go to page 94 and read the last part. It mentions a recovery routine. I would try it just to see if anything changes. tried that and reinstalled the firmware again with the same result.

3) @chris had mentioned "a solution in another similar thread was that a connected MIDI device was sending a command to mute or bypass the Amp block. but your pictures show the Amp block engaged, turned on." It got me thinking about it a little more.

I had gone to the I/O page and scrolled down to "AMP BYP" and it is set to 37 on my unit.

What are all the ways to make this turn on the amp bypass option? I'm not sure how many ways there are but the ones I have found have had not helped so far.

Next, while on this page on the AX8 screen (I tried it on BANK 10 Preset 7 SOLO100 Lead), I then pushed down footswitch 1 and the Phaser turned on (Phaser is assigned to this preset footswitch 1).

I held down the footswitch 1 button (the "Y" lit up on footswitch 1) and then there was no amp sound BUT there was Reverb and Delay just like you stated is the issue for you.

The amp in the AX8-Edit looks like it is still engaged (turned on).
Could it be possible that something like this happened AND the muted amp/cab stayed muted (for every preset)? good question. does anyone know about this?

Could it possibly be that the amp/cab are bypassed "globally" but look like they are still engaged (turned on)? Global is on and active.

I had moved to another preset and the amp sounded again so I returned back to the one where the amp became muted by holding down footswitch 1 and only the Reverb and Delay were being heard.

It was normal again (I made sure I didn't save anything).

I did explore it a little more and tried hitting different footswitches than 1 (and held them down) to see if it would mute the amp/cab where the Reverb and Delay still sounded but only footswitch 1 did the muting of the amp when the footswitch 1 was held down.

I don't know why there is any muting of the amp when footswitch 1 is held down and "Y" lights up so maybe someone else knows and it might help shed some more light on this issue for you. Thank you, I hope someone can shed some light on that for me.

I feel what I was hearing is what you are describing regarding no amp being heard but you can hear the Reverb and Delay (you never mentioned any other effects being heard in your posts/replies).

Can you hear any other effects? yes, all fx that I've tried on the factory presets so far work.

Thank you for helping!

Back
Top Bottom