NGD: PRS SE McCarty 594 Black/Gold

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
Earlier this Friday afternoon, about 4:30 PM, after I'd gone to work. Family member house-sat watching TV while waiting for FedEx to delivery carton. Apparently, FedEx neither knocked nor rang the doorbell, but family member texted that my new PRS SE 594 Black/Gold had arrived, and they would lock up and head home.

The carton sits unopened in my living room and will do so until late Saturday afternoon (mid-day meal prep takes precedent). Hoping the Saturday evening, photos will be taken and editing software will display the beauty of this guitar. It's got a tight, narrow flame in partial chevron that looks very much like a 10-top, but is not for it's an SE. If and when I can catch my breath after opening the gig bag, will be sure to provide images of this.

Now the waiting begins. My PRS Core McCarty (Non-10-Top) with upgraded Mannmade adjustable PRS bridge in Black/Gold is being offered in the FOR SALE section at a bargain basement price. The McCarty is in excellent shape and needs a new owner to take care of it. Coil-tap tone knob, locking Phase III tuners. Original non-adjustable bridge and bridge studs included. (Original studs were compromised when someone tried intonating this guitar without slackening the strings first. Bridge and studs replaced.)

Please view the FOR SALE section and check my eBay listing. Someone, somewhere in the CONUS, will want this guitar. And at the current price, it will sell quickly.

Here she is, my new PRS SE 594 McCarty...

pykfL12.jpg

76uPm5m.jpg

Last edited:
Well how’s it hold up against the core? Beautiful guitar!
Thanks, all,

The SE 594 McCarty has not yet been put through its paces yet, but my motivation to do so is strong. Monday will be my next available day when any in-depth experimentation could occur.

It's like trying to decide what recipe will work best for Thanksgiving. My feeling is that if the SE 594 plays well in my FM9 sandbox, we'll be good. If the SE 594 demands things too much its way, I can always build a new sandbox where the SE 594 can play.

The key is to see if the SE 594 can do most everything my current guitars can do without requiring too much FM9 tweaking.

She's a beauty!
Thanks, Joe,

I think among the group of SE 594's that were on sale at Dave's Guitar Shop, this one was among the top 3 SE's that displayed really nice tight flame. Dave's has some used pieces as well I considered, but the weight and tight flame were the deciding factors.

That’s a beauty!! Congratulations…let us know how she plays when you get some serious play time.
UPDATE:

Got a chance to test-drive my new McC SE 594 this afternoon for about 40 minutes.

FIT: Neck feels smooth, not gummy/sticky. Electronics positioned well, not difficult to reach, nor cumbersome. Double-cutaway enables higher register reach, though I seldom play way up the neck myself.

FORM: Comfortable body shape, 3-way toggle position OK where it is. No detectable fret tangs, though there might be some minor extrusions if one were to look hard for them. Vintage non-locking tuners do the job OK. Guitar arrived tuned half-step up. May consider upgrading to vintage locking at some point, will see.

FUNCTION: All electronics, plus coil-taps work well. Straight from the hanger, untested, I almost thought there was something wrong with the neck pickup...no sound. Switched to bridge pickup and realized the neck volume knob was turned down low. Immediate sigh of relief. :sweatsmile: Sound from the 58/15 'S' pickups and mahogany/maple body is on par with quality one has come to expect from PRS. Granted, if one wanted something closer to the "real" thing like a Custom Shop LP, you might expect to pay accordingly. Clean, clear, does well paired with clean or overdriven/distorted amps alike. Happy with current strings, will not be swapping to heavier strings for tuning down. For the sub-$1K price, you can't go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom