News from Musikmesse - Egnater 1U Poweramp

hunter

Experienced
Well, I was in Frankfurt last weekend, and there I spoke to Bruce Egnater, funny that he didn't even know about the Eggie 20 in the Axe, he liked the name though (he said if it was named "Rebel" he'd not be so happy) :D

Soooo I spoke to him and said that he should bring out a poweramp with some cool features, to please the Axe FX users, and he said he was working on something, he did some research and finally found a company that could make him good transformers (not corrodial ones, but squashed real ones) that fit into a 1U rack space (being aware that the options from Mesa or Marshall are a bit of a compromise construction wise). And he said he should be able to show something by end of the year. Who knows, maybe it could have his "tube mix" feature from the Rebel/Renegade?

So I mean this is unconfirmed stuff and vague information, but just thought I'd wanna share it with you guys.

I also planted the idea with him of working on something full range for us, but not sure if he was too excited about it.

Well, gotta say, Bruce is a great guy, and he is skilled and customer oriented, which is not true of all amp makers. Also played his upcoming Renegade 50, and gotta say that is a SWEEET combo (I am still looking for sth pretty for the living room).

Any idea when that Renegade 50 is going to be released?

I miss sometimes having a "grab and go" combo amp setup and that Renegade 50 looks like a good candidate to fit the bill.

AdamCook said:
Any idea when that Renegade 50 is going to be released?

I miss sometimes having a "grab and go" combo amp setup and that Renegade 50 looks like a good candidate to fit the bill.

Same here. I asked and Bruce said June/July, for Europe anyways.

Sounds cool, just hope it isn't EL84/6V6 powered though. Would rather have the option for some 6L6s in there or even KT-88s for for some punch.

funny, i talked on Wednesday about an hour with Bruce for exact THAT theme -
a 1U Poweramp in BLACK for the AXE-FX.
The Company for the Tranny will be Schuhmacher/USA - a very good choice.
I also asked him to integrate the "Watts" Knob from the Rebell - so we are able
to go down to 1 Watt - to say it with Bruce words: "That´s pretty cool", .....

http://www.egnateramps.com/Rebel20.html

Mesaholic said:
jarrett said:
Sounds cool, just hope it isn't EL84/6V6 powered though. Would rather have the option for some 6L6s in there or even KT-88s for for some punch.

I agree.

A 1 unit with 6L6/EL34 blend would be amazing, but pretty sure there's no way to make that fit.

I just hope the depth ends up the same or less than the Axe.

wouldn't 6L6 tubes be too big for a 1U space??? I know when I had a Mesa 20/20 and a 50/50 side by side I was impressed by difference in tube size. I think only the EL style tubes can fit in that form factor.

The only tubes that'll work in a 1U are gonna be EL84s (or similar)...6L6s physically will not fit, 6V6s or EL34s might nominally squeeze in but you'd need some sort of refrigeration system to keep the thing from overheating.

And there's no way you can get enough transformer iron in a less-than-1.5" form factor to run bigger tubes anyway.

Back
Top Bottom