New Update sounds all different? Dyna Cab update?

Aeser

Inspired
I launched my AFX3 MK II today to find out i had a new firmware/fractal bot/axe edit/dyna cab update to do so after all that was done i'm not sure WHAT exactly is doing it but the thing sounds TOTALLY different to me now, i don't know why? I almost exclusively was using Dyna-Cab's and noticed with the new version unless i'm crazy they added the whole section for preamps in the Cab block with Dyna Cabs where it defaults to type none and economy over high quality. I tried switching them to high quality and tube for the type (after trying all the types and that and for some reason "none" seemed to sound the best. I also noticed it changed my input block threshhold on like every input block to -50 no matter what it was previously. But even with changing the preamp to high quality/tube it sounds better but for some reason still not as good/different as before the update, anyone know why exactly that is? and maybe anything i can do about it? It's weird it just sounds like lower fidelity now somehow. plus changing the preamp to high quality/tube over economy/none makes the CPU sweat like a pig (just about all my patches are 2 amp and 2 cab blocks with 4 dyna cabs each block so 8 total so i guess it's asking a lot of it now (never had that problem before?).

Yea so I don't know, anyone else having these issues or am i alone here? I know it seems like most people did not prefer dyna-cabs like i did and used legacy cabs but even there it seems to have the economy/high quality in the preamp section of even the legacy cabs so i don't know, looking here for someone who maybe DOES know as many of you seem to know a lot more than i about this thing. Thanks!

Your post is a bit hard to follow. If you’re convinced something sounds so drastically different, your best approach would be to record a DI, then reamp it through FW22.x and FW23.x to compare. Memories are fickle. Probably best to post the preset too, because if something is unintentionally quite different, maybe the preset exposes an underlying issue.

There were changes to the amp modeling, but I personally find the differences to be very subtle and I’ve not had to tweak my preset.

There were no changes to the Cab block except adding the smoothing parameter to Dynacabs, which defaults to zero. The Dyncab data itself was not changed at all. The preamp section of the Cab block has been there since the Axe FX II days.

Last edited:

Improved Amp block triode algorithm.
Improved Spring Reverb algorithm
Improved Reverb block
Improved Tremolo block
Improved Tape Delay algorithm

Check your patches. If you use any of the block above, your sound will be different.

There is a post here by someone swearing that the unit sounds different after he’s eaten steak - and I believe him!

Do a backup and install an earlier firmware. It’s the only way to check something as subjective as sound perception.
Well if the steak is salted well
and the salt causes fingers to swell
And if, in the fingers, tone is found
The swollen fingers can change the sound

FWIW, my ears hear differently day to day and it took me a long time to realize it. Some days I hear treble a hell of a lot more than others. I really wonder how many years I started tweaking amp settings thinking it was due to the gear and not me. I didn’t figure it out until I started mixing music and completely trashed a couple mixes due to it. I’d sit down and everything would sound muffled/murky, so I’d start making EQ changes to compensate then the next day it’d be a shrill mess.

Now I just don’t tweak on those days and accept the fact I’m hearing things differently.

FWIW, my ears hear differently day to day and it took me a long time to realize it. Some days I hear treble a hell of a lot more than others. I really wonder how many years I started tweaking amp settings thinking it was due to the gear and not me. I didn’t figure it out until I started mixing music and completely trashed a couple mixes due to it. I’d sit down and everything would sound muffled/murky, so I’d start making EQ changes to compensate then the next day it’d be a shrill mess.

Now I just don’t tweak on those days and accept the fact I’m hearing things differently.
yup, I've concluded I'm the same way. I've learned the hard way not to make dramatic changes without auditioning the changes a couple times over a couple days. Back in the day, I remember the humidity really messing with the speakers in my amps when we were playing a bunch of outdoor gigs. Sound can vary a dozen different ways.

Well if the steak is salted well
and the salt causes fingers to swell
And if, in the fingers, tone is found
The swollen fingers can change the sound
He said it made it sound meatier! More bottom end I think is what he described, and I totally believe it.

I have learned the very hard way not to touch a patch on the day of a gig. If there are nerves or doubts, it does strange things to your ears and then you do strange things to your sound. I always seem to end up with way too much gain and not enough treble if I do that.

Ok so the preamp section is NOT new I just never noticed it before. But the thing does sound very different to me and I can’t put my finger on how or why.

“Improved Amp block triode algorithm.
Improved Reverb block
Improved Tremolo block
Improved Tape Delay algorithm”

Nah none of the patches I was referring to used any of those so unfortunately I can’t attribute it to that.

“Do a backup and install an earlier firmware. It’s the only way to check something as subjective as sound perception.”

Unfortunately, like an idiot I did not do a back up before I updated all the software so my last back up is from a while back before I made a lot of patches that I am quite fond of so I really don’t want to do a restore unless it’s absolutely necessary.

I get the hearing different day to day/audio placebo thing and MAYBE that’s it but I don’t think so, as I just played some of my patches before upgrading cand they sounded fine to me.

I don’t know, I really don’t get it at all and nobody else seems to be experiencing it leading me to believe its just me (and as such extremely unlikely to get “fixed”.

I can’t believe I never noticed the preamp section of the cab block before. And it even does seem to improve the sound a bii.

I don’t know and feel l Ike I’m going crazy.

The patches DO definitely seem to be using more CPU thoug, that does appear to have changed.

There is a post here by someone swearing that the unit sounds different after he’s eaten steak - and I believe him!

Do a backup and install an earlier firmware. It’s the only way to check something as subjective as sound perception.

Unfortunately, like an idiot I did not do a back up before I updated all the software so my last back up is from a while back before I made a lot of patches that I am quite fond of so I really don’t want to do a restore unless it’s absolutely necessary.
This is the best reason to use the Snapshot tool in the editor. It does incremental backups and allows us to step forward and backwards through time.

Depending on the granularity of clicking the button we can have every change captured or only important ones. I tend to click often then if I think I hit an important milestone I’ll purge some of the intermediate steps.

The files are regular exported presets with a timestamp in the name.

Day-to-day and sometimes even on the same day over here.

Trick is, how do you recognize the days where your hearing is "right", and you should believe your tweaks?

I'm not even slightly kidding. This is a real problem for me. I think I won't ever be a studio quality mixer/engineer (not that I'm going for that these days), because I have a poor sense of where "reality" is, I'm too variable.

Lately I've been backing down the high end on a lot of my tones. Am I right? Guess you'd have to hear it in the context of a full mix you wanted it to fit into.

Short version, f me.

I saw an issue where all of my Chorus block widths were changed to 100%, making all my chorus/vibrato settings super seasick. I saw this going from the first beta for 23.00 to the official release. Same issue was still present upgrading to 23.02.

I launched my AFX3 MK II today to find out i had a new firmware/fractal bot/axe edit/dyna cab update to do so after all that was done i'm not sure WHAT exactly is doing it but the thing sounds TOTALLY different to me now, i don't know why? I almost exclusively was using Dyna-Cab's and noticed with the new version unless i'm crazy they added the whole section for preamps in the Cab block with Dyna Cabs where it defaults to type none and economy over high quality. I tried switching them to high quality and tube for the type (after trying all the types and that and for some reason "none" seemed to sound the best. I also noticed it changed my input block threshhold on like every input block to -50 no matter what it was previously. But even with changing the preamp to high quality/tube it sounds better but for some reason still not as good/different as before the update, anyone know why exactly that is? and maybe anything i can do about it? It's weird it just sounds like lower fidelity now somehow. plus changing the preamp to high quality/tube over economy/none makes the CPU sweat like a pig (just about all my patches are 2 amp and 2 cab blocks with 4 dyna cabs each block so 8 total so i guess it's asking a lot of it now (never had that problem before?).

Yea so I don't know, anyone else having these issues or am i alone here? I know it seems like most people did not prefer dyna-cabs like i did and used legacy cabs but even there it seems to have the economy/high quality in the preamp section of even the legacy cabs so i don't know, looking here for someone who maybe DOES know as many of you seem to know a lot more than i about this thing. Thanks!
I noticed that the Tri Axis presets sound fizzier

“Improved Amp block triode algorithm.
Improved Reverb block
Improved Tremolo block
Improved Tape Delay algorithm”

Nah none of the patches I was referring to used any of those so unfortunately I can’t attribute it to that.
I can see a preset without Reverb, tremolo or tape delay. But I’m curious— if your presets don’t have an Amp block, what do they look like?

Back
Top Bottom