New to AX8, most patches sounds dark and bassy

A returning newbie here and found the same thing.

A quick look in the Cab block showed the Lowcut Frq at 20Hz and Highcut Frq at 20KHz (on the Pg2 parameters) which occurred to me as way outside the norm for a guitar cabinet. I simply adjusted the Lowcut to ~70-80Hz and dropped the Highcut to ~7500-8500KHz and suddenly everything sounded fantastic.

Not sure if this was the right way to solve the issue but seemed simple to me and it worked very well.
It's a good rule of thumb, but not all IRs are created equally. Some need nothing, some need a lot of help. Depends on what you like of course, we're all different.
Another good thing to try is a parametric or graphic eq in the first block. Scott Peterson once recommended a -5 cut with a low shelf at 320hz with a .7 Q. It's a good place to start, but depending on your guitar, pickups and preference it will be different.

Some find they have too much treble and some find them bassy......So ..Depends on the setup and the player mostly.................IMHO of course. There really is no other logical answer for too bassy or too bright with the SAME device and presets. It's the guitar, monitors, speakers, fingers, genre, room etc, etc, etc....All of it. My case, way too bright...99% of the presets. Since 2008..........Very easy to remedy, in my case anyway....

Reactions: Rex
A returning newbie here and found the same thing.

A quick look in the Cab block showed the Lowcut Frq at 20Hz and Highcut Frq at 20KHz (on the Pg2 parameters) which occurred to me as way outside the norm for a guitar cabinet. I simply adjusted the Lowcut to ~70-80Hz and dropped the Highcut to ~7500-8500KHz and suddenly everything sounded fantastic.

Not sure if this was the right way to solve the issue but seemed simple to me and it worked very well.

Yeap! I've just watched the "Van Halen brown sound in 10 minutes" video tutorial on youtube and picked the cab lowcut and highcut trick. It got rid of much of the unwanted frequencies )

The difference is that, when you're playing, you're hearing the acoustic sound of your guitar along with your amplified sound. When you're using the looper, you take away that part of the sound.

It takes a surprising amount of volume to completely swamp your guitar's acoustic sound.
It is really interesting that the acoustic sound of the guitar itself can have quite a significant effect on the overall tone.

I did experiment by placing the looper at the front to tweak my patches and realised that my actual playing sounds better than the looper, that is why i stopped using that method.

Perhaps I should try doing my patches exclusively using the looper from now on :)

if you want a nice transparent boost for solos, try the fet drive. change the clip type to si diode. leave drive on 5, put level on 7, mid on 1 and then use the low and high cuts to fine tune the top and bottom ends. if the amp is already fairly overdriven, this won't increase the overall level though...it will just give you a little more saturation and sustain. place a null filter block after the cab with the level set to 3.5db and this will give you a clean level increase. engage the drive and the filter simultaneously, along with a little delay and perhaps a touch of reverb

The difference is that, when you're playing, you're hearing the acoustic sound of your guitar along with your amplified sound. When you're using the looper, you take away that part of the sound.

It takes a surprising amount of volume to completely swamp your guitar's acoustic sound.

We did a test in our studio to test this exact thing because some guitar players wanted to be in the same room as the amp and others didnt and we thought there was a difference in tone regarding the guitar being in the same room as the amp, it turns out the difference is so minuscule that with all the mix in play there is no perceivable change in tone using a 35 watts amps.
Going up to 50 watts the tone starts to change more IF the amp is loud enough and the guitar player is in a specific location in the room, a 100 watts amp makes the biggest difference, but there are many troubles regarding the player and feedback and the monitoring headphones, it's not a safe way to record for your hearing IMO.

It was a cool test, but in the end my personal conclusion is that in the mix and depending on the style of the music the majority of the people listening can't tell if the guitar player was in the room, in the control room or if is its a Axe FX modeling the amp.

We did a test in our studio to test this exact thing...we thought there was a difference in tone regarding the guitar being in the same room as the amp, it turns out the difference is so minuscule that with all the mix in play there is no perceivable change in tone using a 35 watts amps....my personal conclusion is that in the mix and depending on the style of the music the majority of the people listening can't tell if the guitar player was in the room, in the control room or if is its a Axe FX modeling the amp.
That's a different thing. In your tests, you close-miked a cab at considerable volume. This minimized the effect of the guitar's acoustic sound, keeping it pretty much out of the equation. But when they player's ears are the "mic," and he's playing at moderate volumes, and his ears aren't pressed up to the cab like a microphone, the guitar's acoustic sound contributes significantly.

if you want a nice transparent boost for solos, try the fet drive. change the clip type to si diode. leave drive on 5, put level on 7, mid on 1 and then use the low and high cuts to fine tune the top and bottom ends. if the amp is already fairly overdriven, this won't increase the overall level though...it will just give you a little more saturation and sustain. place a null filter block after the cab with the level set to 3.5db and this will give you a clean level increase. engage the drive and the filter simultaneously, along with a little delay and perhaps a touch of reverb

That kills with some of my programs Simeon. Thanks! Eric

Back
Top Bottom