New Taylor day

Hellbat

Fractal Fanatic
I ordered my wife a nice Japanese Nakiri knife for Christmas as we enjoy watching Forged in Fire together. Since our current cutting boards are bamboo and the knife instructions mention bamboo is too hard and will quickly dull knife edges, I had to order a new cutting board to go with it.

I ended up ordering one from Taylor Guitar's subsidiary company Stella Fallone. I'm assuming they use fingerboard offcut's to make the tops of the boards and it appears they use some type of mahogany or limba for the sides. It's really quite nice looking and comes with a great little plastic base with rubber grommets that keep it from sliding around on the countertop. Shipping to Canada was a little crazy though with customs brokerage and duty fees not included in the shipping costs. If I ordered again I would ship to a US address and pick it up.

nakiri_board.jpg

Oooh, nice! Would you mind sharing a bit of info on cost and additional fees (shipping / duty / brokerage) for a fellow Canadian? I'm guessing they ship with one of the outrageous courriers (since USPS / Canada Post ends up with a friendly $5 flat brokerage fee and you wouldn't have mentioned it as a negative). Thanks!

I ordered my wife a nice Japanese Nakiri knife for Christmas as we enjoy watching Forged in Fire together. Since our current cutting boards are bamboo and the knife instructions mention bamboo is too hard and will quickly dull knife edges, I had to order a new cutting board to go with it.

I ended up ordering one from Taylor Guitar's subsidiary company Stella Fallone. I'm assuming they use fingerboard offcut's to make the tops of the boards and it appears they use some type of mahogany or limba for the sides. It's really quite nice looking and comes with a great little plastic base with rubber grommets that keep it from sliding around on the countertop. Shipping to Canada was a little crazy though with customs brokerage and duty fees not included in the shipping costs. If I ordered again I would ship to a US address and pick it up.

View attachment 114053
Where did you get the knife from? I saw only cutting boards on Stella Falone site.
Thanks.

Oooh, nice! Would you mind sharing a bit of info on cost and additional fees (shipping / duty / brokerage) for a fellow Canadian? I'm guessing they ship with one of the outrageous courriers (since USPS / Canada Post ends up with a friendly $5 flat brokerage fee and you wouldn't have mentioned it as a negative). Thanks!
Shipping/Duty/Brokerage was about $80CAD through DHL. They had a couple USPS options that were more expensive, but if they included brokerage they probably would have worked out cheaper in the long run.

Nice knife! I have a Shun Santoku that I absolutely love. I've been meaning to get a whetstone or two to maintain the edge.

I use an edge pro system with diamond composite stones for sharpening all our knives, but I'll admit to being terrified when it comes time to sharpen this thing.

There will be much taping off!

Back
Top Bottom