New stage trends...

A lot of big acts now have zero backline on stage anymore, no amps, no cabs, no fake cabs.
Probably also due to the fact that there are hardly any bands anymore, certainly in the mainstream anyway. Most live acts are pop/EDM, and the stage would more likely consist of 'dancers' if anything.

I saw ZZ Top last year and there were 16 heads and cabs. Only one mic’d was a Magnatone Super Fifteen on the side. The sound was massive from that little Amp.

Edit: I know they have used a Super Fifteen for the Bass so it may have been mic’d for that purpose but I thought it was strange it would be on Gibbon’s side of the stage. If that is why it was mic’d then there were probably Cabs in an iso box driven by some separate heads that weren’t visible from the stage.

Last edited:
From 7 years ago, but real amps and cabs - and a full time amp technician to keep ‘em working! Glad I have my Fractal Audio gear, so I don’t have this crazy setup, but you have to give them credit (and they have the budget and tech personnel) to use all of this real gear.

Last edited:
A common sight at more gigs these Days I guess.. 🤣🤣🤣

View attachment 132925
I have a friend that brings a Marshal SLP 100 handwire with a 4X12 cab and so many pedals that they all won't fit on his board so for a lot of the songs he has to physically change the pedals on the board in between songs (not sets.) Most of the places are so small that he could suffice with a Boss Cube amp or Katana and nobody would know the difference because he uses a Rivera attenuator to put it at coffee shop volume or management gets pissed off. One of the places he plays at with this set up I played at a long time ago with a Fender Princeton Reverb and the management told me to turn it down.:tearsofjoy:

Back
Top Bottom