New song from Trevor Rabin

Sounds great. Like the Alembic bass and playing. Wonder if Trevor Horn was involved in any way with the recording? When I saw the bass I thought of him.

I'm happy he's writing (non-orchestrally/cinematically) again. And his voice sounds amazing, at his age. Since 1983, Rabin has been one of my all-time favorite artists.

Now, this particular song is not, I think, quite top-form for him. It's catchy, sure; but it's a mite repetitive. That's quibbling, and I know it's quibbling, but what the heck: If Michelangelo spent two decades doing Sistine Chapel-level work, went dark awhile, and then came out with a cute, gauzy painting of a cottage a la Thomas Kinkade, I'm sure his fans would say, "Hey, Mike, it's nice, but...."

And while I'm nit-picking, I'll be open about my other quibble: I'd be happier to hear new stuff from him that doesn't lean so much on slide for the lead parts. Of Rabin's various guitar style-flourishes, his slide-work has always been my least-favorite. It's not bad, but compared to the excellence of everything else he ever does, it's pretty meh.

Okay, I'm done with that. Everything else about this is top-notch.

The dude is a legend in all kinds of ways. Happy he's putting out new stuff. This tune is fine; but I'm hoping it's a starting-point. Can't Look Away was awesome, and so were 90125 and Big Generator and parts of Talk. I'm hoping he scales those heights again sometime.

Sounds great. Like the Alembic bass and playing. Wonder if Trevor Horn was involved in any way with the recording? When I saw the bass I thought of him.

I agree about the sound being Trevor Horn-y...

...uh, let me rephrase that:
I agree about the sound being Trevor Horn-esque.

** cough **

But that doesn't necessarily mean Horn was directly involved. I think Trevor Rabin learned a lot from working with Trevor Horn (not to mention the other members of Yes) on 90125 and Big Generator. Compare how Can't Look Away sounded to Wolf, Rabin's last pre-Yes solo album. He was always good, but everything "kicked up a notch" after 90125, and part of the improvement was that Trevor Horn sound.

Last edited:
Here is a recent (3 months ago) interview with Trevor that people might be interested in. He has always been a favorite of mine since the Yes days of the 80's and his Can't Look Away album. Even a Fractal mention around 1 hour 15 min mark.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom