New Macbook Pro

count_chocolat

Experienced
Folks,

I'm looking to get a new Macbook Pro, I am concerned about the lack of USB ports on the new Macbook Pro's. Are any of you using a USB-C to USB hub. Are you experiencing any issues with latency?

Thanks for your input.

Folks,

I'm looking to get a new Macbook Pro, I am concerned about the lack of USB ports on the new Macbook Pro's. Are any of you using a USB-C to USB h ub. Are you experiencing any issues with latency?

Thanks for your input.
nope, though I prefer to give the III its own input rather than a hub or dongle, less of a problem if you Get a Pro that has 4 rather than 2 USB3 thunderbolt ports.......using one of these....
Amazon product ASIN B00VKSF39O

To me more specific, Apple did not announce this, it was a guess by the web site. MacBook laptops will certainly have new keyboards, when that happens is anyone's guess.

Yes in one setup I’m using a MacBook Pro with a usb-c to usb-a hub (wavlink 5 or 7 port). The hub should be powered separately to be safe - required in my case bc multiple iii’s are connected. Even though the bus can handle the power, they would drop or not show up inconsistently if I didn’t power it.

Note, this is with full usb audio on all devices AND AxeEdit.

I only have two issues with this setup :

1. The device enumeration on OSX can mess with your IO setup in the DAW. Apple could fix this but.... the best way to combat it is to always connect to the same port on the hub AND the same port on the Mac but that’s still not a guarantee. With Cubase I have a way to correct the config file it uses.

2. Occasionally loading a preset via AxeEdit results in a loss of sync (grainy sound) on that one Axefx. Simply reloading a preset usually fixes it. This is only for presets loaded over usb to the AxeFX (ie a blast of date through the usb bus) and hasn’t happened when eg switching presets that are already in the axe via AxeEdit.

Direct cables also work but I no longer do that. The cables for whatever reason have inconsistent quality. I’ve I had multiple work and then stop working within days. I’ve never had a hub + usb-a to b cable fail (although that can happen as well). I have so many of those cables that I’m not worried if I have a failure whereas with the direct cables, I’d have to buy at least 3 to be safe.

I’m sure someone will counter what I’ve written so with all things, you’ll need to test it with your own setup.

Also, concerning the keyboard, yes there is a major issue. I’ve gone through 4 so far including a 2018. I’m not sure you should wait, but at least get the 2019 revision. While Apple will likely fix the ones with issues (I didn’t pay for any repairs even out of warranty) it’s not a smooth experience to say the least - even for business level support.

If you do buy, make sure to keep on top of any issues. Don’t let the warranty lapse and don’t settle for even an occasional blip on a single key.... and remember that Apple’s support isn’t actually bad relatively speaking. As grumpy as I am about it, my experience with other companies is much worse (Lenovo, HP, Dell, Microsoft, my plastic cries out).

Now, I have two MBP 2017 models, one back home, one at work where I type 6+ hours a day, not a single issue with the keyboards. Then again I try to keep them clean and use condensed air from time to time to remove any dust particles. They are more loud than the previous model and different touch feeling, you get used to them but the previous model ergonomics had maybe the best keyboard feel on any laptops I've used since 1990. That's what you got when someone had the idea to save 2mm on the laptop height....

Now, I have two MBP 2017 models, one back home
They are more loud than the previous model and different touch feeling, you get used to them l...

Part of my reason for getting a 2018 was to reduce the keyboard sound :0) 2016-2018 had an interesting click but it was distracting to people around me - mostly in non audio settings. I also agree that you get used to it. I like the keyboard apart from the arrow key arrangement and the touchbar esc key grrrrrrr.

I have a 2018. I always have one of those thin rubber keyboard covers over the keys, so I have not experienced an issue with the butterfly (yet, I feel obligated to say). I use a USB Dongle and never had a moment's issue with it connecting to the III with Logic/Playback and my Nord Piano 4. No latency that I've noticed.

Well worth it for me, but the keyboard thing is a non-issue in my world. (Again....yet)

Back
Top Bottom