New Interface. Best way to connect my Axe Fx III?

jshirkey

Experienced
I just got an Audient iD24 b/c my old MOTU 828 MKII won't work with my Mac Studio. I'd prefer to use the Audient as my interface instead of my Axe Fx, so I'll connect the Audient directly to my Mac Studio, and then connect the Axe FX III to the Audient. I'm just wondering what the best way to connect the Axe Fx to the Audient is. I can, of course, use the two TRS inputs on the Audient, but then I'm out of inputs. I'd prefer to connect it digitally, but I think I'm out of luck.

The Axe FX III has S/PDIF outputs, but the Audient has optical ins/outs. The optical ins/outs can carry a S/PDIF signal, but there isn't a cable that could connect the two units using an optical connector on the Audient end and an RCA S/PDIF on the Axe Fx end, is there?? I did find an adapter on Amazon:

Amazon product ASIN B07VHPJ1DD

I could use the AES digital output(s) from the Axe FX and connect via TRS to the Audient, too, though, right?

I may, at some point, expand the Audient's I/O by getting an Audient ASP 800, but, in the meantime, I'm trying to get the most out of what I've got. I have some amps I would like to mic, so I would like need at least one mic input available from the Audient without having to plug/unplug gear.

I've also been wondering if my MOTU 828 MKII is totally obsolete or not. I may be able to connect it to my Audient via optical, and use its inputs/outputs as expansion channels. Maybe I could connect the Axe Fx to the MOTU via S/PDIF, and then the Audient would see it via the MOTU? This is where things start to go over my head.

Thanks!

To answer your question from the other thread, you can get by with a single adapter, but then you'd be limiting yourself to not doing any re-amping digitally. Using configuration #5 and two adapters gives you the flexibility to re-amp if you choose. Or, again, configuration #4 gives you that same flexibility without requiring any additional cables or adapters and is simpler to set up, so you might want to try that first.

I have my Axe hooked up to my interface mic inputs( and use its direct monitoring) and at the same time USB from the Axe to my Mac. So when I want to mic a real amp I just unplug the Axe and plug in the mics. When I want to record the Axe I just open Logic which already has the USB input from Axe as default and monitoring through the interface.
Works very well for me. I mic like once every couple months, so not much of an hassle.

I have my Axe hooked up to my interface mic inputs( and use its direct monitoring) and at the same time USB from the Axe to my Mac. So when I want to mic a real amp I just unplug the Axe and plug in the mics. When I want to record the Axe I just open Logic which already has the USB input from Axe as default and monitoring through the interface.
Works very well for me. I mic like once every couple months, so not much of an hassle.
That's an option also. I was just trying to find a way to set everything up once, so I wouldn't have to mess around with any connections later. My rig is actually more complicated than I mentioned here. I have all kinds of other stuff hooked up as well. The main thing I didn't mention is that I have a Soundsculpture Switchblade SE that handles routing for all my other gear, so my guitar goes into that first, and then the signal is routed in a dozen other ways, depending on what I'm doing. I will probably connect an output from the Switchblade to the input of my interface, and then I need to think about how I want to connect the Axe Fx.

At the moment, I have the left and right outputs (out 1) of the Axe Fx to two analog inputs on my MOTU. If I keep my MOTU and connect it via optical to the Audient, I could probably just keep that same connection. But that remains to be seen.

At the moment, I have the left and right outputs (out 1) of the Axe Fx to two analog inputs on my MOTU. If I keep my MOTU and connect it via optical to the Audient, I could probably just keep that same connection. But that remains to be seen.

I suppose you could use that for monitoring purposes, and record over the AxeFX-to-computer usb connection, but that would be introducing extra D/A/D conversions for no purpose. And you'd still have to find a way to clock the 828. Basically the 828 would just be getting in the way if you do that :).

Also, it's worth considering whether you really need configuration #4 or #5. Depending on what all you're recording, #2 might suit your needs.

I suppose you could use that for monitoring purposes, and record over the AxeFX-to-computer usb connection, but that would be introducing extra D/A/D conversions for no purpose. And you'd still have to find a way to clock the 828. Basically the 828 would just be getting in the way if you do that :).

Are you sure? I'd be using it as a way to expand the channels of my Audient. If there is an extra D/A conversion in there, it's escaping me right now. I was reading about how to set the clock configuration. I think it depends on the MOTU's capabilities. But one would have to be the master and the other slave, of course. I watched a YT about it the other night. lol. My head is kind of spinning right now at the different options.

Also, it's worth considering whether you really need configuration #4 or #5. Depending on what all you're recording, #2 might suit your needs.

Off I go to look at config #2!

I think I mentioned that my setup is pretty complicated, in part, because I have a Soundsculpture Switchblade ES handling the ins/outs and routing for all of my gear, including the Axe Fx III. I have a new Audient iD24 interface that I am trying to integrate into my setup as well.

Everything works great if I do the following:

1. One of my Switchblade outputs connects to the Axe Fx Guitar input--so I can send my guitar straight into the Axe Fx using a Switchblade preset with that particular routing.
2. Axe Fx Output 1 L and R go to two inputs on the Switchblade using XLR female to 1/4" TRS.
3. Two Switchblade outputs connect to my Audient interface inputs, channels 1 and 2.

It works. It sounds fantastic. I probably could--or should--just leave things alone. But, I started to wonder if I needed step 2 above. Can't I just go straight out from the Axe Fx into the Audient interface without having to go back into the Switchblade (and then back out again) first? That may be a question for the Switchblade developer, whom I have already emailed. But I wanted to ask you guys also.

I tried connecting XLR cables directly from output 1 L/R on the Axe Fx to my interface, and it is definitely passing audio, but it doesn't sound nearly as good. I'm not sure why. Am I using the wrong cable type? Is XLR mic cable going to do the job here? Should I try XLR to TRS? Do I need to adjust any I/O settings on the Axe Fx? The inputs of my interface have those jacks that accept either XLR or 1/4". I assumed the signal would be the same also.

I'm just kind of throwing a lot of stuff at the dartboard to see if I can possibly simplify my setup a little and open up two more ins/outs on my Switchblade that I could use to connect other gear. If I have to go with my setup above, though, it's not the end of the world. Definitely works and sounds great.

Thanks again.

Are you sure?
The reason you would connect your Axe-FX via analog output to your audio interface is to route the audio from the Axe-FX to your studio monitors so you can monitor your sound while recording. Converting that analog output to digital in the 828, then back to analog in the ID24 before sending the audio to your monitors would be extra, undesirable, conversions.

At the same time, you want a digital, not analog, connection to your computer for recording. You can use the usb output of your Axe-FX (configuration #2 or #4) or spdif output of your Axe-FX (configuration #5) for that purpose.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

The purpose of connecting your Axe-FX via analog output to your audio interface is to route the audio from the Axe-FX to your studio monitors so you can monitor your sound while recording. Converting that analog output to digital in the 828, then back to analog in the ID24 before sending the audio to your monitors would be extra, undesirable, conversions.

At the same time, you want a digital, not analog, connection to your computer for recording. You can use the usb output of your Axe-FX (configuration #2 or #4) or spdif output of your Axe-FX (configuration #5) for that purpose.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

There's no 828 involved, so no digital conversions. You may be confusing it with the Switchblade.

As for recording, my interface is connected via USB to my computer, and so is my Axe Fx. I think my interface is sending signal to my computer, though, since my recording levels change as I change the interface channel inputs. I guess I can choose between them in Logic's preferences?

Last edited:
I was responding to this:

You asked if I was sure if that would result in extraneous conversions.

If you want to put the Switchblade between your guitar and your Axe-FX, and you want to record both the Axe-FX and other things, like microphones, that are connected to your ID24:

a) The Switchblade, as I understand it, is a buffered device, so yes, that could have an effect on your tone if you insert it into your signal path like that.
b) I'd recommend configuration #4. In that case, yes, when you want to record the Axe-FX, record the Axe-FX channels of your aggregate device in Logic when recording the Axe-FX, not ID24 channels of the aggregate. That way you have the option of re-amping after you record.

I was responding to this:

You asked if I was sure if that would result in extraneous conversions.
Okay, I got it now.

The 828 is now out of the picture completely. I decided to get an Audient ASP880 (holding my breath that it doesn't have problems, but that's another story) to expand my iD24. But it won't be here until later in the week. In the meantime, I'm just trying to get the rest of my gear set up as one pretty large, complex unit.

Thanks for the help.

If you want to put the Switchblade between your guitar and your Axe-FX, and you want to record both the Axe-FX and other things, like microphones, that are connected to your ID24:

a) The Switchblade, as I understand it, is a buffered device, so yes, that could have an effect on your tone if you insert it into your signal path like that.
b) I'd recommend configuration #4. In that case, yes, when you want to record the Axe-FX, record the Axe-FX channels of your aggregate device in Logic when recording the Axe-FX, not ID24 channels of the aggregate. That way you have the option of re-amping after you record.
Okay, I'll create an aggregate device.

Still, I have the basic issue of how to cable everything. I may have to wait until I hear back from Ken at Soundsculpture, but I don't know if I need to run cables from output 1 of the Axe Fx into the SB, then out from there to my Audient interface.

Okay, I'll create an aggregate device.

Still, I have the basic issue of how to cable everything. I may have to wait until I hear back from Ken at Soundsculpture, but I don't know if I need to run cables from output 1 of the Axe Fx into the SB, then out from there to my Audient interface.
Aggregate Device FTW. I have a Scarlett, an AxeFX3, and an FM9. Works great!

Aggregate Device FTW. I have a Scarlett, an AxeFX3, and an FM9. Works great!
I'm going to do that today. Thanks.

I was messing around late last night, and I discovered two things. First, I don't have to go out from the Axe Fx, into the SB, and then back out to my Audient. I think the first time, for whatever reason, one channel was out of phase with the other, so flipping the phase made a huge difference in how it sounds.

Second--and this is my question for you guys--I noticed that the quality of my recordings is way better when the Audient is selected as my interface. When I choose the Axe Fx as my interface (both in Logic's preferences and in my Mac's system preferences), I can even see that the waveform is much smaller and less dynamic than when I record through the Audient. My first instinct was to check the recording levels through my Axe Fx, obviously. I adjusted the input level in System/I/O/Input 1, and I don't detect much of a difference. Any idea what might be going on and what else I should try?

It sounds like you’re reacting to a louder signal, but something doesn’t sound right. If you’re recording digitally, there can only be one signal from the AxeFX. That’s the whole point of recording digitally, nothing will mess with the signal. Are you following the instructions in the recording guide carefully?

It sounds like you’re reacting to a louder signal, but something doesn’t sound right. If you’re recording digitally, there can only be one signal from the AxeFX. That’s the whole point of recording digitally, nothing will mess with the signal. Are you following the instructions in the recording guide carefully?

Maybe I'm not doing something right. I just quickly checked the guide, using config 1 as the simplest example:

"Simply plug in your guitar to the instrument input, connect your Axe-FX to the computer with a usb cable (on the FM3 use the USB-B port),open up your DAW and set the input channels to usb 1/2 and the output channels to 1/2"

The only difference between this description above and mine at the moment is that my guitar input goes through a couple other things before hitting the input of the Axe Fx--but I can't see how that would matter at all; I'm just sending the signal straight through. There is no A/D conversion anywhere.

Next, my USB cable from my Axe Fx actually goes into a USB hub that is connected to my Mac Studio. I can't see how that would matter, but I could get an adapter and plug it in directly, I think.

The Axe Fx is selected in my System Prefs and in Logic as my audio interface.

Finally, in my DAW (Logic), I have created an Audio Track, and I'm showing input coming from the Axe Fx on all my meters. I don't see any place to select USB 1/2 as my input source in Logic, though. I wonder if I'm making a mistake at this point in the process??

You select the input channels on the track in Logic. If you’re recording channels 1/2, that’s all correct. That will give you a high fidelity recording of the pure digital output from the AxeFX.

But I was asking about the recording through the ID24. Are you following the instructions for configuration #5? The answer to your question above is probably ”it sounds different because it’s louder”. If the instructions are followed carefully though, the levels should be the same and neither one will be louder.

You select the input channels on the track in Logic. If you’re recording channels 1/2, that’s all correct. That will give you a high fidelity recording of the pure digital output from the AxeFX.

But I was asking about the recording through the ID24. Are you following the instructions for configuration #5? The answer to your question above is probably ”it sounds different because it’s louder”. If the instructions are followed carefully though, the levels should be the same and neither one will be louder.

I'm selecting tracks 1/2 in Logic, yes. The signal is low in volume and the waveform indicates that.

When recording with the iD24 as my interface, I can't use config #5 exactly the way it's outlined b/c I don't have a S/PDIF or ADAT connection between the Axe Fx and the iD24--at least not yet. (I will soon have an ADAT connection between my iD24 and the ASP880 when it gets here. I think I could connect the Axe Fx to the ASP880 via AES/SPDIF. ) Output 1 L/R from the Axe Fx is going into channels 1 and 2 of my iD24 via XLR to 1/4" cables. Is that a digital signal or analog that's being sent??

When I adjust the input levels on channels 1 and 2 of the iD24, it changes the signal strength from the Axe Fx. Putting the levels right around 10 O'Clock is giving me great results. But I must not be tracking digitally, if I can adjust those levels, right? If I'm understanding you correctly, a digital signal either is present or it's not. It's not something whose signal "strength" is adjustable.

As it says in the recording guide, adjust your presets, preferably with the amp block level parameter, so they register an input level in your DAW at around -10 dB. That is an important step in the adjustment of any preset. After you do that, the preset will be suitable for recording.

Back
Top Bottom