New Input 1 Gain Parameter

scottp

Fractal Fanatic
I'm looking for some clarification on this.
On the AX3 Press, Setup > I/O > Input. Now look all the way to the right and see this. The fifth control.
I checked the manual and it does not mention this. From the manual below.

FX3 IO page.PNG

What exactly is this new control, and how should we set it?
Thanks.

Further in the same page of the manual:

"The Input page of the I/O menu contains four parameters that scale the input to the A/D converters:
Input 1/Instrument Level, Input 2 Level, Input 3 Level, Input 4 Level.

Remember that, except at very low settings (5% or less), input level adjustments do not affect gain levels or what
you hear. This is because as you adjust the level to the input of the A/D converter, the output of the converter
compensates accordingly, so your guitar signal level remains exactly the same when it reaches the grid and any
virtual amps or effects.
The global Input 1 Gain parameter adjusts the gain globally for In 1/Instrument. Use this, for example, to
compensate for a lower output guitar. This adjustment happens prior to the In 1 Gate."

This isn't really new on the Axe Fx III. It's been there for a fair bit of time. Maybe since the beginning?

I checked the release notes and Global Input Gain is only mentioned regarding a fix in FW 13.01.

So it looks like this control is Global Input 1 Gain.

"The global Input 1 Gain parameter adjusts the gain globally for In 1/Instrument. Use this, for example, to compensate for a lower output guitar. This adjustment happens prior to the In 1 Gate."

Now to see how it my affect my current setting for "Input 1 Instrument Level" which is set at 13.5% with my loudest guitar.

So it looks like this control is Global Input 1 Gain.

"The global Input 1 Gain parameter adjusts the gain globally for In 1/Instrument. Use this, for example, to compensate for a lower output guitar. This adjustment happens prior to the In 1 Gate."

Now to see how it my affect my current setting for "Input 1 Instrument Level" which is set at 13.5% with my loudest guitar.
It doesn't.

Instrument Level is a compensated control that doesn't affect the level into the grid.

Global Input 1 Gain affects the actual guitar level on the grid. The same as adjusting Level on the Input 1 block, except it's global.

It doesn't affect the input sensitivity setting at all. It is a post A/D converter gain adjustment that controls the level going into the grid.

Edit: unix-guy beat me to it. :p

See why I find this confusing? ;)

Reading @GlennO post was enlightening.

So, it sounds like the global Input 1 Gain parameter is one simple control, that affects the signal level on the grid.
An example of how to use it could be, for my PRS it is set at x.x
If I find that my Tele is not as loud, I make 1 adjustment, and that covers all presets.

See why I find this confusing? ;)

Reading @GlennO post was enlightening.

So, it sounds like the global Input 1 Gain parameter is one simple control, that affects the signal level on the grid.
An example of how to use it could be, for my PRS it is set at x.x
If I find that my Tele is not as loud, I make 1 adjustment, and that covers all presets.
Exactly!

Well I stumbled on this parameter while looking through the screens on the AX3. Firmware 22.00.
Then because I never saw it before, I was curious what it did, and just where it controls the signal.
I have an AX3, AX3T, FM9T and started comparing where the GI1G is set.
I don't recall ever changing any of those values.
And today I see that AX3 is set to 0.100
AX3T is set to 0.301 and FM9T is set to 1.00

Earlier this week I created a new preset on the FM9T and imported that preset into the AX3.
I want the sound to be the same, so I assume I should set the GI1G to 1.0 to match the FM9T.
Would you agree?

Well I stumbled on this parameter while looking through the screens on the AX3. Firmware 22.00.
Then because I never saw it before, I was curious what it did, and just where it controls the signal.

Earlier this week I created a new preset on the FM9T and imported that preset into the AX3.
I want the sound to be the same, so I assume I should set the GI1G to 1.0 to match the FM9T.
Would you agree?
I believe the 1.0 is the default setting on the Axe III, at least that's where it was on mine before adjusting it. How the setting relates to other devices, I can't say.

Would you agree?
Yes. The default is 1.0 on all.

It's a signal level multiplier. It multiplies the signal level by that setting. 1.0 = unity gain. Settings above 1.0 increase the level and settings below 1.0 decrease the level.

0.1 = 1/10th the signal level
0.5 = 1/2 the signal level
1 = unity gain
2 = twice the signal level
10 = 10 times the signal level
and so on...

You can also convert the multiplier to a percentage by multiplying the setting by 100.

0.1 = 10%
0.5 = 50%
1 = 100%
2 = 200%
10 = 1000%

Curious why you're lowering the overall signal level for everything. Or am I missing something?
Hotter pickups perhaps?

I set my global input gain to 0.25 🤣
Makes the factory presets sound good, especially makes the clean presets actually clean. I think the factory presets must have been created with more traditional pickups.

Back
Top Bottom