New ESP LTD GL Desert Eagle - Thoughts?

deakle

Experienced
So just saw the new releases from ESP for 2024. I’m intrigued by the ESP LTD GL (George Lynch) Desert Eagle. Korean made, stainless frets, titanium parts in the Floyd Rose 1000, Duncan Distortion in the bridge and Duncan single coil in the neck. Single volume control only that is push-pull to split the humbucker, so no pickup selector. Not too sure. About that. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Isn't putting titanium parts in a FR1000 kind of the equivalent of putting a Whipple supercharger in an AMC Pacer?

Isn't putting titanium parts in a FR1000 kind of the equivalent of putting a Whipple supercharger in an AMC Pacer?
I am mistaken, it was stainless parts in the Floyd, not titanium, but I get what you are saying. What do you think of not being able to select pickups? Both on all the time and being able to split the coils on the humbucker.

The Guitar Center description says "HSS" several times while clearly showing an HS guitar.

The specs say HS with 3-way toggle while clearly showing a guitar with no toggle or other visible switch.

The ESP site has less detailed specs and less pics than GC.

Seems odd...

Weird that they're calling it the "FR1000 SE", it used to just be the 1500 series ¯\(ツ)

Regardless, a 1000 with stainless screws has been a thing for quite a few years now from several manufacturers. Nothing really to see here

I really like it. I've been eyeballing HS guitars for some months now 'cause the simplicity appeals to me. I did look at the prior Lynch with the Kamikaze graphics and had been thinking "that was OK for the 80s, but now? Not so much." This is a nice refresh to the dated graphics, and the ESP site says as much.

Just looking at it, I'd have to think the pull knob switches from the bridge to the humbucker. I bet the stuff on the site about the pull switch splitting the humbucker was just a copy and paste tragedy by somebody doing the marketing copy.

I am mistaken, it was stainless parts in the Floyd, not titanium, but I get what you are saying. What do you think of not being able to select pickups? Both on all the time and being able to split the coils on the humbucker.
That seems weird. I would bet most players would prefer it to switch between bridge/neck. I guess that's the thing with signature gear. Sometimes artists don't do the sensible thing. :eek:

I like the graphics but since I have no aboriginal blood myself, I'd feel weird sense of cultural appropriation playing it. Works for George though! I always though his sub camo guitars were cool.

The Guitar Center description says "HSS" several times while clearly showing an HS guitar.

The specs say HS with 3-way toggle while clearly showing a guitar with no toggle or other visible switch.

The ESP site has less detailed specs and less pics than GC.

Seems odd...

The George Lynch guitars always seem to use a push pull on the master volume to select pickups, eschewing a middle position. I kind of did the same thing on my guitar, but using a mini toggle instead.

The George Lynch guitars always seem to use a push pull on the master volume to select pickups, eschewing a middle position. I kind of did the same thing on my guitar, but using a mini toggle instead.
I wondered if that might be the case...

I'm pretty sure the specs also said the volume pull was a coil tap... But neither site was consistent with the other.

I’ve always thought that HS guitars would be too limiting because I LOVE the middle pickup for cleans. But my new Caparison Horus has a HS setup and honestly it’s pretty dang versatile. For me a perfect HS would be bridge and middle though . . .

I’ve always thought that HS guitars would be too limiting because I LOVE the middle pickup for cleans. But my new Caparison Horus has a HS setup and honestly it’s pretty dang versatile. For me a perfect HS would be bridge and middle though . . .

The new Vandenberg reissue by Peavey should be perfect for you! I love it except I wish it was 22 frets and a true neck position output matched noiseless single coil.

Back
Top Bottom