New computer suggestions?

Slight derail.. Does anyone record tracks onto an external hard drive? Any thoughts on this would be helpful.
Yeah I've done it with no problems but keep in mind it's not my normal workflow.
I have gotten up to 12 to 16 tracks having no issues I never went beyond this. Due to what the project called for no other reason.

But other side notes. This was done on a laptop also the external drive was a solid state.

Hmmm.,,I don't ever remember saying windows was worse or macs are best...what I did say was it is a good experience using apple for recording. If I was software developer not a professional musician then I might think otherwise. Again all of the studios that have protools and macs isn't just marketing. If they didn't work well they would be replaced with a better architecture. Remember these are businesses too. Avid provides 24/7 support designed for people who record professionally...thats all. Most studio from offices use windows machines for business activities .. The correct tool for the the job thats my reason for using a mac for music...thats all. If I was building a server based set up for a bank,,,maybe it would be windows or unix...IDK.

Well actually you "implied it with "easiest audio and recording". But I'm done anyway. I should know better by now then to get into this ridiculous discussion....Bye

Here in Argentina buying anything from Apple it's extremely expensive. But im using macOS since OSX Snow Leopard :D. Back in the day a hackintosh was really a pain in the ass, inestable as fu*k. Today i have a hackintosh (logic pro user, of course, if someone ask, i paid for it) and work perfect, no problems at all, incredible fast, full of power, loving it.

Specs:
i7 7700K
GIGABYE Z270 Gaming 7
32GB of Ram
Geforce 980 4GB
Apple wireless keyboard
Apple Magic Trackpad

Of course i have other apple products (iPhone user since iPhone 3GS):

iPhone 7 128GB
iPad Air 2 32GB
Apple TV 4 32GB
iPod Nano (5th gen??? i cant remember)

i was trying to record on windows...but no, i prefer macOS.

This stupid discussion has gone on for decades and I am personally sick of people trying to push the narrative about the all mighty mac. Not sick opf you, mind you. Just the BS............. :)

You see, the difference between you and me is I do not say windows is better. I am just saying Macs are NOT better and NOT worse either. Jeeezzzz
People are allowed to say the words “Mac is better.” It’s not an agenda, it’s an opinion. If those words put you off, I don’t know what to say.

Many people say it because many people feel this way. You are certainly allowed to say “Windows is better” if you think that.

Well actually you "implied it with "easiest audio and recording". But I'm done anyway. I should know better by now then to get into this ridiculous discussion....Bye
I have not read anything other than opinions.

Please let people say they prefer Macs without singling them out. Thanks.

I am feeling this now. My usually trusty Surface Pro has decided the MIDI devices I need to program over USB aren't going to be allowed to coexist with keyboard drivers. This PC's days are increasingly shorter if this seeming driver conflict can't be fixed. My even older iMac does everything MIDI/USB flawlessly, so I've started window shopping Mac Books. Music-oriented stuff just seems more reliable on Mac. I'd far rather be practicing than fighting IT headaches.

I probably shouldn't say this because I want to sell my Surface Pro but in my experience, they have been a bad experience and it's not a good product to compete against a MacBook Pro. Lot's of driver issues. Mine has been pretty stable lately but I probably just jinx myself haha. I want to sell mine and go back to a regular laptop PC.

People are allowed to say the words “Mac is better.” It’s not an agenda, it’s an opinion. If those words put you off, I don’t know what to say.

Many people say it because many people feel this way. You are certainly allowed to say “Windows is better” if you think that.

I have not read anything other than opinions.

Please let people say they prefer Macs without singling them out. Thanks.

well Chris, I guess I read it different than you do. I would never say windows is better or Macs are better. Neither one is better or worse. I'll leave it alone......Promise!

I have thought a lot lately about turning my desktop into a Hackintosh. I have had many Mac’s. Still have a hot rodded Mac mini that I stopped using after I built the desktop.

The Mac versus pc question comes up every day. Both have merits. I use both everyday, and like them both. Maybe I could start a thread detailing what you have to go through to accomplish a stable pc running OS X for recording? My PC is pretty stout, I looked into a Mac, but I could not get over the lack of performance.
Because keeping a hackintosh running is more time and effort than I want to spend on upkeep for a tool.

I have thought a lot lately about turning my desktop into a Hackintosh. I have had many Mac’s. Still have a hot rodded Mac mini that I stopped using after I built the desktop.
If you don't mind not having some features like handoff and Messages (even that is kind of possible if you buy the exact right BlueTooth card). And if you don't mind staying a little behind on macOS releases (just wait for other hackintoshers to get latest releases working before you upgrade). If you don't mind that stuff you can build an amazing macOS-running machine for far less than anything you can buy from Apple. All depends on your tolerance for troubleshooting and having a non-working machine from time to time as updates break your non-standard hardware.

You can stop that you know....Just sayin...........
I don't have an issue with the updates. My issue is that it wouldn't update. It was just stuck in this loop of trying to update for the last 3-4 weeks. I downloaded a Windows update troubleshooter from Microsoft today and that fixed it.

it's starting to sound like another computer/OS brand.... ;)
I would say this is a characteristic of self-assembled PCs, not an OS-specific thing. I've seen Windows machines run for years that required no tampering, took updates, etc. But they were carefully assembled by Dell for the enterprise and Dell certified drivers and updates, etc. Which is what Apple does for you if you're running macOS on their hardware.

I think Windows gets associated with this kind of maintenance burden because it's so straightforward to build your own PC out of parts and put Windows on it. That's a powerful Windows plus if you ask me; ubiquity is wonderful.

I would say this is a characteristic of self-assembled PCs, not an OS-specific thing. I've seen Windows machines run for years that required no tampering, took updates, etc. But they were carefully assembled by Dell for the enterprise and Dell certified drivers and updates, etc. Which is what Apple does for you if you're running macOS on their hardware.

I think Windows gets associated with this kind of maintenance burden because it's so straightforward to build your own PC out of parts and put Windows on it. That's a powerful Windows plus if you ask me; ubiquity is wonderful.
yeah i know i know...

Back
Top Bottom