New 10.10 firmware thoughts?

Ok......Wah is amazing now. Everything amp wise is really fat and alive and sparkles. Reverb is excellent. Upgrade from 10.00 to 10.10. Awesome!!!!

I welcome what's been done with the Wah block, however in practice I don't hear as much difference between the models as I expected to, although that might be down to lack of first hand experience with the original units.

Something peculiar seems to have happened to the amp blocks. There seems to be a huge loss of volume across all the models. When I take my existing presets and hold the bypass button to reset the defaults the level drops, in some cases so far I can't hear the amp any more. (This is particularly noticeable on the USA IIC+ Norm.) What's up with this?

I am not adverse to improvements,IMO the amps sounded great in FW 10.09,Just find it strange that one guy complains about reverb and thats addressed yet there are other more important issues.Now all my high gain amps sound like S**T,almost no saturation,way to much treble and this input level /drive thing.Drive yes but input level? Unless they mean input trim no such thing in ax edit unless I missed something.While I really appreciate the updates,how about updating the editor,cause ax edit beta(the only one that works with fw 10) crashes all the time.

Any firmware update that changes the parameters available within any of the effect blocks will likely change the sound of those effect blocks within your Presets and will require that you edit those effect blocks again in order to get the sound that you want to hear.
Any effect blocks that are affected should have the effect Type reset (select a new effect Type and then re-select the type that you want) and then re-tweaked and re-saved.
This is especially true if you use any Global FX.
When new Cab IRs are added it may affect your Cab Block, especially User Cabs as well.

V10.10 affects the Amp Blocks, the Reverb Blocks and the Wah Blocks.

If you don't want to go through that process, don't update the firmware.

Past firmware releases are available here:
axefx.fr

And using Axe Edit is just plain dangerous at the moment.
Don't do it.
Do your editing from the front panel of the Axe until the new version of Axe-Edit comes out.

I welcome what's been done with the Wah block, however in practice I don't hear as much difference between the models as I expected to, although that might be down to lack of first hand experience with the original units.
I've played quite a few of the modeled ones and some more and the reality is, in a band context, Wahs don't sound that hugely different like a different amp would for example. it's more about how "real" they sound and feel at this point. I urge anyone to list 10 famous songs that use a Wah and correctly identify which Wah was used there. a lot more difficult than identifying an amp or a guitar...

Dude - it really sounds like you need to re-install the firmware on your Axe-II. Unless you are solely using the amps that have the new controls, the only thing that should have changed is the terms used. For example: my FAS Modern II patch now reads as input drive instead of drive, but nothing about the sound changed at all with the amp. Also, Axe Edit is not updated to include FW 10.10 controllers. It's probable that the issues you are having stem from the use of Axe-Edit. While a software editor would be awesome, I'm more than happy and getting fast results out of using the front panel solely.

Also, tons of people are stoked about the update to the reverb algorithms and wah updates. You just sound like a wet-blanket kind of troll when you complain the way you are. Alright, back to bed with me.

So because everyone else likes it I have I have to? TROLL? WTF? Not my style, l have no time for that BS .I paid
the same 2k you did.If I dont like something I'll say something,but if it hurts your feelings im sure youll learn to deal...BTW I have reinstalled the new fw several times and each time it sounded just as bad as its previous install.

Last edited:
I am not adverse to improvements,IMO the amps sounded great in FW 10.09,Just find it strange that one guy complains about reverb and thats addressed yet there are other more important issues.Now all my high gain amps sound like S**T,almost no saturation,way to much treble and this input level /drive thing.Drive yes but input level? Unless they mean input trim no such thing in ax edit unless I missed something.While I really appreciate the updates,how about updating the editor,cause ax edit beta(the only one that works with fw 10) crashes all the time.

What is important to one maybe isn't so much to another. Axe-Edit 1.9 isn't recommended for use with FW 10.10. Maybe they will patch it and maybe not if it's going to take resources away from getting the new AE out to us. I am not going to go into the debate about AE with you as it has been discussed ad nausuem. It is being worked on and you can get updates here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/news/70719-axe-edit-developers-diary-jun-13-2013-a.html

This is why everyone has their own opinion. You're entitled, and so is everyone else.

And here's mine..
If FAS can find a way to model the Bricasti M7 Reverb, I would very well welcome the upgrade!
Anyone care to send one to Cliff? The best hardware reverb I own is the Lexicon PCM91 which sounds great.

Modelling the Bricasti would be seriously, unbelievably, incredible.

seems like there may be a couple bugs, is there another firmware update coming? I'm just wondering if i should wait or brave the new firmware 10.10

I'm really liking (even though I don't completely understand it yet) the interaction between input drive, overdrive, input trim, etc. Again, I'm struggling because I get confused with the naming convention, etc. but when I turn knobs cool things are happening. I am getting that bluesy "dig into the strings" tone.

Something peculiar seems to have happened to the amp blocks. There seems to be a huge loss of volume across all the models. When I take my existing presets and hold the bypass button to reset the defaults the level drops, in some cases so far I can't hear the amp any more. (This is particularly noticeable on the USA IIC+ Norm.) What's up with this?

If you hold the Bypass switch while in the Amp block, the Master Volume will switch to a default setting which is right for that specific amp. Introduced in v10.00. This can cause major volume differences with the previous level of the preset.

I'm really liking (even though I don't completely understand it yet) the interaction between input drive, overdrive, input trim, etc. Again, I'm struggling because I get confused with the naming convention, etc. but when I turn knobs cool things are happening. I am getting that bluesy "dig into the strings" tone.

In a typical amp Input Drive is called various names (Drive, Volume, Gain, etc). It is the knob closest to the input jack. In many cases this potentiometer has a bright cap on it so the frequency response will be dependent on the knob position.

In some amps there is also a second drive control. This is your Overdrive knob. It does not have a bright cap so it only affects the gain.

Input Trim is something you shouldn't play with normally unless you want to deviate from the actual amp. Input Trim allows you to reduce or increase the gain of the virtual amps input buffer. This is analogous to changing the type of tube for V1 in an actual amp. Some people like less gain for V1 so will replace a 12AX7 with a 12AT7. Some people want a little more gain.

So because everyone else likes it I have I have to? TROLL? WTF? Not my style, l have no time for that BS .I paid
the same 2k you did.If I dont like something I'll say something,but if it hurts your feelings im sure youll learn to deal...BTW I have reinstalled the new fw several times and each time it sounded just as bad as its previous install.

The actual point here is that you are haranguing about these problems like it's the FW, when in fact it's almost entirely an issue of using Axe-Edit with a firmware that is neither supported or carries the parameters that changed with the firmware. When you say everything sounds terrible, yet refuse to acknowledge that it's more than likely something you are doing that is creating the problem, you sound like a troll. You have seemingly yet to try anything to actually fix the problem when people have given you advice, but continue to show up and complain about what you seem to think is a failure of progress. So yeah - troll is the right word. But good luck with your endeavors! :encouragement:

The actual point here is that you are haranguing about these problems like it's the FW, when in fact it's almost entirely an issue of using Axe-Edit with a firmware that is neither supported or carries the parameters that changed with the firmware. When you say everything sounds terrible, yet refuse to acknowledge that it's more than likely something you are doing that is creating the problem, you sound like a troll. You have seemingly yet to try anything to actually fix the problem when people have given you advice, but continue to show up and complain about what you seem to think is a failure of progress. So yeah - troll is the right word. But good luck with your endeavors! :encouragement:

How wrong you are,see I updated this last night before I went to bed,so I played with it a bit.Didnt like what I heard right from the get go unlike when I first got the axe right outta the box was shear heaven and like most of us I work for a living so I have not had any chance yet to fix anything.All Im saying is I dont like what I heard!!!!!!Cant understand why people like you have a hard time with someone else's opinion.Dude grow up.I dont like what I heard and thats finale.Yes I do feel 1010 is a failure compared to 09.And If I want to blast it here I will I have EVERY RIGHT TO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom