need help with decision WIth CLR vs NL12 vs RCF 12 sma

I ended up with the CLR, initial impression is it is a little more direct sounding than the RCF
still doesn't have that organic feel I am looking for. Anybody have any suggestions how they dial
it in? I have the eq switch set to simulate a guitar amp on the back of the CLR. Unless I can get it to sound
better will probably use this as another pa speaker and get the matrix in a few months.

How do you have the CLR situated? The BL setting is for when you have it on end (speaker at 90 degrees to the floor) and on the ground only.

One is definitely enough... but 2 are GLORIOUS ! ;-)

I thought my CLR's sounded "good", but not mind-blowing... UNTIL, I ran the most perfectly mixed CD ( to my ears ) through them... HOLY CRAP !!

If it doesn't sound organic enough, it's the preset... find a factory preset that you like, and audition a ton of IR's... you will find one that will just be "magical"...

How do you have the CLR situated? The BL setting is for when you have it on end (speaker at 90 degrees to the floor) and on the ground only.

Hi Scott,

I am using my 2 CLR Active Cabs sitting on the floor with the setting on BL. My intial impression was that I liked the tilt setting which seemed to give a bit more low end when on the floor. Interesting what you mentioned about the BL setting for use on the floor with '"the speaker on it's end"....I don't recall seeing that in the manual.

Thanks,
D

From the CLR manual page 5:

"The presets are: “FF” = Free Field – for when the cabinets are elevated off the floor like on a chair, pole mount or stand, “Tilt” – for when the cabinet is set up in the wedge position on the floor and “BL” – for when the cabinet is set up like a traditional guitar setup on the floor.
"

"The presets are: “FF” = Free Field – for when the cabinets are elevated off the floor like on a chair, pole mount or stand, “Tilt” – for when the cabinet is set up in the wedge position on the floor and “BL” – for when the cabinet is set up like a traditional guitar setup on the floor.
"

Thanks jeppekristoffer, its the part specifically about "BL setting is for when you have it on end (speaker at 90 degrees to the floor)"

Thanks,
D

Hi Scott,

I am using my 2 CLR Active Cabs sitting on the floor with the setting on BL. My intial impression was that I liked the tilt setting which seemed to give a bit more low end when on the floor. Interesting what you mentioned about the BL setting for use on the floor with '"the speaker on it's end"....I don't recall seeing that in the manual.

Thanks,
D

"

Thanks jeppekristoffer, its the part specifically about "BL setting is for when you have it on end (speaker at 90 degrees to the floor)"

Thanks,
D

That's what the manual means. You do not have it set right if you have it facing up. Set it to 'tilt' if you do.

Try testing it with music and/or test tones. THEN try the Axe-FX. You are not hearing it if you are running it in the wrong mode and note the importance of proper gain staging (note my setting from above). I find that people with issues on the CLR's tend to either be setting it wrong and/or are not turning the input level high enough (and then cranking the output and finding it noisy... it isn't).

That's what the manual means. You do not have it set right if you have it facing up. Set it to 'tilt' if you do.

Try testing it with music and/or test tones. THEN try the Axe-FX. You are not hearing it if you are running it in the wrong mode and note the importance of proper gain staging (note my setting from above). I find that people with issues on the CLR's tend to either be setting it wrong and/or are not turning the input level high enough (and then cranking the output and finding it noisy... it isn't).

Thanks Scott!

[to clarify as well, I am using the cab and not the wedge]

Just to note, I think the CLR sounds fantastic...I wasn't really having any issue other than I found it interesting that BL mode should be the cab on the floor but rotated 90%. I am also glad to hear that the cab on the ground, set upright (atomic logo top center) should be set to tilt...which is what seemed to sound best to me. Also, I had gain staged as per the manual and come to the exact settings you had....input at 75% and output at 50% :)

Thanks
d

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom