Need advice re: using Axe Fx in home studio

dsw67

Need advice re: using Axe Fx in home

Just took ownership of a brand new Axe Fx 2. I love it!

I'm looking for advice on a good home setup, actually I want a GREAT home setup.

Here's what I want to do:

• Play/practice at home
  • Play/record with jam tracks and loops using Logic Studio, iTunes, Band in a Box, etc.

The equipment I have right now is:

• Macbook Pro
  • Logic Studio.
  • Axe-Fx
  • Behringer EuroRack MX 1604A Stereo Mixer
  • An old Fostex speaker system. I forget the model name but it looks exactly like this
DSC06380.jpg

The Axe-Fx and the Macbook are great. What I'd like to do is replace the mixer and speakers with something better, they're over ten years old. Problem is, I don't know where to start.

I could probably spend up to $1000 if necessary.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:
Great not possible on your budget. But: You don't need a mixer at all (especially a Behringer!) - you mix inside your DAW. You need some preamps, the AXE, an A/D-D/A converter (a good one alone, 'specs' not withstanding, exceeds your budget), better monitors, and some sort of software. I am not a Pro-Tools fan, but it is the industry standard, so possibly an entry-level pro-tools system would work - it would come with the preamps and converters. A GREAT system would involve high-end monitors, sonic treatment of your room, high quality preamps, and high quality converters. Even getting started there, you're talking 4K to... the sky's the limit. I recommend Genelec monitors highly. They are not cheap, alas. I also recommend Apogee converters, though there are others in their price range (again, not cheap) that compare well. Cheap ones like MOTU, M-Audio etc. are NOT 'great'. Preamps are really, really personal - some like 'clean', some like 'character'. Oh, and you need at least a couple of decent mics...

Ok, then I'll accept 'decent'. Just looking to create a nice comfortable practice / jamming area in my house.

And if folks could suggest specific products I'd appreciate it.

Great! I already have Logic Studio. What would you suggest for speakers and audio interface?

I will only be recording myself playing guitar.

Well, if I'm reading the OP correctly, he's only looking to record with his AXE FX, not necessarily vocals etc. etc. Therefore, as Cliff said, put as much in your monitoring system as you can (speakers). And find a decent DAW for recording your AXE FX tracks. Since you're only recording guitar, then you can use the AXE as the interface via USB.

IF you want to add vocals etc, then as polymath suggested, you'll need to get into a full on interface. Since you're beginning, I wouldn't worry about stand alone converters, preamps, etc. A basic interface (like a MOTU) will get you all you need to get started, and most come with light versions of software.

However, you can import backing tracks and record guitar tracks till your hearts content by just adding a recording program (DAW), and some decent monitors. The AXE will serve as your interface (preamp/converters/etc.) via USB connection.

Speakers are the most important part. Reserve most of your budget for that. Then all you need is an audio interface and some DAW software (Reaper is a bargain).

+1 for Reaper. Can't beat the price for the features. Plenty of user support on YouTube as well as their forum.

+1 for Reaper. Can't beat the price for the features. Plenty of user support on YouTube as well as their forum.

Thanks, but I'm already pretty happy with Logic Studio 9. I just need some suggestions for speakers and an audio interface.

Last edited:
At least check out Genelec and Dynaudio models in the price range. I have lovely speakers that sound awesome, but my room is the definition of mud. :D It was a shock to listen to music for the first time here after I moved in. "Wait, what happened, are my speakers broken?"

All good suggestions and we can ALL want "great" without asking ourselves "what's good enough" for OUR application. Define how many external channels you want to record simultaneously. Channels affects price - Apogee and Focusrite are at the higher end price-wise but maybe you only need one/two channels with a mic preamp.
With speakers I agree that this is wear the rubber meets the road. I have a pair of Adam A7X I picked up used for $900. There are other good speakers out there for less. I have a pair of old JBL 4312 that work pretty nice that you can find used for $500/pair. Define the speaker size & budget that works for you. You'll be surprised with what you can get away with to make a "decent" studio setup.

If you're just going to record yourself playing guitar, you can use the Axe-FX II as audio interface via USB to Logic. This way you can spend more of your budget on studio monitors.

Edit: shemihazazel was faster.

But how do you adjust the audio level (iTunes, etc) with the guitar's level when you're just playing along with audio tracks and not recording?

You can either balance the output volume in iTunes and output volume in Logic to get an appropriate balance, or you can import the audio track you want to play along with into Logic and do the balancing there.

Given the following:

* Macbook Pro
* Logic Studio
* Axe-Fx II

The only thing you are missing is monitors... (assuming the only instrument you are recording is guitar/bass). The AxeII has an audio-interface already.

I would stick with Logic unless you are unhappy with it. If you do want to change, then I would look at Reaper before going the pro-tools route.

One thing to note here - are you using Logic 9? My understanding is that some folks have some problems with earlier versions of Logic when trying to use the Axe-fx II as an interface.

If you are interested in exploring re-amping, you currently cannot (and probably never will be able to due to technology limitations) listen to your mix while you reamp purely through USB. This is, in my opinion, a huge limitation for the Axe-fx II user. I use my Axe-fx II as an outboard effects unit, sending audio out through my interface and back in via USB, so having an interface is pretty important to my workflow. If you are going to grow your studio at all, I'd highly suggest getting even a basic one like mine (Focusrite Saffire PRO 14), and setting it up as your audio out. It's definitely worth the extra $250 considering the flexibility it affords you.

just spend your money on 2xlr cables and 2quality monitors ;) (maybe a volume controller between the axe and the monitors)

Back
Top Bottom