need a new Mic? look at this!

hi guys!

as much as i like the SM57, i get tired of it... and i discover this!
the BeyerDynamic D50d
this is now my new favorite Dynamic mic for live Guitar and Snare.

I would have liked to have seen the same cab or drum or voice with the SM57 versus the D50d.

That would tell loads more than someone talking about it.

Talking about sound is like talking about food. Unless you are actually experiencing what the person is talking about, we get lost in the language.

I will say, I'm plenty intrigued.
But I also remember in the mic cabinet at my old place, we had a Beyerdynamic M-500 that we hardly ever reached for when we had the Shures, AKG's, EV's, Sennheisers, AT's, Audix's, the Beyer M-160, and Neumann's around. The M-500 was always underwhelming in a shootout versus other mics IMHO.

I would love to actually hear D50d in a shootout with another mic.

Based on that clip my favorite was the SM57, having a little more highs. The blend was nice too.
I agree.

I did like the 160 too. There's a certain midrange edge that's easy to keep the guitar defined in a mix that's slightly different than the 57.

The D50d was a little dark in it's interpretation for my tastes. I would end up EQ'ing that track to sound like either of the other two mics.

for live situation, i tend to go for a little darker mix, nothing is worst then a too bright loud mix for 90mins.

thanks for the feedback guys!

I'd have to play with this myself. Those mic positions in the video are nothing like what I'd use.

I'm a fan of the M160, but as Cliff and I discovered last year, not all M160s are created equal. We actually returned one because it sounded so unlike another. Turns out the good one was the exception. Other M160 mics tested did not sound as good.

Last edited:
It's hard for me to narrow it down to one favorite mic for guitar. It depends on the amp, cab, speakers and genre. I guess that's why the pro's have something called "mic lockers". :D

I'm a fan of the M160, but as Cliff and I discovered last year, not all M160s are created equal. We actually returned one because it sounded so unlike another. Turns out the good one was the exception. Other M160 mics tested did not sound as good.

+1 on the M160.

My "Desert Island" mics would be a combination of a 57 and R121. It sounds great with everything from clean to mean. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom