NAD: 1971 Fender Princeton Reverb

Ben Randolph

Power User
Hey all!

I've always been in love with the Princeton Reverb. I missed out on a perfectly-restored 1968 (not reissue) Princeton Reverb two years ago when the seller pulled out of the deal at the last minute (apparently his wife found the receipt from when he'd paid to have the amp restored and said, nope...ain't selling this!).

The other day I found this prime 1971 (my birth year) Silverface Princeton Reverb for sale. It's been recently overhauled, including a cap job. The baffle has been custom cut for a 12" speaker and it has several NOS tubes, along with the obligatory 3-prong power cable. It's in perfect working condition and a real gem.

The speaker is a Jensen C12N reissue, so junk in other words, but I have a nice Weber 12A125 coming to go in it.

This amp sounds fantastic and has plenty of vintage mojo. The pine cabinet resonates beautifully and I think the amp really shines with a 12" speaker. It takes pedals like a champ, too!

I have a 68 Reissue Princeton Reverb (also a good amp, with speaker upgrade), but the vintage just has a great 3-D organic vibe that makes it a joy to play.

I'm scoping out going 100% NOS tubes. There's a guy in North Richland Hills on Craigslist with some 60's Raytheon 12ax7s. If he doesn't call me back, I'll order online :)

Wish I’d gotten a vintage Princeton Reverb from day one when I picked up guitar again. But, choosing gear is all part of a journey. You have to kiss a lot of frogs.

The AxeFX does a great Princeton Reverb. I can't give up tube amps. I choose to have both!

Too bad you didn't live closer, Ben. I would have made you a deal once the Weber was in to capture that bad boy as IR files.

That is going to one bad mammer jammer.

I agree! Almost no better recording amp than a vintage Princeton Reverb. If you're ever in Dallas, I can give you access to some legendary amps to capture :)

Back
Top Bottom