My thoughts so far..

Thanks Mark, I've tried A/B'ing them through the same speaker cabs (via Matrix GT1000FX), but I haven't tried A/B'ing through FRFR yet. And I haven't tried the newest OH or FAS add-on cabs. Maybe that's where the secret sauce is. ;) There's some combination of harmonics and front-end "grunt" (not sure what else to call it) that the real Friedman has that is missing in the model.

Are you using the beta firmware? I think if you go with a great set of FRFR speakers your going to find you will have allot more versatility, the only issue is the bucks needed to do that. I am using the Mackie HD1221s but there are allot of people who believe in the Atomic CLR speakers. I have to say I love my Mackies and they have a contour switch on them for using them at lower levels. I just have faith that you will be able to do it, like I said it may take some hard work and time but I really believe you will get it. As far as the add ons I would lean towards the OH I purchased the Producers also but the OH really sound great I use them now for most of my presets they really made a difference.

A bit condescending...don't you think?? I've had the same experience with my Friedman HBE, and it has nothing to do with fear. I WANT my Axe to sound like my Friedman so I can stop hauling that boat anchor around. The Friedman models are great in the Axe, but different. There is a subtle quality to my real Friedman that I (at least so far) have not been able to duplicate.

Wasn't meant to be... It's like a placebo thing... people in general tend to romanticize things, gear, tones, amps, women, etc.. I keep doubting myself that am I getting the same sound I got out of my triaxis 2:90 rig that I loved, but at this point I'm not sure what that was. I think it's the amp in the room thing that will never be duplicated as it's apples and oranges.

I know what your saying man I use to have a Boss GT8 at one time and really had a great sound going with it. Over the years I sold it bought a GT10 and developed a new sound I never did quite capture that same sound But i always get real close to what seems to sound my ears are always trying to achieve. Its almost like no matter what gear I use I'm always dialing in my own sound. When ever I achieve the sound I am looking for I name it my name. Then if I am using different guitars and it needs tweaking Ill name it by guitar and sometimes by the Cab until they add that to the main display which I am hoping Cliff will do. I guess its like a brand new car of a particular model and year the same car off the line will never run identical one might be faster than the other or one might get a bit better gas millage. Even brand new guitars of the same model and year never play the same or sound exactly the same. Either way I still hope he is able to fine tune his setup to obtain a very close sound that he is after at least a sound that he can call his own and loves it.

Your Cab IR choices are more than 50% of your actual tones. I cannot recommend using the Mix Fractal versions along with the new Own Hammer IR's enough. That's the final 'wall' here; it was always the biggest partner to the amp modeling all along. The newest generation of IR's are the keys to the whole thing.

A bit condescending...don't you think?? I've had the same experience with my Friedman HBE, and it has nothing to do with fear. I WANT my Axe to sound like my Friedman so I can stop hauling that boat anchor around. The Friedman models are great in the Axe, but different. There is a subtle quality to my real Friedman that I (at least so far) have not been able to duplicate.

A difference I've noticed lately, is that there is a bit less of a '3D' dimension to notes with the Axe, which isn't a bad thing, it's just different. I noticed it when I was jamming through my cab (poweramp+cab), and then when I went back to FRFR (studio monitors for me) i could kinda tell as well. It's almost in between the feel aspect and the sonic aspect. I imagine this may be something that can be tweaked in however.

Your Cab IR choices are more than 50% of your actual tones. I cannot recommend using the Mix Fractal versions along with the new Own Hammer IR's enough. That's the final 'wall' here; it was always the biggest partner to the amp modeling all along. The newest generation of IR's are the keys to the whole thing.

+1

The OwnHammer cabs are beyond description. Between those and the FAS "mix" options, you'll get tones you only dreamed about. I can tell you this with all honesty - since I bought the OwnHammer IRs, and as I go through my patches doing my usual tweaking, I find myself incorporating them either in part or in whole into my patches. They're that good...as are the FAS mix IRs.

Welcome aboard to the OP.

My experience was, that as I became better at programming, the sounds I came up with in the first few weeks (that I thought were awesome at that time), pail in comparison to the stuff I can squeeze out of the unit a year later. Factor my own learning curve in, with new firmware updates, and it results in log-rhythmically better presets.

I think maybe one of the things you tube snobs miss, is the push and pull that an amp can give you when it is in the same room and your guitar wood and strings are vibrating sympathetically to the sound of the amp, and that interaction's impact on the sound and the character and sustain circulating the second time through the tubes (even without noticeable feedback).

However, in this day and age of isolation mic'ing a cabinet, or in a live setting, having tube amps off stage, or with a load box, guitarists have long lost that interaction.

I think the biggest difference is that an amp, in front of you, and moving air, is always going to "feel better" than listening to a recording of the same sound...or than a simulation by a highly accurate device, such as the Axe II.

If you scan the video archives of top pros and session players, the overwhelming sentiment they offer is along these lines: "Is this going to REPLACE my vintage amps? NO! But I can get on a plane with this box in a 2-space rack, as a carry-on and tour the world with it....Tucked under my arm is 10,000 possible combinations....that's 9,999 more than when I take my Plexi and Echoplex on the road with me."

Again, welcome.

an easy way to compare is just copy your settings into the "Y" slot of whatever block you're editing. then go back to "X" and tweak. to hear what the original sounded like, just pop over to "Y". if you can't get it better, you can always copy "Y" over to "X" and start again.

Great idea, thanks Simeon! Little short-cuts like that are where I'm lacking right now. I know I have a ton to learn, but have been at it since Tuesday afternoon between recording clients. I think I have a pretty good jump start so far. Thankfully my last pre-amp was extremely intimidating when it came to programming it....so I'm used to learning curves and trial and error. :)

Oi!! DD! know you from guitarblast,chaos forums [me jimbop or slicer]

ive only got the ultra [sniffle] but if you get to grips with the axe II, and going from your past contributions/help with mixing etc....you will be a MASSIVE aid for axe II tone seekers!

seriously, if you stay with the II, im sure you could influence additions for the III and push me to upgrade from the ultra!
hope you hang in there dan,
jim.

Yo Jim! Good to hear from you bro. Yeah, I'm not giving up. My 2101 took about 6 weeks before I totally understood how thr algorithms worked. Easy to edit, incredibly hard to create patches from the ground up as you know from our talks on 6sh. So I'm all for learning this thing and not jumping to ANY conclusions at this point. For sure I'll do whatever I can to influence, help out, share, whatever it takes. I just hope people don't get sick of me once I start sharing patches and other cool things. Hahaha! :)

Here's a one stop shop for firmware, etc

Index of /public/AxeFX Files

Awesome thanks so much for this! Will check that out for sure.

Hey Danny! Small world eh? What Simeon said. Don't be too quick to write off others' patches, you can learn alot from very different approaches. Early days, I think you'll find what you're looking for, just be patient... and take advantage of the huge amount of great tips in old forum posts and the wiki.

Hi vesta, small world for sure. It's kinda cool to know a few people on here. Seems like and awesome community and I so can't wait to give back. Nah I didn't mean to sound like I was writing off other peoples patches. My own personal thing is...I learn from jumping in head first. In my experience (with myself as well as others at times) when something is provided for me/them, it can make us lazy and sort of stop your creativity from happening. I like to look at other peoples patches to get ideas....look and listen to what something sounds like in that spot, look into the configuration etc.

But another thing that sort of goes against me is....I'm horribly under the gun these days. My studio's (thank you God) are insane with work as well as my own stuff going on and a little cover band on the side. So it would be all too easy for me to grab some patches and just go with them, tweak them to my taste and move on. But I really want to learn this thing and create my own. At the expense of not bringing it out for my next gig, I'd rather get it down with my own patches and learn it. I'm working in the studio these days from 6 pm until 9-10 am the next day just about 7 days a week. So for sure I'll take an easy way out if I allow myself. LOL!!

I agree, I've been wondering about if there is a compare button.
Copying X to Y and editing Y seems like a solution albeit extra work and defeating using it for two settings.

With most AMP blocks I end up adding a Drive block to get into high gain territory but often wonder where is the high gain? It falls short.
I'm not a warm tube tone blues guy, I come from a school of
EVH, Vinnie Vincent, YJM, JP, Lynch, Randy Rhoads, Ronni Le Tekro, John Sykes...

Btw - dannydanzi - listening to songs on your myspace page, cool songs and top notch playing/tone/chops!

Rexx, I've found that pushing the compression level (if you have a comp in your chain) adds some nice high gain. I'm not crazy about most of the "drive" in the stomps. Either gain boost in the amp, or "level" from the comp on a driven amp usually works for me. I come from the same school as you brother...all the same players. I just wish I would have stolen more from them. LOL! Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate that. :)

Welcome Danny, from a fellow New-Jerseyan and Axe-Fx fanatic. I think it is safe to say that you will never see a 12AX7 in an Axe-Fx. It would be totally incongruous to the core philosophy. Speaking for myself, I can't hear the need for it.

COMPARE has long been slated for Axe-Edit as a build-out of the "SNAPSHOT" feature. It won't be in the initial release of 3.0, but given how things are moving quickly along on this project, it could be added to a future version. We've also talked at times about having the program keep a log of edits, like the photoshop "History" but this would be farther out if it makes the roadmap at all.

Hi M@: Thanks for the reply. Ah you're from NJ also? North or South? I'm in South in between Philly and Atlantic City. I had a feeling there would be more of a "compare" at some point. Nice to know it may show up at some point. Understood on the pre-tube thing. How about at least more options to control the actual pre-amp section? Like tube selection and tweaks for pre's amp tubes etc? Ever mess around with Revalver MK? They have this pre-amp tube tweak that's sort of like our power tube tweak. Would be cool to have these choices as they really made a nice difference for me in this plug as far as the 12AX7 voicing goes. Maybe over-kill, but heck, we got everything else with the Axe. :) Thanks for the reply and the welcome.

One thing that I do when I make a change is just save a preset of it right next to the one I am changing. This way you can easily bounce back and fourth between the two.

Thanks Mark, as noted, I'll definitely be messing with this. :)

I agree, there is nothing a 12AX7 could contribute to the Axe FX at this point.... there have been countless processors that have a built in tube, just to disappoint on their tone...

I have to peacefully disagree with you there Nicolas. Having used 12AX7's my whole life either with tube power amps or tranny power amps, the 12AX7 front end makes a HUGE difference to *me*. I think the Axe could definitely benefit from having a bit more pre-tube sound in more of the models. Some of these patches even with a little work, just sound like a transistor delivery to me. See, you mention countless processors....the one's you're probably referring to have the tube in it, but don't really run it correctly in the chain. I could rattle off several that use this "hype" technology. Honest when I tell you, just because something has a 12AX7 doesn't mean it's USING the 12AX7 correctly the way an amp or a good pre-amp like the TriAxis would...or even the front end on a Dual Recto. I don't want to name any names in case any manufacturers hang on this forum...but honest, I can name quite a few that are so solid state sounding, the only thing the tube does is "light up". Again, don't get me wrong...I'm not bashing the Axe or trying to start any confrontations. I just felt that the majority of the tube models sounded great and sounded like what they were supposed to sound like, BUT were missing the 12AX7 impact I have come to enjoy from my tube rigs and tube pre's I've enjoyed for many years. That said...some tube front ends sound horrible and we're better off using solid state. Not all tube rigs are good. :)

I believe if you work hard at it you will be able to capture the sound your after with the Axe FX, just put some time in.

I'm willing to do it Mark. I've been at it non-stop since Tuesday...so I'm giving it my all and am not one bit disappointed. :)

I think it's just in your head... some people fear change and just refuse to believe they are getting all they can when not using the real thing.

Nah dp, I'm up for change and welcome it, honest. This thing sounds as good as the real thing (in more ways than it doesn't) there's just something missing in the delivery and harmonic value that I've only been able to get with 12AX7's. Axe gets it super close...close enough to where I'm cool with it. BUT...it doesn't do it on enough tube voicings is what I'm saying. There are amps that don't sound like they have a tube front end. They sound like a model of the real amp in transistor form on the majority. I'm not complaining, honest.

Hi Danny, welcome! :)

Have you tried the Triaxis models? You probably already know this, but the Triaxis is a 12AX7-based preamp, and the Axe II does an amazing job of reproducing that tone. Check it out! :encouragement:

Hi mrstrat, thank you! Which ones are they? I didn't see anything that actually said "TriAxis"...then again, I can barely read the names on the screen and just go through them one at a time until I find an amp voicing I like...then I edit, then I mess with cabs, mic's etc...most times I'm just switching things until it sounds good and when it does, then I get my magnifying glass so I can write down that voicing and combo. Hahahaha! Then I back it up. :)

You all have been super friendly and helpful. Thanks so much again for taking part, I really do appreciate it all and in spite of some of my opinions, honestly come in peace and will do my best to get the best out of my Axe. Thanks again. :)

Hi rodz, and thank you!

Yeah I actually enjoy the whole programming thing. It's pretty much what I do for a living. Between my own processors, all my beta testing I do for several companies and now the Axe, it's all good fun.

Oh honest when I tell you man, I'm the furthest from a tube snob. I have no problems using solid state stuff if it has a good sound. I just notice something very "sonic" in the voicing. Tube power amps aren't anything I require these days....I'm fine with a hybrid of a tube pre front end and a Rocktron Velocity for a power amp. I just prefer the tube front end. I have a whole slew of tube amps here that I hate. I bought them because I thought they would be worth money some day. Some of them sound horrible because they have weak pre's or need mods. To me the pre is what gives you the amp character. It's just a certain sound I enjoy that hits me in the heart.

For example, I've heard some pretty good EVH tones with PODS, Axe, a few other solid state amps and pre's....they have the sound down...but not that pre-tube delivery. I wish I could explain it other than Eddie has that certain something in his sound that the copped tones are missing. The copped tones (unless guys use real amps) sound a bit too sonic to me. There's this saturation that just doesn't show up in a solid state sound to my ears. Sorry I can't explain it better. Anyway....I beat the 12AX7 thing into the ground. Hopefully someone can relate to what I'm saying. If not, that's ok too. :) Thanks again.

How about at least more options to control the actual pre-amp section? Like tube selection and tweaks for pre's amp tubes etc? Ever mess around with Revalver MK? They have this pre-amp tube tweak that's sort of like our power tube tweak. Would be cool to have these choices as they really made a nice difference for me in this plug as far as the 12AX7 voicing goes. Maybe over-kill, but heck, we got everything else with the Axe.

Great point IMO - we have a lot of depth in terms of tweakability of the power amp and cab sections. Maybe pre-amp section tweaks are on Cliff's list of areas to explore (i don't see him letting up until every nook and cranny is shaken out)! As mentioned by Admin though - safe to say we'll never see a real pre-amp tube in the axe-fx (though I don't think that's what the OP was suggesting).

Wasn't meant to be... It's like a placebo thing... people in general tend to romanticize things, gear, tones, amps, women, etc.. I keep doubting myself that am I getting the same sound I got out of my triaxis 2:90 rig that I loved, but at this point I'm not sure what that was. I think it's the amp in the room thing that will never be duplicated as it's apples and oranges.

I hear ya, lol. :) I find myself doing exactly the same thing. Second guessing myself. I think I have to change my attitude about it sounding EXACTLY like the original amp. I'm really happy with my Triaxis Yellow patch in the Axe II right now. It's not exactly the same as my real Triaxis, but it might just be better in some aspects. And I'm getting some amazing clean tones out of the Vox models. The reason the Friedman HBE is so frustrating for me right now is that when I play my real Friedman, it nails the Classic Rock tones I'm looking for for 90% of what I play. (AC/DC, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Early ZZ Top, Spin Doctors, etc.) So I'd kill to get the exact same uuumph, I'm getting from the real amp. :)

Are you using the beta firmware? I think if you go with a great set of FRFR speakers your going to find you will have allot more versatility, the only issue is the bucks needed to do that. I am using the Mackie HD1221s but there are allot of people who believe in the Atomic CLR speakers. I have to say I love my Mackies and they have a contour switch on them for using them at lower levels. I just have faith that you will be able to do it, like I said it may take some hard work and time but I really believe you will get it. As far as the add ons I would lean towards the OH I purchased the Producers also but the OH really sound great I use them now for most of my presets they really made a difference.

Yes, I'm using the 11Beta. I have a single RCF that I should be able to get me there. Which OH libraries are you using? Keep in mind I'm not after the harder stuff, no metal, mostly classic rock stuff, and clean tones.

Hi mrstrat, thank you! Which ones are they? I didn't see anything that actually said "TriAxis"...then again, I can barely read the names on the screen and just go through them one at a time until I find an amp voicing I like...then I edit, then I mess with cabs, mic's etc...most times I'm just switching things until it sounds good and when it does, then I get my magnifying glass so I can write down that voicing and combo. Hahahaha! Then I back it up. :)

Hi Danny, they are called:

USA Pre Green - is based on the Triaxis Lead2 Green Mode
USA Pre Yellow - is based the Triaxis Lead2 Yellow Mode
USA Clean 2 - is based on the Triaxis Rhythm Green Mode

I've A/B'd these against my real Triaxis and they are scarily close. Also, do yourself a favor and check out the Trip-Tik models. :)

Also, the Wiki is an invaluable resource.

Here is the Wiki on all of the amp models:

AMP (block): list - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Danny once you upgrade to 11 B try this Mark IV patch Adam posted, this was done in a 10 .something version so you'll need to bring up the overdrive in the USA Lead BRT+ amp to about 8.
I love the T808 Mod drive he has in front of this one as well.
it's turned into one of my favorite Mark IV patches, for some reason this one is very 'responsive" and sounds really close to the Mark IV"A" I used to have :)
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-preset-exchange/67163-patches-certain-muscly-bearded-guitar-player.html#post827823

Hey Danny, great to see you here! I was going to email you when I first picked up mine early last year to tell you about it. Definitely try 11b, among other things, I think it made huge advancements in feel and the top end frequencies. Give the Triptik a try if you haven't already. I'm sure in no time you will be a huge contributor around here, like you have been in many other communities in the past. Miss the old GW days and meetups.

Last edited:
These days, a great 12AX7 tube front end is where the main character of the tone originates for me.
Reminds me of something like Fryette Amplification - Valvulator - Overview
of which Fryette insists you should use for better feel etc.
He uses them in his demo of his upcoming 1U power amp.

Of course, it's his own product and I've just as well read bad things about it, that you don't need it, etc.

I'm however very open to it, cause I still think there's a feel element lacking and when you strike the string, you are very quick to reach what I call a "dynamic maximum", where with a real amp you can on "keep striking it harder and harder" with difference in feel and sound.

If I interpreted correctly, I've also seen the maker of Carol Amps say that this is what makes it easy for him to discern the Axe from a real amp.
IMO, once you know what I mean, it is pretty easy to discern feelwise.

OTOH, it's been a while since I played vintage amps and I would have to recheck all of that with some different parameters that may have been involved.
Maybe the real cab has more to do with it than the tube, for what I experienced, but some of the stuff aforementioned guys are saying still gives me hope.
Not that I'm not happy, BTW ;)

Hey reclavea! Thanks for the welcome and the awesome information. You mention FW 11b....is it worth trying? Mine came with 10.11 and I didn't see 11b anywhere. I know the b probably stands for beta...so it must have some issues here and there. Does this improve the sound at all? Worth trying?

Also, I haven't installed the software that allows you to edit on your pc because it looked like there might be some crashing etc. I wanted to try my best to learn the unit by using the internal screens without the software just until I felt comfortable. So far I've not experienced any issues and the back-ups as well as installs of other peoples sounds have been spot on.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome and for sharing your experience with me. :)

You bet!

11beta may be down as the official release is any time now. FWIW, I've not experienced any bugs myself regarding FW11beta. That's says a lot about how far FAS has come with regard to FW stability service, which btw was always 2nd to none from the start. The man himself frequently chimes in on posts! ....even the non-chalant ones!

I think more fun things to discuss upon release of Axe-Edit 3.0 and FW11!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom