My new Xitone Axe FX II combo

Johan Allard

Power User
Last week I received my new Xitone custom Axe FX II combo. Here's a couple of pictures.

Overview. The top rack compartment is 3U in size, enough for the Axe FX II and the RAC12 from Fxunits.com.

IMG_5725_zps3qtxayr1.jpg

Inspected (and approved) by one of our cat's (Rufus):

IMG_5731_zpskfmq7t4m.jpg

Back:

IMG_5736_zpslozvpze1.jpg

Detailed view of amp and configuration in the low middle. The top button is a 3dB pad for the FRFR. The second button disables FRFR (disables the tweeter in the FRFR coaxial speaker) making it sound much closer to a regular cab. The green speakon connector runs a parallel output to another speaker if needed and at the very bottom is master power with a master power switch for the unit.

IMG_5739_zpsdjnhmdf1.jpg

Builtin powerboard:

IMG_5740_zpsqxu0pxnd.jpg

It feels like I'm constantly searching for the easiest and my convenient way to setup my Axe FX. The latest in my quest has been to get a custom build from Xitone that is effectively an Axe FX II combo.

Looks
I think it looks awesome. To the untrained eye it could almost pass for a regular guitar combo, a big difference from my previous Yamaha DXR10 setup.

Sound
It sounds great. In comparison to my previous Yamaha DXR10, it is definitely clearer and sounds flatter to me. Where's the DXR10 has a bit of midrange hump, I don't hear that at all with the Emminence Beta Coaxial speaker and the Xitone cab. Another thing that is much, much better is the dispertion. This is probably due to the coaxial speaker but regardless, it is much better. Almost anywhere I stand it sounds the same. Very cool.

Setup and teardown
With this setup, only 3 cables are required. Master power, connection from the Axe Fx to the MFC and guitar cable. That's it. First time I used it was on a gig on Saturday and it's just much easier to roll it on stage, hook up power, connect the MFC, connect the guitar and rock out. Same thing afterwards, a couple of cables and I was out of there. Clearly much easier than my previous setup.

The build
Mick from Xitone has been just awesome to deal with throughout the build. We had lengthy discussions on features and he added the cable runs and power board you see in the pictures. All features I wanted in my quest for the ultimate in convenience. He also sent lots of pictures all the way through. Just a 100% awesome top guy. I would not hesitate the slightest using Xitone again, and I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a speaker solution. Just awesome!

Convenience
That is the important question in the end. Is it more convenient. And for me, sadly, it isn't. And it isn't for one very stupid reason. It doesn't easily fit in my car. Now, I drive a fairly small car – a VW Golf, and I can fit the Yamaha DXR10, the Axe Fx 2 in a gator case, the MFC101 on a pedaltrain 2 and 2 guitars in a mono dual guitar bag, all in my trunk. It's a tight fit but it fits. But with the Xitone combo, it takes just that little bit more room that I had to fold my back seats just to get everything to the gig. This is just one of these things that never crossed my mind to check before ordering, and we did discuss dimensions and I just didn't check. So if I just had a little bit bigger car, like I did before going down the Axe Fx route, it wouldn't have been a problem and it would definitely have been more convenient. So if you're driving something that's just a little bit bigger than a Golf and want the ultimate in Axe Fx rehearsing/gigging convenience (at least if you're currently carrying your own monitor solution), just tell Mick that you want something like this one, or PM me and I'm sure we can make a deal :).

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Looks great! I have a three space version on the way as well and looking forward to the prospect of having an integrated setup. Check out Studio Slips if you're thinking of a protective/dust cover for it. Just had them make me a carry cover for an old THD Univalve head and it's top shelf. I'll be doing one of these for the XiTone soon as I get the measurements for it.

My Mesa Boogie Mark IV had removable casters on it which came stock from the factory. You simply pushed a button and the caster would slide off. That could gain you a few inches (cm's) possibly.

Hi Johan. So, this is the second Xitone cab that I've seen with the new addition of the FRFR on/off switch. Did you take the time to utilize this and what were your thoughts on running it one way or another?

Thanks. :)

Last week I received my new Xitone custom Axe FX II combo. Here's a couple of pictures.

Overview. The top rack compartment is 3U in size, enough for the Axe FX II and the RAC12 from Fxunits.com.

It feels like I'm constantly searching for the easiest and my convenient way to setup my Axe FX. The latest in my quest has been to get a custom build from Xitone that is effectively an Axe FX II combo.

Looks
I think it looks awesome. To the untrained eye it could almost pass for a regular guitar combo, a big difference from my previous Yamaha DXR10 setup.

Sound
It sounds great. In comparison to my previous Yamaha DXR10, it is definitely clearer and sounds flatter to me. Where's the DXR10 has a bit of midrange hump, I don't hear that at all with the Emminence Beta Coaxial speaker and the Xitone cab. Another thing that is much, much better is the dispertion. This is probably due to the coaxial speaker but regardless, it is much better. Almost anywhere I stand it sounds the same. Very cool.

Setup and teardown
With this setup, only 3 cables are required. Master power, connection from the Axe Fx to the MFC and guitar cable. That's it. First time I used it was on a gig on Saturday and it's just much easier to roll it on stage, hook up power, connect the MFC, connect the guitar and rock out. Same thing afterwards, a couple of cables and I was out of there. Clearly much easier than my previous setup.

The build
Mick from Xitone has been just awesome to deal with throughout the build. We had lengthy discussions on features and he added the cable runs and power board you see in the pictures. All features I wanted in my quest for the ultimate in convenience. He also sent lots of pictures all the way through. Just a 100% awesome top guy. I would not hesitate the slightest using Xitone again, and I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a speaker solution. Just awesome!

Convenience
That is the important question in the end. Is it more convenient. And for me, sadly, it isn't. And it isn't for one very stupid reason. It doesn't easily fit in my car. Now, I drive a fairly small car – a VW Golf, and I can fit the Yamaha DXR10, the Axe Fx 2 in a gator case, the MFC101 on a pedaltrain 2 and 2 guitars in a mono dual guitar bag, all in my trunk. It's a tight fit but it fits. But with the Xitone combo, it takes just that little bit more room that I had to fold my back seats just to get everything to the gig. This is just one of these things that never crossed my mind to check before ordering, and we did discuss dimensions and I just didn't check. So if I just had a little bit bigger car, like I did before going down the Axe Fx route, it wouldn't have been a problem and it would definitely have been more convenient. So if you're driving something that's just a little bit bigger than a Golf and want the ultimate in Axe Fx rehearsing/gigging convenience (at least if you're currently carrying your own monitor solution), just tell Mick that you want something like this one, or PM me and I'm sure we can make a deal :).

Thanks for looking!

Thanks for your kind words and for posting the pics!

I'm with you, it looks like Rufus approves and the good thing is he could try and try and not mess up the finish with his claws!

Last edited:
Looks great! I have a three space version on the way as well and looking forward to the prospect of having an integrated setup. Check out Studio Slips if you're thinking of a protective/dust cover for it. Just had them make me a carry cover for an old THD Univalve head and it's top shelf. I'll be doing one of these for the XiTone soon as I get the measurements for it.

I Studio slips for my Yamaha DXR 10's, and yeah I agree, they are brilliant.

Wow that turned out really nice! I think would find a bigger car and keep the rig :lol. Seriously though it's really clean and too the point, how much does it weigh?

The weight with nothing in it is just short of 28Kg and loaded with the Axe Fx II and RAC12 38Kg. It's quite a bit but since it's reasonably compact and with good handles it's not too bad. For comparison it weighs about the same as the equivalent Atomic CLR + Axe Fx II in a rack case, or about the same as a Marshall JVM410 combo.

Hi Johan. So, this is the second Xitone cab that I've seen with the new addition of the FRFR on/off switch. Did you take the time to utilize this and what were your thoughts on running it one way or another?
My 1x12 XiTone monitor has the FRFR bypass switch on it as well. I have switched it off as an experiment, just to hear the sonic impact, but I always leave it in FRFR. Because everything in my touring rig is FRFR, I didn't really need that feature, but it's an interesting option in case I wind up using this monitor in a more conventional amp setting.

My Mesa Boogie Mark IV had removable casters on it which came stock from the factory. You simply pushed a button and the caster would slide off. That could gain you a few inches (cm's) possibly.

Who wouldn't want to gain a few inches :) Yeah, maybe I should look into that.

Thanks. :)

I've only really played it loud at the gig on Saturday and that time I played with full FRFR. When I did a A/B test at home my Yahama DXR10's are fairly close in sound to the Xitone cab with the 3dB PAD enabled. FRFR disabled is a pretty cool option, especially for those that's not used to FRFR. But since I am used to FRFR by now it's probably not something that I'll use that much.

Won't you need a DI to the FOH too?

Great looking setup. Mick is a class act and makes great stuff.

Yes, that needed to be connected as well. It was pretty funny actually, I caught the soundguy trying to mic up the cab as he didn't recognise it from our previous gig there and it looked like a regular cab to him :). I just unplugged his SM57 and plugged into Output 1.

Back
Top Bottom