My changing approach to making patches

Jarick

Experienced
Thought I'd do a quick recap of how I've approached making patches over time.

When I first got the AX8 two years ago, I made patches for every amp I enjoyed using. I tended to bounce around between those amps a fair amount. I also was constantly looking for the right impulse response for each amp and spent a lot of time and money doing so. The various patches do sound pretty good, but ultimately there is so much choice fatigue involved that it got in the way of playing.

Over the last several weeks, I've stumbled onto some things that I think have helped me quite a bit.

First, I've decided to get away from a variety of impulse responses and try to shape around one. This removes one changing variable and allows the differences in the amps to shine through better. I also found I really prefer the tone of one great IR even with "mismatched" amps because it's such a tone shaper. I tend to really like a closed back cab with Greenbacks, and that sounds great to me even with say a Fender Deluxe or Vox AC30.

There are a few impulses I like for this, including the factory 103 Basketweave TV mix, ML Legends M75 mix, Ownhammer Friedman 4x12, and currently the one I'm using is the Ownhammer Marshall Basketweave (from the GNR pack) OH1.

Next, I decided to cut down on the number of amps I'm using. Rather than having a dozen different amps, I decided to just focus on the main tones that I use. This simplified things yet again, and rather than deciding which particular clean tone I want, I just have my main clean tone. Same thing for crunch and high gain. It also makes it easier to change across different guitars.

Essentially, I boiled down the majority of the tone to something similar to a channel switching amp, rather than a studio full of amps.

I am really enjoying the Plexi 2204 for both my clean and crunch tones. I tried and liked the AC30 and various other Plexi amps like the 1987, but the 2204 with the gain around 2.5, bass up a bit, and presence down a bit gives me a great clean tone through a 4x12 with Greenbacks. I use a scene controller to boost the gain up to 5-6 for my crunch tone and dip the volume slightly to account. No need for any boost pedals or filters or anything.

For the high gain, right now I like the Friedman 2018 model. I also really like the Cameron Atomica High and other Friedman BE's. But the 2018 seems to work great with the Plexi. I run the bass full up (just as Friedman recommends) and boost the mid/treble a touch and back off the presence. Gain anywhere from 5-7.

I don't use a ton of effects, but am playing around with a pitch detune, a chorus, a delay, and a bit of reverb. The X/Y switches are great to be able to swap out effects types without additional CPU, or adjust effects levels for different scenes.

The only other thing I could see doing is making copies of the patch for different guitars, such as boosting up the gain for my Strat with lower output pickups, or maybe making a version with a little different effect layout for different songs.

Just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone interested in talking workflow. I enjoy reading other people's approaches to creating patches and maybe it could be useful for someone who feels stuck.

i think many people switch to modeling initially for the "i can have everything!" concept. but imagine having 20 real amps on a stage. even if it all fits and works well, you'd still have to change among all those amps, balance volumes, adjust tones, etc. it's just a lot to do whether physical or digital.

i feel all the options that modeling provides lets us find our own tone with whatever combination of things we use. some people feel they are "wasting" all the potential by not using at least 10 amps per gig and 20 IRs, etc. but for many situations, the goal is to perform well and sound good. and if one sound or preset does that for me night after night, then i feel i'm using the gear to its fullest.

I consider myself in the same boat :)

I use a quite small number of amps (I do use separate IRs for each amp), but that means I know these amps really well, and I can do so much with them by adding a few effects. Drives and/or a compressor in front of an amp, can really change the beast to go in different directions.

No right or wrong numbers, just whatever works for a given person

I have 8 guitars.... some say that is too many, some own far more, but for me it’s just right as I enjoy them all, play them all, and they each have a given purpose.

So 5 presets, or 50 presets, or 8 presets etc are all equally valid

Don’t use more or less just because someone else does, your you and they are them.

Been doing the same thing ,and now I know I can add color to the IR's ,i’m not mindless scrolling and going to a cab I wasn't even looking for :)

Last edited:
After 3 years I find myself simplifying as well. I also use one cab for everything now. The GNR CUT +121 MED from Ownhammer just works for me. I love the way it sounds clean, dirty, and everywhere in between. I use the 59 Bassguy for 90% of my clean tones. That spongy response with great low end and sparkle that it gets right before it breaks up just sounds amazing for me. Crunch and gain tones are a little more varied. I love the Corncob for mid and higher gain tones. It just has such a great punch and responds well to the boost control. The Div13 CJ Boost has a really distinct roar when really pushed that I like a lot and the Supremo Trem just does classic rock tones like nothing else I have tried and I literally just stumbled upon that model a few weeks ago. After watching Leon's most recent video on the Atomica though, I am going to do a deep dive into that model tomorrow to see if it can hang with the Corncob for my higher gain needs. Overall, I think keeping it simple is awesome, but eventually I will find something new that hits a sweet spot for me and I will wind up switching up my presets to accommodate that new love. That is the beauty of the AX8 for me. I am only using 4-5 amps at one time, but those 4-5 amps change every 6 months or so and I don't have to drop any more money to change my rig up when I get the itch for new sounds.

I'm still kind of looking for my tone, or the tone of my band to be exact. For a while I was quite happy with the FAS Modern III and I still use it live, but while composing (I record while composing), I've been really steering into the direction of Friedman and 5150. The Friedman may be a bit too spongy for live use, but double tracked with the 5150 it's just lovely. Could just be my settings or maybe some other Friedman model would just hit the spot.

I really need to spend a day just jamming to different amps.

Oh, and about the topic, I use just one preset live. I do have a "clean channel", for which I have chosen the dreaded 5150 clean channel. I'm a minimalist, and try to use as little to get as good a sound I can. I barely use any fx, just delay for solos and reverb for cleans. I'm working on one song that has a flanger part, so I need to add that.

Most players using a modeler goes through the honeymoon phase where they have to try everything. After a while we whittle things down to what we like or need or a combination of the two. With the AX8, there are so many different models of the same type of amp or IR that it can be challenging at times to decide which to use. The other thing that can happen if you're a tweaker is becoming quite familiar with some of the advanced parameters and finding a handful that give you exactly the feel and tone you want from a given amp. I listen to some of the presets I created when first getting comfortable with the AX8, which sounded great to me at the time, and find myself re-tweaking them with the tricks I've discovered and making them sound even better. That's probably what I love most about Fractal; the ability to get as deep as you want, combined with firmware updates that "improve" the amps even more makes it almost impossible to get bored with the tone.

The one trap I discovered and fell into is using one IR for a variety of amps. It works for a lot of people and it worked for a while for me but a lot of my presets wound up sounding very similar when there should be distinct tonal differences. While I agree with a minimalistic approach to reduce paralysis by analysis, there are some amp and speaker combinations that can't really be "messed with" because of the inherent tone they create. When I moved away from my limited IR philosophy my tones were so much more satisfying. I've actually found myself using more factory cabsl

My approach, being in a cover band, is to find a general consensus on the brand of amp for a style or specific amp of a band and try a couple of models that fall into the category. If I'm unable to get the tone that's needed with simple eq and gain tweaks, I move on to the next one. Once I find the model, I create a base preset by adding the amp and cab to my "AMP-DIR" preset that has a compressor, drive, amp, cab, volume, delay and reverb block. I'll create song presets from there. After playing a particular amp for a while I may check out a couple other amps in the same vein and sometimes find a new favorite.

While this approach doesn't really fall into the "settling on a couple" or minimalistic philosophy, I believe it falls somewhere in the middle. I am a tweaker at heart and was always looking for the next amp or pedal to get me closer to the "tone in my head" so the AX8 was a big risk for me when it came to 'wasting' time. However, after a short time I realized that the amps and cabs are not going anywhere. I have a virtual shop chock full of amps, cabs and effects that I own and can be accessed anytime I feel the urge to try something new or different. I've enjoyed playing more and had more fun the last couple of years than the previous 10+ thanks to Fractal.

Enough of the blabbing, peace.

Thanks for sharing, it's helpful to learn how others evolve their approach. I'm almost a year in with the AX8 and I'm gravitating towards the Friedman 2018 for high gain, Fender for cleans, and Plexi for in between. I use different IRs with each amp, and likewise the GNR pack with the Friedman is killer.

After 3 years I find myself simplifying as well. I also use one cab for everything now. The GNR CUT +121 MED from Ownhammer just works for me.

After watching Leon's most recent video on the Atomica though, I am going to do a deep dive into that model tomorrow to see if it can hang with the Corncob for my higher gain needs.

Overall, I think keeping it simple is awesome, but eventually I will find something new that hits a sweet spot for me and I will wind up switching up my presets to accommodate that new love. That is the beauty of the AX8 for me. I am only using 4-5 amps at one time, but those 4-5 amps change every 6 months or so and I don't have to drop any more money to change my rig up when I get the itch for new sounds.

The OH GNR is a great pack! I like that mix too. My pick is the RAW OH1-05. The raw impulses are a little brighter and more open. OH1 has a nice mid-scoop to it too. I'm not sure I have found anything I dislike it on.

I watched Leon's video last night and was amazed how much range he got out of that amp! He turned me on to that earlier this year and if the Friedman is my #1 high gain amp, the Atomica is #1A. Neck and neck.

AX8 is a GAS killer for me. I could do any project I want and have the tones I need. The only thing I could see is getting a Powercab or Friedman or something to get closer to "amp in the room" or for jamming.

Most players using a modeler goes through the honeymoon phase where they have to try everything. After a while we whittle things down to what we like or need or a combination of the two. With the AX8, there are so many different models of the same type of amp or IR that it can be challenging at times to decide which to use.

The one trap I discovered and fell into is using one IR for a variety of amps. It works for a lot of people and it worked for a while for me but a lot of my presets wound up sounding very similar when there should be distinct tonal differences. While I agree with a minimalistic approach to reduce paralysis by analysis, there are some amp and speaker combinations that can't really be "messed with" because of the inherent tone they create. When I moved away from my limited IR philosophy my tones were so much more satisfying. I've actually found myself using more factory cabsl

My approach, being in a cover band, is to find a general consensus on the brand of amp for a style or specific amp of a band and try a couple of models that fall into the category. If I'm unable to get the tone that's needed with simple eq and gain tweaks, I move on to the next one. Once I find the model, I create a base preset by adding the amp and cab to my "AMP-DIR" preset that has a compressor, drive, amp, cab, volume, delay and reverb block. I'll create song presets from there. After playing a particular amp for a while I may check out a couple other amps in the same vein and sometimes find a new favorite.

While this approach doesn't really fall into the "settling on a couple" or minimalistic philosophy, I believe it falls somewhere in the middle. I am a tweaker at heart and was always looking for the next amp or pedal to get me closer to the "tone in my head" so the AX8 was a big risk for me when it came to 'wasting' time. However, after a short time I realized that the amps and cabs are not going anywhere. I have a virtual shop chock full of amps, cabs and effects that I own and can be accessed anytime I feel the urge to try something new or different. I've enjoyed playing more and had more fun the last couple of years than the previous 10+ thanks to Fractal.

Enough of the blabbing, peace.

Great post, love to hear your approach!

I believe I'm on step two of your progression...after trying the kitchen sink approach, I'm now in the minimalist approach. And I'm very aware that they could sound homogeneous, but that's kind of okay with me right now. Eventually, I will probably branch out and add a few more models (love the AC20, Deluxe Reverb, AC30, Plexis, etc). But right now I feel like I need to keep it simple.

Thanks for sharing, it's helpful to learn how others evolve their approach. I'm almost a year in with the AX8 and I'm gravitating towards the Friedman 2018 for high gain, Fender for cleans, and Plexi for in between. I use different IRs with each amp, and likewise the GNR pack with the Friedman is killer.

The OH Friedman pack is killer too. Big fan of his work, along with ML.

I've been using FAS gear since they opened the doors and I learned early on that (for me), settling on 2-4 amps as my core sound, works best. Especially for a live, gigging scenario. Then every so often, I go through presets just to enjoy the fun of their differences.

I had the same Epiphany shortly after purchasing the AX8. I just use one bank, and it only contains a few amps. I treat the AX8 as if I am playing through a real rig. I just use a few affects. Simple is more gooder. I concentrate on my playing.

Last edited:
The OH GNR is a great pack! I like that mix too. My pick is the RAW OH1-05. The raw impulses are a little brighter and more open. OH1 has a nice mid-scoop to it too. I'm not sure I have found anything I dislike it on.

I've been using a mix of the MRBW - Med Brown-05 and the MRBW GNR SP2-05. Kinda stopped looking, but I'll check out the one you mentioned as well as the Friedman pack.

Back
Top Bottom