Music Man Majesty... weird thing

These are things that I wish that will have option to set for each guitar (for the multiple guitar users). Each guitar can use different gain inputs...

Also.. I wish that the input will simply react as the original input of the amp so I won't need to adjust it any time...
Seriously globally I don’t have problems without touching anything in the axe, I am always changing guitars, everyday, every hour 😅, just this one is boring. And also my sg that in clean tone sound like shit in my clean presets . But for the rest it’s ok.

But yeah imagine a bank with your guitar names that you choose before playing. Can be nice .

These are things that I wish that will have option to set for each guitar (for the multiple guitar users). Each guitar can use different gain inputs...

Also.. I wish that the input will simply react as the original input of the amp so I won't need to adjust it any time...
What is Input Level or Input Pad for?
Input Level and Input Pad are NOT GAIN controls. They do NOT affect the overall volume level, they have no effect on output clipping or on amp gain. The control only optimizes the signal-to-noise ratio (sensitivity) of the analog-to-digital converters. The adjustment is applied before the A/D converter and is offset by a corresponding but opposite boost at the output of the converter.

"The inputs can handle up to +18dBu. Use the Input Sensitivity controls to adjust accordingly." [36]
Exception: Input Level below 5% on the Axe-Fx, FM9 or FM3 will have an impact on the signal level. Don't set it that low.

Actually, the models do react as the original input of the amp but none of them has an A/D converter to deal with.

Personally I’m with the « auto » mode of the impedance and none of the others guitar needs to be adjusted. This one is something 😅. Even the one with emg sound like single coils after it. The thing is that the pickups are too close from the strings, and even when you screw them at max, they still too close . I have maybe 7/8 others guitars with di marzio’s and don’t have the problem .

When you set a preset with another guitar, a whatever clean metal sound, when you play with this one it sound terrible. At first. Then if you build a preset around this guitar from the beginning this is not a problem, it works
JP’s pickups also hitting the gym to keep up with him. Way too much output from those pups.

Sorry, but I have to join the "my majesty sounds great through my axe" camp as well. ESPECIALLY after I swapped out those damn illuminator pickups! Check that you don't have any fret buzzing going on. I was getting annoyed with my acoustic sim, only to realize the piezo was picking up the fret buzz like mad and giving me crazy overtones.

I got nothing. Mine does too.
Same. Absolutely brilliant, and I find I'm more and more reaching for the Maj7 while the ESPs and Ibanez's take a back seat. I love em all, but I'm not having any issues with switching guitars...the Buz-7 has active FF pups, the others have various passive SD's and DM's. Sometimes a very minor gain tweak is required but it's more about dialing in perfection than correcting an issue.

Thank you for your help, also to @Omri Bazelet and @My name is mud (yeah, pretty much since the first JPs from EBMM they all have been fixed height, direct mounted pickups. I just wanted to get in the ballpark and tweak to taste from there) ✌️
NP. Keep in mind, that bridge dimension is also affected by how high your action is. Mine is set as low as possible, until fret buzz just starts, then I raise the saddle screws ~1/4 turn. It doesn't take much.

Also, that dimension is just eye-balled. I didn't grab my micrometer, but I know what an 1/8" looks like.

I got a couple guitars that simply won't work with the same presets; mainly the EMG 707, anything I dial in with a different guitar will sound great, then I switch to the guitar with the EMG and it just sounds like a pile of gained-out ass.

Exactly why I tend to make different presets for different guitars.

I have a telecaster, an emg equipped Jackson and the 3 different jp models and they all work great with the axefx :)
Sometimes I lower input gain in the amp block to manage the amp's headroom.

Good ti know! Would you mind share the input settings?
I think I may "clipped" input and that's why it sound too much compressed
I own (too many) PRS CE DW 24 guitars, which are really high-output passive pickups. It (they) sound great through my AFXIII.

But it does matter which presets, and in some cases how I tweak them. High-output pickups in particular can create “wooly” tones with the wrong amp or modeler, unless amp/modeler is tweaked to take that into consideration. There are a bajillion presets to walk through, but I’ve found hundreds that I love. I don’t use hundreds of presets, only a few. But still… I have walked through almost the entire preset list, and I keep a separate text file with descriptions of the ones I like — “juicy”, Metal, jangly, etc. I’ve done this with a couple different guitars, in fact — did this with my modern Harmony Jupiter, too. (That Dusty Waring PRS and the Harmony Jupiter are very different pickup-wise.)

Does your Maj have the newer single output jack or the two jacks? are you going through any kind of stereo splitter box etc or just straight from your guitar > Axe 3? long ago i had a JP6 and couldn't figure out why it sounded like the treble was all rolled off/muffled ; nearly like a cocked wah and found it was the impedance being affected by the cable and combining with going through a stereo splitter /ABY pedal

That being said, once i got things figured out even with my JP15. It just sounded different on many presets. I'd go to my beloved Marshall like presets and it wouldn't respond as well as my other guitars. But like it was mentioned , if you design a preset suited for the guitar it was. much better. It still didn't play as nicely with Marshall esque amps but loved the Mesa style. Go figure. I mean its a prog metal guitar. It's a beast. I have mixed feelings about the JP line.

After a quick research I saw that you cannot adjust the pickup height in majesty’s, so it act like the jp… you have a ultra minimal set up choice. The pickups mount directly to the body with no mechanism for height adjustment

I need to see one day if there is a rubber under the pickup that can be cut. But yeah they are fit like that …

For the rest, the pickup adjustment is something that need to be set differently for every guitar player, there is no global rule. Depends of the attack, the pick, if the action is low of not
Different model, but the LIII has no plastic washers under the neck pickup, but very thin ones under the bridge, about 1,5 mm if I remember correctly.

I got nothing. Mine does too.
Same here.
But do you play with others guitars ?
I do, usually swapping between a PRS CU24 with HFS in the bridge and stock Majesty 7 with the DiMarzio Illuminator. The differences in tone when changing guitars using my FM9 seem comparable to changing guitars using a real amp, like my BE-100. Although, I'm sure your ears are better than mine and may be noticing something I am missing.

Back
Top Bottom