More PRS models…💯

Apologies to OP for being out of topic. But does other Lp copies like Edwards and Tokai ,to name a few, suffer from the same issue as Gibson headstock breaking off?
No apologies needed. It’s a good question. Until @Andy Eagle showed those cross sections I never realized how bad that area really is and only ever saw the consequences.

Couple notes.

-The NF are 5 conductors so you can do a lot of customization.
-uses a 5 way super switch (assumed but confirmed)
-the “push pull hi cut” is a cap and resistor to somewhat. Haven’t checked values. It’s also incredibly subtle for anything but a very high gain sound.
-very full neck. Wider than a SS but similar thickness.
-doesn’t sound like a telecaster. But does have spank but that’s more because of the narrowfields I’d say than a brass saddle.
-Neck NF is like if a Strat neck had ass. Could be good for you. Could be bad. Not super glassy or deep.
-split coil sounds are great but I may rewire it to the way I prefer a 5 way 2 hum to be.
-grain of the ash can be seen through the paint

Attachments

• 70924013590__8081186D-118F-440D-9A76-B5C05E0739AA.jpeg
    70924013590__8081186D-118F-440D-9A76-B5C05E0739AA.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 17
Couple notes.

Good to know. Was trying to get through 2023 without any NGDs. This info is going to make that more difficult....

-Neck NF is like if a Strat neck had ass. Could be good for you. Could be bad. Not super glassy or deep.

Sounds like fun. With the 5 wires, parallel is an option that would change up the neck pickup for less bottom and output....

-split coil sounds are great but I may rewire it to the way I prefer a 5 way 2 hum to be.
I tend to like a 5 way with series and 1/2-OOP in the notch positions. 1/2-OOP can work for some of the stuff middle+bridge on a Strat does to give a slightly different flavor....

Good to know. Was trying to get through 2023 without any NGDs. This info is going to make that more difficult....

Sounds like fun. With the 5 wires, parallel is an option that would change up the neck pickup for less bottom and output....

I tend to like a 5 way with series and 1/2-OOP in the notch positions. 1/2-OOP can work for some of the stuff middle+bridge on a Strat does to give a slightly different flavor....
I always preferred to have a coil tap bridge with resistor on a push pull. Then I have a few more options.
1. Bridge
2. Bridge and neck inner Coil
3. Both hum
4. Neck outer coil
5. Neck hum

That way I get 3 extra sounds from a push pull and I get a single coil neck. Requires a 5 way super switch so it’s all there, but I’m running the stock way for now. Only thing I’ve planned to do is replace the treble bleed because I prefer a parallel cap and resistor vs the low cap PRS always uses.

I always preferred to have a coil tap bridge with resistor on a push pull. Then I have a few more options.
1. Bridge
2. Bridge and neck inner Coil
3. Both hum
4. Neck outer coil
5. Neck hum

That way I get 3 extra sounds from a push pull and I get a single coil neck. Requires a 5 way super switch so it’s all there, but I’m running the stock way for now. Only thing I’ve planned to do is replace the treble bleed because I prefer a parallel cap and resistor vs the low cap PRS always uses.
That's a nice set of choices.

I updated my Violet Custom 24 so the neck(split) + bridge(HB) position now gives outside coils. Absolutely amazing improvement!

I wonder how much diff inside coil vs. outside coil makes on narrow field pickups, tho. They are so skinny, it's probably not a huge change. Lower output pickups like Tele singles do nicely with the series linkage, tho, so that and 1/2-OOP will go in mine when I probably eventually get an RF53, rather than a riff on the CU24 setup....

My red Fender Tele has a SD Jazz neck pickup, and the original Twisted Tele (sounds a bit Strat-y) in the middle, so the notches have 1/2-OOP and Middle+Bridge instead....

Couple notes.

-the “push pull hi cut” is a cap and resistor to somewhat. Haven’t checked values. It’s also incredibly subtle for anything but a very high gain sound.
-doesn’t sound like a telecaster. But does have spank but that’s more because of the narrowfields I’d say than a brass saddle.
I just realized this is the guitar you ordered. Congrats!! I forgot you were waiting for it. Thanks for the specs.

Couple notes.

In general what do you think? Priced well for the value, nicer than just buying a Tele and modding it, etc?

In general what do you think? Priced well for the value, nicer than just buying a Tele and modding it, etc?
Priced about what you’d get for a PRS for these features. Core models are 5 grand and if you don’t think those are worth the cash, you’d think the same of this.

I wouldn’t really compare it to a telecaster unless you put like a JB jr and a Lil59 in. If you like fenders, this won’t sway you to PRS. But if you like PRS, it’ll feel like home but give you a new approach to sounds.

Overall I’m happy with it. I think the Myles model definitely is more toward the people who want a little more omph in their sound while the NF53 might be closer to comparing to a Fender ultra tele or something.

That's a nice set of choices.

I updated my Violet Custom 24 so the neck(split) + bridge(HB) position now gives outside coils. Absolutely amazing improvement!

I wonder how much diff inside coil vs. outside coil makes on narrow field pickups, tho. They are so skinny, it's probably not a huge change. Lower output pickups like Tele singles do nicely with the series linkage, tho, so that and 1/2-OOP will go in mine when I probably eventually get an RF53, rather than a riff on the CU24 setup....

My red Fender Tele has a SD Jazz neck pickup, and the original Twisted Tele (sounds a bit Strat-y) in the middle, so the notches have 1/2-OOP and Middle+Bridge instead....
You’re correct in that the inside vs outside coil is prob nothing of any sort of importance.

Apologies to OP for being out of topic. But does other Lp copies like Edwards and Tokai ,to name a few, suffer from the same issue as Gibson headstock breaking off?
They often use a modern truss rod with an allen key nut, this requires a far smaller access and is a lot stronger but anything with an authentic vintage rod and no scarf joint is going to be as weak as the Gibson . The insane 17 degree head angle doesn't help and the fact that any Gibson falling flat on it's back will hit the head first due to the geometry.

Back
Top Bottom