Monitors

Tompski

Hi everyone!

I have been using a pair of Tapco S5 monitors I got given 3 years ago, I’ve been using them with my HX Stomp and now with my FM9 as general studio monitors.
I know they do the job and at the time of their release would have been considered good monitors.
Has speaker technology changed much since their release? I’m just so impressed with my FM9T that I want to make sure I’m doing it justice tonally, I’m probably not wanting to spend over a grand on new monitors, hopefully less, but is it worth it? For example would some second hand Adam’s speakers be a tangible upgrade from my Tapcos? What are you all using?
Alternatively do the speakers that G66 sell double up for live use and also general home recording monitors?

Hi everyone!

I have been using a pair of Tapco S5 monitors I got given 3 years ago, I’ve been using them with my HX Stomp and now with my FM9 as general studio monitors.
I know they do the job and at the time of their release would have been considered good monitors.
Has speaker technology changed much since their release? I’m just so impressed with my FM9T that I want to make sure I’m doing it justice tonally, I’m probably not wanting to spend over a grand on new monitors, hopefully less, but is it worth it? For example would some second hand Adam’s speakers be a tangible upgrade from my Tapcos? What are you all using?
Alternatively do the speakers that G66 sell double up for live use and also general home recording monitors?
Hi.
If you are referring to the Ellis 8's or MF-10's from G66 you are going to a slightly different place with FRFR speakers. For me I think they are excellent. I still have Presonus and Adam A7X's monitors but now just use a pair of MF-10's and the whole experience is MUCH improved. The pair of 10's shift some serious air and are well up to live work. I guess even though they are flat (FRFR) they still add some character but, for example, you can really feel "pick attack" - in a good way. If you can find the money I could not recommend them enough but it's a different thing - for me a better thing at that.

Hi.
If you are referring to the Ellis 8's or MF-10's from G66 you are going to a slightly different place with FRFR speakers. For me I think they are excellent. I still have Presonus and Adam A7X's monitors but now just use a pair of MF-10's and the whole experience is MUCH improved. The pair of 10's shift some serious air and are well up to live work. I guess even though they are flat (FRFR) they still add some character but, for example, you can really feel "pick attack" - in a good way. If you can find the money I could not recommend them enough but it's a different thing - for me a better thing at that.
Interesting!
So you’re happy using those for all other audio in a home studio set up?

Interesting!
So you’re happy using those for all other audio in a home studio set up?
No (in a word!). Not saying they couldn't handle it, might even sound nicer, but I would stick with my AX7s for keys etc.
FRFR is a thing in itself and should in theory be flat as a good monitor but sounds more like a guitar cab - it's a well trodden path here - have a look what others say because personal preference is all. :)
Hope that helps.

Used ADAM A7X would likely offer a noticeable improvement in clarity and detail over what you've got. The X-art tweeter is very good at reproducing distorted guitar tones.

My son has rightly pointed out that I record in my Shed/cabin so I need smaller speakers, like the Adam’s A5X or suggested Genelec 8030 CPM, too much power will rattle the space. My Tapco S5’s are small. Any experience?

My son has rightly pointed out that I record in my Shed/cabin so I need smaller speakers, like the Adam’s A5X or suggested Genelec 8030 CPM, too much power will rattle the space. My Tapco S5’s are small. Any experience?
Only heard good things re Genelecs but no personal experience.
BUT if you are in a shed with MF-10s you will quickly end up needing a new shed and probably some new ears too. :D

Do you have acoustic treatment in your shed/cabin? Assuming your goal is accuracy, correct speaker placement and adding acoustic treatment will make a much bigger difference than new speakers.

it’s a cabin/ shed, I fix and service guitars for a living, so recording is hobbyist at best, the space is primarily my workshop, then in my free time playing and recording, so no room for acoustic treatment, I just want very good tone quality.

Hi everyone!

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/adam-audio-a5x-or-yamaha-hs5.187895/#post-2329627

I have the ADAM A5X and they are very good. They can't get super loud (not what they're for anyhow), but the detail and clarity they offer are nice. The low end is a little anemic, but that is to be expected (and even desirable) from a 5 inch monitor. They should be well suited to a smaller space.

Are you any of you familiar with the Tapco S5s I’m using? I’m presuming even the A5X would be a big upgrade?

I have a pair of Kali Audio IN8s. They sound really good at $400/each. I have read great things about their LP-8 speakers. Both are 8" speakers, so may be too much for your space. They also have smaller models. Here is a link to their site with a variety of reviews. They're worth taking a look at - good value, good sound.

https://www.kaliaudio.com/reviews

I have Adam A5X more than 10 years, very good quality and sound. If A4V model is same quality and sounding
then it is good choice (I don't have experience about A4V model). A4V monitors are just little bit smaller.. so
they are nearly same size than A5X.

This room that I use A5X is 21,25 square meter and kitchen is next room. A5X model is enough and works fine in this size
room. Backside of A4V also have those controls that you can adjust sound which suits your room / workspace the way you like.

1692609465482.png

That tweeter is good to have same "altitude" than your ears (that's how I read from directions etc. tips).
I think A4V model is good choice. (this is only my opinion of course)

Below few pictures how I have those A5X monitors in my workspace:

MusicCornerPappa.jpg

1692609985241.png
1692611597660.png

Amazing thanks!

Nice paintings, and I think that Leffe might be essential to your tone! Don’t know if we get Ruby here in the UK, I’ll have to go hunting,
I’m gravitating towards those A4Vs.

There's a big difference between live sound speakers and studio speakers. It's very hard to use live sound monitors in something like a shed and have them not sound terrible, IME. They're really not made for that.

The tapco s5s are basic/budget nearfield monitors not much unlike so many others. Tapco was started by the same guy as Mackie, and neither honestly has a great reputation. But...I haven't heard those specific speakers.

You could do better with speakers of a similar size for under a grand. There are other thins (getting the placement exactly right, treating the room, etc.) that will make a bigger difference in the grand scheme of things. But...getting all the other things right can also "expose flaws" in your speakers. It's a bit of give & take, and how far you even want to go down the rabbit hole depends on what your goals are and what your long-term budget will allow.

I still think that in this price range, the JBL LSRs are at least among the best available, depending on exactly what you want. There's always going to be a compromise at that price level.

The Adam A5X (best Adams you can get for a grand) have an issue caused by the port design (a dip around 1k) that I don't like...but so do the 308P a bit higher (the 308's dip seems to be a flaw in the crossover design). Both are pretty good for a grand, though, and give decent bass response (the JBLs go lower). Neither is a serious issue for guitar. Neither is really a serious issue for mixing either....though there are better speakers available and reasons to splash out for them if/when you can and/or want to.

Other than low bass, the Genelec 8010A are very good for the money (and a little under your budget for a pair). They start falling off quickly at around 70Hz, which is fine for guitar....but IMHO too high for general music listening without a subwoofer that you set up right (which usually means that you need room treatment and 2 of them...which will destroy your budget).

I'm not aware of too many others under a grand for the pair that I actually like.

The bass extension and generally accurate sound is why I like the JBL 308s in that price range, but they do have their flaws.

Sadly....the only good way I've found to shop for speakers is to buy them, plan on returning them, and set them up, get used to them, listen, and work....and do that a handful of times until you figure out what you're happy with. It's not a quick process.

There's a big difference between live sound speakers and studio speakers. It's very hard to use live sound monitors in something like a shed and have them not sound terrible, IME. They're really not made for that.
^This^

Live sound speakers are made to be listened to at greater distances and higher volumes than the average studio speakers.

^This^

Live sound speakers are made to be listened to at greater distances and higher volumes than the average studio speakers.
Noted!
I think even the Eli’s 8s might pull my shed down. Thanks for all the advice people!
I get home from holiday tomorrow, I’ll post pics and dimensions of my workshop.

I second the support of Adam Audio. While I haven't spent a ton of time comparing monitors, I have listened to a decent variety in stores and I have spent quite a bit of time analyzing / mixing sound, and they've been the best I've heard other than spending significantly more money for focal stuff.

In terms of size / "rattling the room," you can always just keep the volume down. Size just controls how low the speakers can go and how hard to have to push them to get there. For general listening, I personally wouldn't go below 7". You can always turn them down or even eq them if there's too much low end for you.

Try the T7Vs + a studio subwoofer (perhaps the T10S, though it's specs are a little rough) and I think it will be a significant upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom