Monitor Choices

Akstrat

Experienced
Since I might be waiting a bit for my unit, I thought I might use a bit of my gear stash to buy a monitor. I currently own two QSC K12's now and had thought of using them with the AX8. I play mostly live or band practice situations, no recording.

I have read a lot about the Friedman ASM12 and the Atomic CLR Neo as options. I have also heard mention of RCF?? Not sure I can afford the RCF. I like the wedges for live use.

I can only afford one of the Atomic or Friedman speakers. Will there be a big difference in the Friedman/Atomic over the QSC's? Or should I just hang with the QSC's? Much appreciated in advance!!

I personally prefer the Atomic CLR over the QSC K12 / K10.

I have been gigging with the CLR since they were first released to market. They give big boy performance without a the big boy price tag.

I immediately heard the difference between a prosumer powered speaker and the CLR. The critical midrange has great clarity. That gives a very amp like experience.

I have (2) of the Friedman's...... love them BUT I will be doing some custom work on them.... they are a pain in the butt to gig with... the Handles are in an weird place and they are heavy!!!!

but dang they sound and look amazing!!

I have a K10, and while it has been great for vocals, it's not as good as the other options for the AxeFx. For rehearsal and live with my XL I had been using my RCF or Xitone reliably for quite some time. Recently, I picked up a Power Engine, and it's been great, especially when I want to place it as a more traditional backline (it also has a nice price-point). Now I'm using the AX8 with the PE, and it sounds fantastic. It's a quick (and light) 'grab-and-go' rig for rehearsal and live. Liking it a lot!

I have the RSC NX12SMA, awesome speaker. Contact mike@audiopyle.com if you're interested in one, best prices and customer service on RCF products. You're right on price, a touch higher than the basic CLR active, and a few hundred under the Neo version. I am still very happy with mine after gigging it a few years. Some respected players here have swapped to the CLR, so I assume it to sound great, but I have never seen a point in moving away from the RCF.

OK let me be the first to say you can use your K12. Back in the Axe Fx Ultra days before there was Matrix, Xitone (both of these two are in your pricing range as well) CLR, RCF and Friedman the K12 was one of the top choices around here. There are still many guys using them with their ii, XL, XL+ rigs. It is not a any of the brands I just mentioned but it will work. During the ultra era that was the speaker I had. It served me well and I got many compliments about tone during that time. During my ii/XL time (which is still going) I have used a k12 a few times and once again got compliments on my tone. I graduated to an RCF (Great speaker) then moved to CLR. CLR had a thing or two that I wanted to try. None of which had to do with the RCF not sounding good. I sold my CLR for personal reasons. Tried some other stuff that worked ok and ended back at a CLR.

As already stated above Mike Pyle will get you an RCF in the pricing range of a non neo CLR. I hear Sweetwater can get you a Friedman for like 750. I believe that makes it the cheapest option. My advise is keep k12 until you are sure it won't work for you then move on if you have too

I'll be using a CLR "neo" once my AX8 is in.

After much reading I ordered it. It seemed to be the right size and weight. I'm scaling down from a huge duel head, 2- 4x12 rig.

The CLR and AX8 to FOH will be a new experience for me. I also wear in-ears.

Btw, what about cheaper options - under 400 bucks or so? Anyone has some experience?
I have an Alto TS112A and a CLR.
I used the Alto for a year before upgrading to the CLR.
CLR is better and my go to box for gigs, but the Alto is surprisingly good and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again if my CLR was down for some reason.
You can find the Alesis version of these for $200 on eBay.

I use a k10 wedge for live gigging. Serves me well, sounds pretty good. There are more boutique options but for the price point and weight the k10 can't be beat.

I have an Alto TS112A and a CLR.
I used the Alto for a year before upgrading to the CLR.
CLR is better and my go to box for gigs, but the Alto is surprisingly good and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again if my CLR was down for some reason.
You can find the Alesis version of these for $200 on eBay.
Ev ZLX 12 is a great box at that price point. Cheap than the ev the alto is the way to go

If you can wait, Matrix is evidently coming out with a powered, lightweight 10" FR cab (was supposed to be released this month, but you know how that goes...). There are a couple of videos on their FB site.

I've gigged on a few Martin systems now...
I'd be reluctant to drop that $ if your personal monitor outperformed the rest of your PA. :)

Just what I've been thinking, above. (I'm going from guitar amp/cab to FRFR or PA monitors/backline).

Why sound better than what the audience is hearing? Sure, I love the best sound but not sure it will do justice.

I'm wondering if I should look at investing in an FR monitor to go with the ax8. Right now I'm running my pod through a 112 with a jet city speaker using an old rocktron velocity power amp. Other option I have on hand is a set of equator audio d5's, but I don't enjoy those as much as I do the cab.

Keeping in mind I only play for my own enjoyment, although I do try ahs write/record. So I think the only reasons I would have are if the ax8 just doesn't sound good through the cab setup, or if I really want the convenience of getting a more accurate representation in the room of what I'll hear recorded.

I'm thinking though that it'll sound great for bedroom jamming through the cab and I can send the second output to the monitors for when I want to tweak for recording. My biggest gripe with that particular scenario using the pod is that I can't just leave both hooked up and easily switch between them...I dunno.

Back
Top Bottom