Modellers - Best FRFR System

You can't judge FRFR by watching a video...

Everything you hear in such a video is colored by whatever you're hearing that audio with ;)
Also because it's just hard to capture the sound of a room (though binaural mics can make insanely creepy recordings).

To the OP...you just have to try stuff and see what works for you.

Also, where is this for? Stage? Studio? Home? Garage? They very well might need different systems.

Hey guys more updates! Yamaha DXR10 are apparently a favourite in the Kemper community and they sound great!

I youtube a few videos and the Yamaha DXR10 really stands out above the Atomic CLR and the Friedman ASM-12

I've also had some recommendations for the JBL EON and I want to look at one that spoke to my intuitive heart the JBL SRX812P.

What do y'all think of QSC K12.2...I'm doing my homework on them now, from what I've seen so far they are DEFINATELY a match for the fabled Yamaha DXRs

To be continued...
You maybe not want to hear that but again, you can’t choose or buy a speaker on its specs or YouTube and/or forum recommendations ä, you have to try and hear them with your gear.
And you have to consider that the sound of an FRFR Speaker is very hard to capture on a video because you are hearing the sound of a amp, microphone and cab simulation, again captured with a second microphone and played through your smartphone, PC, Headphone etc.

Last edited:
For future reference to others who start on the FRFR quest

I've ruled out the Yamaha DX12 and the QSC K12.2 because they don't have a wooden casing which I personally prefer the tone of when gigging/practicing.

I've learned that the early EVs had a problem at low volumes with the base notes distorting as they cut off, but apparently that was a long time ago and it's all fixed...the Xitones are VERY decent defo worth trying but it's generally considered that they are slightly voiced to sound a bit more like a cab (much like the Friedman ASM-12s) and a lot of people who've had the RCF NX12-SMAs have upgraded to Atomic CLRs because it was worth it........funny thing is the RCFs cost like £350 MORE than the Atomics do nowdays.

It is for that reason that I'm going to try the Atomic CLRs first....then the RCFs (because a few people say they have a better tone) and probably the Xitones, but I will give the EVs a miss!

Depends a bit if you play at home or if you plan to play at loud volumes on stage. For the latter, I baught the Matrix FR12 because it was among the winners in a shootout at the German Axe-Fest some years ago. Its a rocket and versatile for many different styles, from Blues, Funk, Rock, Indie to Metal. The RCF would be my second choice, but they are much more expensive.

One Matrix FR12 is enough - and they are even quite lightweight.

I've ruled out the Yamaha DX12 and the QSC K12.2 because they don't have a wooden casing which I personally prefer the tone of when gigging/practicing.

I've learned that the early EVs had a problem at low volumes with the base notes distorting as they cut off, but apparently that was a long time ago and it's all fixed...the Xitones are VERY decent defo worth trying but it's generally considered that they are slightly voiced to sound a bit more like a cab (much like the Friedman ASM-12s) and a lot of people who've had the RCF NX12-SMAs have upgraded to Atomic CLRs because it was worth it........funny thing is the RCFs cost like £350 MORE than the Atomics do nowdays.

It is for that reason that I'm going to try the Atomic CLRs first....then the RCFs (because a few people say they have a better tone) and probably the Xitones, but I will give the EVs a miss!
Can you actually get a CLR?
My impression was that some people have been waiting many months, and still don't have one.
Anyway, good luck, and have fun.

You've talked about a couple of different EV's. You may want to make sure you're trying the ones that people have recommended, the PXM-12SMP. Good luck in your long-awaited quest.

The bit in bold is actually incorrect logic.. That tone of a guitar cab that is made of pristine birch ply that you (not unreasonably) prefer is already baked into the IR..

So, if that cab is the sound/tone you want then you would therefore reasonably want an FRFR that was as true as possible to the source material, and this usually won't be happening with a plywood based enclosure.

I have two CLRs and I’m happy with them, but concerned about their longevity. The Red Sounds are very attractive but pretty expensive ($1200+ each for the 10s).

The bit in bold is actually incorrect logic.. That tone of a guitar cab that is made of pristine birch ply that you (not unreasonably) prefer is already baked into the IR..

So, if that cab is the sound/tone you want then you would therefore reasonably want an FRFR that was as true as possible to the source material, and this usually won't be happening with a plywood based enclosure.
OIC, yea I was only ruling them out because people said at loud volumes you can hear the plastic vibrating whereas you didn't get this problem with the wood!

Back
Top Bottom