Mission Pedals or Boss FV-500L ...??

Understandably, this isn't a scientific poll but it sure is telling when a generic expression pedal seemingly beats out one that was, as I understand, first created to meet the needs of Axe-Fx users. I wonder what the folks at Mission will do to their product line in response, if anything?

I felt the Missions were rather expensive for what they are, especially here in the UK. I bought two Boss Fv 500H pedals. If the're good nough for Steve Vai they are good enough for me! Couldn't be happier. They are smooth, robust and match the MFC for form factor. I'm getting a third!

I replaced 2 pedals (Ernie Ball and M-Audio) with one Mission SP-2, and it works very well. The pedal is very strong, although it looks small by comparison (which is a plus for me). I have not used the Boss pedal, but it is universally praised here. If size is no concern in your application, either would be great. If you are a little cramped, go Mission. Both are reputed to be very reliable.

Have used both, prefer Boss. More precise action, longer sweep, better for volume swells or subtle adjustments. Mission is more of a wah pedal as opposed to Boss which is a general expression pedal.

^^^This. I use my Mission SP-1 to get the feel of the Crybaby that it replaced, which is it does beautifully; it just feels right in that regard. For swells/fx control, etc. the Boss is probably the way to go.

Mission for me. I have 2 ep and 1 sp. I to like the more compact design and solid construction. They do the job for me. Plus they offer multiple options and colors.

With the Boss, can anyone say why one would choose the L over the H or the H over the L?
Thanks

as an expression pedal alone it makes no difference

however, if you thought that you'd ever need this pedal to be disconnected from the MFC to perform as a volume pedal for some other task then:

- L is for low impedance
this means that it can be to a keyboard or at the end [or in the middle] of a chain of stomps
guitar -> stomps -> 500L -> amp / Axe

- H is for high impedance
this means the guitar can jack straight into the pedal
guitar -> 500H -> stomps / Axe / Amp

I chose the 500H so that I may use it with a guitar if need be

I also use one of each and prefer the Boss. The Mission loses it's tension and gets flimsy after a while and I have to tighten it. I could live with two of either but would pick the Boss because it feels more solid under foot.

How is the FV500 for wah? Since my MFC-101 has just been ordered, I'm looking for a good pedal to replace my Crybaby.

How is the FV500 for wah? Since my MFC-101 has just been ordered, I'm looking for a good pedal to replace my Crybaby.

These were my comments for the FV500 for wah...

What I do is either create a patch with the wah either engaged or not, depending if I want the wah engaged right at the start of a patch change. This means sometimes having two presets next to one another, one without the wah engaged, and the next with it engaged from the start. Then at any point if I want to shut it off, I simply disable the wah with the MFC or change to a different preset. Simple!

I don't like using an expression pedal that has a switch because I'm always afraid of pushing too hard and engaging the switch by accident. Using a pedal like the BOSS which has no switch allows me to go crazy with expression without the possibility of accidentally shutting the effect off. I just use the MFC for that.

I find it works very well. Nice and smooth travel. The Mission pedal has a jerky type motion to the pot that just doesn't work for me. I'm used to optical wahs like the Bad Horsie where the travel is nice and even.

Does anyone know of a mod to the Boss pedal that adds spring loading? I recently tried a friend's Bad Horsie Wah and really liked the feel of the spring loading. It would be great to have that as an add-on to the Boss FV500.

Certainly looks like the Boss wins. I have two Mission EP's and don't like them at all. My complaint is with the crappy allen screw to tension the pedal. Just a bad design. Both of my Missions have the same problem. Keeping track of the allen wrench is a drag. Further, even when mashing the screw to the point of bending the allen screw, after a couple of toe to heel maneuvers, it is loose again. Arrrrrrgh. Very disappointing.

I don't get how you can use those Boss pedals. There are HUGE deadzones at both ends of the sweep. EB and Mission all the way for me please ;)

Reactions: npx
I don't get how you can use those Boss pedals. There are HUGE deadzones at both ends of the sweep. EB and Mission all the way for me please ;)

Yeah, I noticed this problem as well when I bought my FV 500H. I was a bit disappointed with it but then decided to just modify it by adding some layers of stiff cardboard under the pedal front and rear. The sweep is now a bit shorter, but is actually ideal for wah or wammy and the feel is still super-smooth. Took ten minutes and now it's perfect. I don't know if this problem always occurs though, or if mine was just made on a Monday morning? I'm thinking of getting a second one, so I guess we'll see...

I have 2 fv500Ls - Nice big foot area, long travel, no fuss calibration, feels good to use, no springs which I don't like, no toe switch which I don't like and don't need with Axefx auto engage.

I just got my Mission recently, so can't say how reliable it will be, but I really like the feel of it especially for wah use, i've used the Rolands and they're excellent too especially for controlling volume, but I'd need 2 Roland pedals to do what I'm doing with just one Mission pedal, needed to keep my pedalboard small.

I've got a Mission SP-1, and I like it pretty well. Right now I do well with one pedal, as my Liquid Foot lets me setup a button to change what a single pedal is controlling between 4 items on the fly. But I'll probably still add a second so I have two controls ready to go at any time. The Mission is fantastic for Wah. It works pretty well for volume too, once you tighten it down enough to stay put when you release it. I've heard some say they can't get it tight enough for that, or that it loses its grip over time. I've only had mine a couple weeks, so I can't say.

I lean towards Boss for my second pedal. I do make a lot of use of volume pedals -- usually as a master volume control at the end of my chain, as I play at church without going through the PA (due to its limitations there), so I have to watch volume carefully. The Mission works OK for that, but I think the Boss may work better. But I do like the feel of the Mission for wah. Other expression controls, I'm not sure yet. But having one of each (along with the LF's ability to use a button to switch what they do) should give me the best of both worlds. I'll be very interested to see over time if I gravitate to one over the other to the point where I'd want both pedals to be either the Boss or Mission. But having both seems appealing.

Back
Top Bottom