Mike Varney's Shrapnel Records

Ben Randolph

Power User
Does anyone know if Shrapnel Records is still a functioning entity? During their 80's heyday they featured so many incredible players. I'm learning Vinnie Moore's Morning Star right now. So many great techniques I'm learning just deconstructing this song.

Shrapnel has a website, but it is super dated and looks like it was created around the turn of the century.

They have a Facebook page, but the last post was in 2011.

They look to have signed no new artists since the 90s. Some of the featured artists are dead.

This doesn't look like a company still in operation. I did read where their catalog was bought by Sony in 2015.

Did Shrapnel Records fold?

No clue if they still function but whoa that was a wave of nostalgia this post washed over me. That monthly sampler that would show up on the countertop of my local mom and pop music store was my lifeline to the world of instrumental rock guitar in the early 90s.

Maybe @Brett Garsed knows? He was on Shrapnel.

Got to meet Mike Varney at Paul Gilbert's guitar camp recently. Don't know about shrapnel, but Mike is still kicking.

I used to love Mike Varney's column in Guitar Player.
He used to do a player of the month article. Guitar players would submit cassetts & Mike would pick one to feature.
Jennifer Batten was featured one month. It said that she was playing in a band from South Dakota.
She really looked different compared to her MJ days.

I think he featured 3 different players each month.

GuitarPlayerSpotlight1983.jpg

Back
Top Bottom