MIJ EVH Wolfgang

Thanks! Just wondering also, the MIM models? Are they the lower priced ones, or are the ones below $1k made in Asia?
Also, I love the guitar in your profile image. Mostly I am in my ongoing search for a LP type guitar, and a semi-hollow, but the EVH guitars look nice and interesting also.
Hi. The MIM Wolfgangs tend to be the Specials and IMO great value and other than the nickel frets and slightly inferior build (arguably insignificant) they are great guitars too. I have no experience of the Indonesian ones (Standards) but some great colours schemes!
I had 2 MIM's. I now have 2 USA's but I'd have bought MIJ if they had been available because I strongly suspect build and QC will be better on the MIJ. They are all super-playable guitars - if you can afford an MIJ that'd be favourite for me.

My profile picture? - a Gibson ES-295 in memoriam to my lifelong favourite guitarist who died very recently. Geordie from Killing Joke - a unique player, hugely missed, and that was his instrument - not an easy guitar to play (compared to say a Wolfgang) and I wouldn't know where to start! :)

The budget standard is good apart from the Floyd Special. This unit has zinc saddles which are not up to the job, they will fail. The cheapest fix for it is a set of stainless saddles usually available on eBay for around $50.
255143992887 These are actually very good.

Hi. The MIM Wolfgangs tend to be the Specials and IMO great value and other than the nickel frets and slightly inferior build (arguably insignificant) they are great guitars too. I have no experience of the Indonesian ones (Standards) but some great colours schemes!
I had 2 MIM's. I now have 2 USA's but I'd have bought MIJ if they had been available because I strongly suspect build and QC will be better on the MIJ. They are all super-playable guitars - if you can afford an MIJ that'd be favourite for me.

My profile picture? - a Gibson ES-295 in memoriam to my lifelong favourite guitarist who died very recently. Geordie from Killing Joke - a unique player, hugely missed, and that was his instrument - not an easy guitar to play (compared to say a Wolfgang) and I wouldn't know where to start! :)
I will research further on the EVH's, they MIJ do look really nice!
Never heard of Killing Joke, but they look to be a band I would like. I will listen to them this morning during my morning coffee. Sorry to hear about Geordie, I will look into him further also.
A while back the guitarist from the Alan Parsons Project, Ian Bairnston died. I hadn't heard of him and went back to my old Alan Parson stuff and really appreciate him. RIP to him and Geordie!

I will research further on the EVH's, they MIJ do look really nice!
Never heard of Killing Joke, but they look to be a band I would like. I will listen to them this morning during my morning coffee. Sorry to hear about Geordie, I will look into him further also.
A while back the guitarist from the Alan Parsons Project, Ian Bairnston died. I hadn't heard of him and went back to my old Alan Parson stuff and really appreciate him. RIP to him and Geordie!
"Never heard of Killing Joke, but they look to be a band I would like. I will listen to...." brace yourself, not for the faint-hearted! :D
(hope you like them - huge back catalogue that never gets old 👍)

"Never heard of Killing Joke, but they look to be a band I would like. I will listen to...." brace yourself, not for the faint-hearted! :D
(hope you like them - huge back catalogue that never gets old 👍)
I appreciate all music that is made for the love of music, that musicians create becuase they have it in them and need to get it out. I hate music made by people just to make money. My music tastes include: Rock, Americana, Country, Hip-Hop, Classical, Opera,... Not a big fan of Metal or Pop.
WIki says Killing Joke influenced Nirvana. Nirvana was also influenced by the Pixies. I am a big Nirvana and Pixies fan.

I appreciate all music that is made for the love of music, that musicians create becuase they have it in them and need to get it out. I hate music made by people just to make money. My music tastes include: Rock, Americana, Country, Hip-Hop, Classical, Opera,... Not a big fan of Metal or Pop.
WIki says Killing Joke influenced Nirvana. Nirvana was also influenced by the Pixies. I am a big Nirvana and Pixies fan.
KJ should be good for you then. Hugely influential, never did anything lead by finances and known in the music press as "difficult bastards" ( 🤣 ) as they tended not to court publicity so well but their music output quite unique but hey, find out for yourself :)

The budget standard is good apart from the Floyd Special. This unit has zinc saddles which are not up to the job, they will fail. The cheapest fix for it is a set of stainless saddles usually available on eBay for around $50.
255143992887 These are actually very good.
Do the MIM Specials have the same zinc saddle?

KJ should be good for you then. Hugely influential, never did anything lead by finances and known in the music press as "difficult bastards" ( 🤣 ) as they tended not to court publicity so well but their music output quite unique but hey, find out for yourself :)
So far I really like the guitar on the song Requiem. It all sounds good to me, and I am reading about his technique, sounds interesting also. Also, Wardance! Really nice tone on that one. One more, love how I didn't know Change was the influence for the LCD cut Losing My Edge. Thanks for mentioning Killing Joke, has made for fun reading and listening.

Last edited:
i have 2 Peavey MIA Standards. my understanding is the Standards were a step down from the Custom shop but better than the Deluxe line. My first, bought in '98 new, has the amber striated maple. absolutely gorgeous finish w the patent pending insignia on the head stock. my second, a '99, i bought used about 8yrs ago. tobacco sunburst. roadtripped 700mi RT to get it.

i wonder if it's time for a fret job on #1. the jumbo stainless sound interesting. just scared shitless a fret job will ruin its playability.

both sound fantastic. i split the pickups on both for wider tonal variations (playing in a cover band). ...if there was a house fire, after the dog was out, these would be among the first things id grab.

ive always eyed a stealth. mij has peaked my interest!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom