MIDI issues: Fractal latency & issues?

Well I thought it was 100%. Seemed to be, then it started getting weird and going closer to 50-75% .
I unplugged from the cpu interface hoping that might help. Not sure. It's kind of crazy, just when I think it's totally horrible, it starts working again for like 10+ clicks in a row. I think if I slow down and not click as fast I increase my odds of success (not sure if there's any super quick scene taps needed in my band setlist yet). Not sure if that is a coincidence or effective though. Sometimes there's a long pause between clicks and there's no change.

It's less than 100%, which is not going to work. Nothing worse than thinking you're going to play a clean part and hi gain screetches out at you or vice versa

Ugggh
ok well there's progress being made at least. the main change is that there isn't tons of midi data being sent out of the FX8 anymore (it used to send out SysEx commands). many amps couldn't handle that much midi data.

when i connect to my MIDI monitor program, i only get the single PC or CC message that i program... if any. are you sure that you are only sending the exact signal you want? you can set the PC and CC both to OFF instead of a numbered value in the CFG page per Scene.

if you can upload a preset so i can look at how you are using MIDI, i can make some suggestions. you can upload it here to my dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/request/k1KMjyGjbYUSEF24pskj

Yes, it has improved but still not reliable.
I contacted P Diezel and asked if there was an upgraded midi chip that I needed to get. He replied that the DMolls already have the latest chips. I have seen in the past that he has sent out chips for his other amps and his customer service is excellent.

I have just uploaded to your dropbox the only preset I have been using; it's called Closing Walls

I kept the Scene channel on 1 for all 8 scenes
You could see that
scene 5: PC1 (this is for ch1 clean on DMoll)
scene 6: PC2 (this is for ch2 mid gain con DMoll)
scene 1: PC3 (this is for ch3 hi gain on DMoll)

The others are also programmed, but just using these 3 basic changes presents the issues I've had
I have CC turned off for all scenes

Thank you so much for any insight/help!

is your Diezel head set to OMNI for the MIDI channel? or is it set to a specific channel?

i propose 2 tests:

1) Change the Diezel head from OMNI to Channel 1 specifically. try it.

or

2) Change the FX8 "Scene Channels" as you call them to Channel 2 (could be any channel) and set it up with the Diezel.

i used to own a VH4S and to use its midi, you had to do something like hit SAVE on the VH4 then send the MIDI command to set it. i'll look at the manual later, but does the DMOLL have a similar procedure?

i hope that it's the OMNI issue, as that solves similar issues like this.

1) I don't think or don't know how to change the midi channel on the DMoll. There's a "STORE" toggle. I send the midi channel and hit store and the DMoll syncs it up. I assume it is always set to Omni as it always works regardless on midi channel.

2) Channel 2 performs the same as ch 1 (inconsistent)

Thanks for the ideas though! I have a ticket and a few people trying to trouble shoot it so I have hope

@crankyrayhanky

according to the the DMOLL Manual, it is in OMNI mode by default. i do think this is the issue. From the manual:

7.4.3 Single Channel Mode – Manual Channel Selection

If you would like to have your D-Moll on a certain MIDI channel, then we can accommodate you here as well. Here is how this works:

Push and hold “Mute” and then turn on the preamp channels in the order that corresponds to your midi channel preference. For example: if you want to have your D-Moll to respond only to MIDI information that is being sent on channel 7, then you must hold the “Mute” button down and turn the Preamp channel one selector off, channel two selector on, channel 3 selector on. If you let go of “Mute” now, then your D-Moll is set to respond to MIDI channel 7 only. Get it? The table below gives you the sequence for all 7 MIDI channels.

So try this on your Diezel:

Push and Hold Mute
Turn All 3 Channel selectors OFF. if they are already off, turn them ON then OFF.
Let go of Mute.

This should change your amp to MIDI Channel 1. I would rather try a different random channel like 4 (the Channel Select code is On On Off). But please try Channel 1 first since your FX8 is already setup there. If it doesn't work, please try setting the DMOLL to Channel 4 and changing the Scene Channels to 4 on the FX8 as well.

i really think this is the solution after looking at your preset.

I tried MIDI ch1 and that did not work well.
I then tried MIDI ch 4 and at first I thought that was it- like 10 clicks successful to start it off! But then back to inconsistancy

I do thank you for the help!

just to make sure, i turned on a MIDI Monitor and used the MIDI out of the FX8 to track what's coming out, and it seems to be just the correct PC Values (i hit switches randomly here):

Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 11.56.12 AM.png

every output only appeared as expected when pressing the switches. no double triggers, extra triggers, or anything like that.

assuming your FX8 does the same, i have no idea why your amp would stop responding correctly.

just to make sure, i turned on a MIDI Monitor and used the MIDI out of the FX8 to track what's coming out, and it seems to be just the correct PC Values (i hit switches randomly here):

View attachment 29718

every output only appeared as expected when pressing the switches. no double triggers, extra triggers, or anything like that.

assuming your FX8 does the same, i have no idea why your amp would stop responding correctly.
This is consistent with our testing as well.

Sounds stupid after all the other things tried ... but ... have you tried a different MIDI cable?

Hi, i have a question. You using midi to change amp channel?because im having a hard time to figure out how to switch amp channel using the midi. Due to my amp is using mini din for the footswitch jack. And im a noob, and I don't know to set or understand how the pc1 etc.

And ive reconnect the midi din to a 5 pin midi for the fx8. And still u can't get it work.

Hi, i have a question. You using midi to change amp channel?because im having a hard time to figure out how to switch amp channel using the midi. Due to my amp is using mini din for the footswitch jack. And im a noob, and I don't know to set or understand how the pc1 etc.

And ive reconnect the midi din to a 5 pin midi for the fx8. And still u can't get it work.
What amp?

Bugera 333xl 212.

Ive tried using a stereo jack at the end of the midi din. Still can't get it work too. Or maybe its how i rewire it maybe there's something wrong with how I rewire it.
If amps have a dedicated Footswitch port, that's usually not a standard MIDI jack and won't understand MIDI commands even if you do get a cable to plug in there. After looking at the manual, that amp doesn't have MIDI and it doesn't have Relay switches either.

If amps have a dedicated Footswitch port, that's usually not a standard MIDI jack and won't understand MIDI commands even if you do get a cable to plug in there.
Hmmm. That's what im assuming too. But is there any way i can rewire the din to a stereo jack and use the relay to switch amp channel? Other than using gmajor.

Hmmm. That's what im assuming too. But is there any way i can rewire the din to a stereo jack and use the relay to switch amp channel? Other than using gmajor.

You'd have to contact the amp manufacturer. If specific pins in the DIN plug are using the short-to-sleeve switching method, then you would be able to wire an adapter.

However, many amps with DIN footswitch jacks use control voltage to switch various functions, and you'd be able to tell by looking inside the original footswitch. If it has a PCB and complicated guts, it's probably not doing short-to-sleeve relay switching.

I'd caution against wiring or testing any adapter with the FX8 until you know exactly what each pin of the DIN jack is doing.

You'd have to contact the amp manufacturer. If specific pins in the DIN plug are using the short-to-sleeve switching method, then you would be able to wire an adapter.

However, many amps with DIN footswitch jacks use control voltage to switch various functions, and you'd be able to tell by looking inside the original footswitch. If it has a PCB and complicated guts, it's probably not doing short-to-sleeve relay switching.

I'd caution against wiring or testing any adapter with the FX8 until you know exactly what each pin of the DIN jack is doing.

I know people hate it, but one of the best ways to understand problems is to read the manual. At least once, probably twice if needed.

so to return from that slight thread derail... if multiple FX8 units were confirmed to send only the expected CC# data from the MIDI Out jack, then something is either wrong specifically with your FX8 relating to the MIDI Out, or something is wrong with the amp.

@crankyrayhanky i know you said other midi gear worked with the amp. is there any way that you can use a MIDI Monitor program and see what is coming from your FX8 MIDI port when you change Scenes? if the FX8 is indeed only sending the intended CC#s, then it really can't be the FX8 causing the issue, right?

Back
Top Bottom