MIDI control for lights

codyraptor

Inspired
Is it possible to setup switches for midi triggers? Or..I noticed each scene can send a midi pc...so can the scenes be setup to only activate midi but not effects? Just trying to find a way to trigger out lighting rig through my ax8. Thanks!!

Is it possible to setup switches for midi triggers?

Not possible.

so can the scenes be setup to only activate midi but not effects?

Not really. In theory, you could assign modifiers to the bypass parameter of all blocks in the preset, which would disable scene and footswitch control. You'd then have to use an external MIDI controller to control the bypass states of all effects (thereby defeating the point of your need).

So....one more question around this.....is it possible to simply send 1 midi note to something? For example..I have 45 presets (preset per song)...so when I press up to the next preset...midi note XX is sent. I don't need multiple midi notes..just the ability to send 1 in order to tell Ableton to move to the next song.

If this won't work....then what exactly is the use of having midi on the AX8? This seems like it would be a very basic midi function...just curious.

Thanks!

So....one more question around this.....is it possible to simply send 1 midi note to something? For example..I have 45 presets (preset per song)...so when I press up to the next preset...midi note XX is sent. I don't need multiple midi notes..just the ability to send 1 in order to tell Ableton to move to the next song.

If this won't work....then what exactly is the use of having midi on the AX8? This seems like it would be a very basic midi function...just curious.

Thanks!

You are correct, MIDI note and MIDI CC are basic, and it is somewhat surprising to find that the AX8 doesn't operate as a MIDI controller beyond basic PCs attached to scenes - but it was never promised or marketed as a MIDI controller.

For your scenario, since a computer is already involved, you can use MIDI translator software. On a Mac, there's free software called MidiPipe. It will translate PCs to notes. On Windows, I believe you can use "Bome's Midi Translator".

Note that you will need to use the MIDI output port and a separate MIDI to USB interface or cable, as the AX8 does NOT send MIDI PCs via its USB interface.

If you need other hardware to respond to MIDI notes from the AX8, you could purchase one of these: http://www.midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm (on eBay they can be much cheaper than retail). The MIDI Solutions boxes are small enough to sit under a Pedaltrain, and don't take up any space on a flat board.

Im sending PC commands with scenes via midi cable to my audio interface thru usb to my pc and selecting songs in my setlist in cantabile 2 .
When i select a patch it loads scene 1 and sends my programmed PC number and instantly loads the relevant song.
You could also assign other scenes in the patch to control the transport
Play-pause-stop etc.
You do need a bit of planning within your patch but its do-able .

Back
Top Bottom