Midi 5150 amp channel switching

Finnster

Inspired
Can anyone advise any tips/tricks to do midi switching on this amp with the FX8?

I have a gig tomorrow. I know how to put the amp in learning mode. Is it simple using FX8 Edit?

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks for any help.

the way I set my mesa up is to use scenes. Each scene will send the necessary midi message to the amp to use whichever channel needed. In FX8 edit it is easy to set up which messages you need to send along with which scene you need.

I don't quite remember everything about the initial setup, but if you know how to get into Learn Mode you're more than half-way there. FX8 Edit makes the rest of it a piece of cake. I have the 5150 as well.

If I remember, once you are in MIDI learn you select the channel you want to assign, then go into FX8 and use the MIDI configuration to send a PC message to the program you want it to be. I don't think there was much more to it, but it's been several months since I set mine.

Do I need to have different PC #'s assigned to different channels?

I can only get one channel working and I'm only doing it per preset at the moment. I'm pretty ignorant with midi

Yes, I have mine set for PC1 as Green channel, PC2 as Blue channel, and PC3 as Red channel. I don't have my 5150 set up at the moment, but I may be able to load up FX8 edit and see if I can provide any better instructions in a bit. It's just been so long I have to look up the process in the manual to do that.

Yes, I have mine set for PC1 as Green channel, PC2 as Blue channel, and PC3 as Red channel. I don't have my 5150 set up at the moment, but I may be able to load up FX8 edit and see if I can provide any better instructions in a bit. It's just been so long I have to look up the process in the manual to do that.

That would be great. Maybe a screen shot.
I really appreciate it. As of now...I'm taking the footswitch(EVH) and the FX8.....ugh

Assuming you are referring to the 5150 50 watt with the midi port, here is how to do it using FX8-Edit:
Once the program is open and you are on the preset you want, go to the config tab. From there, select the MIDI PC button. Select the scene you want to edit and change the "Scene 5 PC" to 0 for green, 1 for blue, and 2 for red. Do that for each scene you are wanting to edit. That is assuming that you have it all "learned" on the amp's side. So friggin easy. Love it. Good luck, and leave that 5150 switch at home!

OK, what you do is put the 5150 in learn mode to start with, follow the directions in the manual for that. What you need to do in FX8 edit is go to the Config tab and then click on MIDI PC down below. Go to any scene and change the Scene PC to the MIDI Program Number you want to use for the channel of the amp, then go back to the amp and use the switches on the front to select that channel. Note that you will want to review that part in the 5150 manual, as that can be a little tricky for channel 1 and 2.

I didn't have to touch the Scene Channel to do this, as my amp was already on MIDI channel 1 (not to be confused with the amp channel.) Most confusing part is that the MIDI channel is like the pipe you are talking to the amp through, and doesn't specify the amp channel. PC is what you need to change in FX8-Edit.

I was going to try to up a screen shot, but they don't allow direct uploads and I'm in a rush at the moment and I'm not sure it would help much.

Assuming you are referring to the 5150 50 watt with the midi port, here is how to do it using FX8-Edit:
Once the program is open and you are on the preset you want, go to the config tab. From there, select the MIDI PC button. Select the scene you want to edit and change the "Scene 5 PC" to 0 for green, 1 for blue, and 2 for red. Do that for each scene you are wanting to edit. That is assuming that you have it all "learned" on the amp's side. So friggin easy. Love it. Good luck, and leave that 5150 switch at home!

I put the amp (yes the 50w model) in learn mode. What do you mean when you say "assuming you have it all learned in the amp side"? I have followed the EVH manual while FX8 is connected via midi and read and reread the FX8 manual. I can get it to learn either all blue or all green.....but it won't change between blue or green between presets. ... I know it's something I am doing. When I open the midi tab in Edit I see CC numbers and PC numbers and 2 toggle switches. But it's all Greek to me.

Been an AxeFx user for a long time. But never dealt with midi until now.

OK, what you do is put the 5150 in learn mode to start with, follow the directions in the manual for that. What you need to do in FX8 edit is go to the Config tab and then click on MIDI PC down below. Go to any scene and change the Scene PC to the MIDI Program Number you want to use for the channel of the amp, then go back to the amp and use the switches on the front to select that channel. Note that you will want to review that part in the 5150 manual, as that can be a little tricky for channel 1 and 2.

I didn't have to touch the Scene Channel to do this, as my amp was already on MIDI channel 1 (not to be confused with the amp channel.) Most confusing part is that the MIDI channel is like the pipe you are talking to the amp through, and doesn't specify the amp channel. PC is what you need to change in FX8-Edit.

I was going to try to up a screen shot, but they don't allow direct uploads and I'm in a rush at the moment and I'm not sure it would help much.

Thanks I will try that tomorrow. I appreciate all the input.

Got it.
When I used the FX8 Menu instead of FX8 Edit it was super easy....usually it's the other way around.
Feel like a dummy.

I've been using an AxeFx since 09'.....always kept amps around but sort of just to have.
Since snagging this 5150 combo and the FX8, things have changed.
No more IR "chasing" more playing and less tweaking.

I'm like a 46 yr old kid in the candy store....the punch and clarity are amazing along with great feedback control that I could never get where I wanted it with the Axe and FRFR.

Good times.

I appreciate all of the help Gents.

I've been using an AxeFx since 09'.....always kept amps around but sort of just to have.
Since snagging this 5150 combo and the FX8, things have changed.
No more IR "chasing" more playing and less tweaking.
Cool, glad you got it. I'm in the same boat. Loved my Axe-FX, going all the way back to the Ultra days, but I'd always fall into that tone chasing game and felt like I had to use all of the amp choices. Finally just came down to getting a 5150 III and a couple of cabs, which was really one of my favorites from the Axe-FX II anyway.

Back
Top Bottom