Mic or Mix ?

Is it better to mic a FRFR cab or run straight from FM9 to mixer ?
Most prefer to go direct as do I as it is the better option vs. mic’ing an FRFR. However, if you’re using a power amp and regular guitar speaker and cab, then a mic may be a better choice.

When ran directly from my AX-8 or FM9. Should I run two channels out to the mixer or one ? I am using two FRFR powered speakers behind me. An CLR and a Xytone.

I guess,backing up a bit. The first question is, should I run out from the FRFRs to the mixer or from my floor models to the mixer ?

The first question is, should I run out from the FRFRs to the mixer or from my floor models to the mixer ?
It's the same signal either way. But if you use the out from the FM9 to the mixer you have more control over the level, independent of the signal level you're sending the speakers.
Should I run two channels out to the mixer or one ?
Depends on the venue. Can FOH handle stereo? Does whoever is at the board know how to mix stereo? Does it improve the FOH sound or make it worse?

I control my mixer. So I have my set up in a 25 x 30 metal barn with 19 ft center ceiling. So would you recommend stereo or mono from my FM9 ?

Is it better to mic a FRFR cab […]
Miking an FRFR isn't recommended. You can't easily or conveniently close-mic it unless it's a coaxial, and even then its balance is going to be off.

From 'da Wiki… "Do not put a microphone in front of a FRFR speaker":

Do not put a microphone in front of a FRFR speaker​

When you're using FRFR amplification on stage and you need to provide a signal for FOH, do NOT place a microphone in front of the FRFR monitor. That would make no sense: the source signal already contains the sound of a close-miked guitar cab. Direct-to-FOH is the right way to do it: run a cable from the output(s) to the mixing console. For long distances, use the balanced outputs.

So would you recommend stereo or mono from my FM9 ?
For recording I'd capture stereo. You can always fold it to monaural later, or pan both tracks the same amount, but splitting a monaural signal to stereo won't work well.

The way your preset is built kind-of determines how you should send to FOH or the console, because a stereo preset being converted to mono affects phase which can cause "interesting" changes in your sound. The manual talks about it in "Mono vs. Stereo" on p. 6.

Last edited:
Would this mixer be considered as a stereo mixer ?
it has a Left and Right main output. yes. channels can be panned. channels and monitor outputs can be linked to create stereo pairs.

when a mixer is involved, typically you send every instrument to the mixer, and use the mixer outputs to go to the speaker. no real advantage for having a mixer but sending the guitar signal directly to speakers if you're in control of everything.

Well thank you all for your help. Trial and Error ! I will definitely let you all know the end result. Well I'm sure there are many end results, but I report on mine. Thank you again, God Bless and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

I have XLRs running from my FM9 L and R outs to the CLR and one to my Xitone. Then I ran two XLRs on outs 2 to the mixer. The outs running to the mixer wouldn't give me any sound at all. I had to run the XLRs from my cabs to the mixer to work. Any help would be appreciated.

I have XLRs running from my FM9 L and R outs to the CLR and one to my Xitone. Then I ran two XLRs on outs 2 to the mixer. The outs running to the mixer wouldn't give me any sound at all. I had to run the XLRs from my cabs to the mixer to work. Any help would be appreciated.
Out 2 (and 3) make no signal by default. Turn on Copy Out 1 in the Setup > I/O > Audio menu for out 2 and turn the physical out 2 volume knob up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom