Mfc or liquid foot 12+

jjcor

Inspired
Your thoughts on which one to go with the axe fx 2. Mfc I like the tap tempo light but the liquid foot led screens are really cool too.... Opinions?

MFC is made by Fractal and designed to go with the Axe Fx. Most problems between the two are covered here or can be answered here. A third party product might be harder to configure and understand when problems arise. Unless you are super duper at computer stuff, take the path of less resistance.

I really hope that Liquid Foot will get it right this time on all levels, but let's just say that the less that stellar way the company handled itself in the past gives me absolutely no confidence in Liquid Foot, nor in them being there if a problem arise with the product down the line.
In stark contrast you have Fractal Audio with the absolute best customer service and interaction in the industry and rock solid products.
My advice: Go with the MCF - no contest.

Last edited:
It all depends what you're looking for. the LF 12+ is much more powerfull than the MFC, but if you don't need the extra's go for the MFC

@ Rocket
Ive heard bad stuff like that happen before so that makes me kinda nervous of going with the liquid foot.

Think Ill just stick to the Mfc. Anything goes wrong I can just send it in to get it checked.

I have a LF Jr and an MFC. I like the versatility of the LF and the ease of the MFC. It looks like Jeff has a computer editor for the new series and that may push me over the edge to sell both LF Jr and MFC and get the 12+. If the 12+ works as it appears to work, it will be awesome. The fact of it having multiple pages as well as multiple actions for each switch make it way more versatile than the MFC at controlling what the Axe can do. With the 12+ you should actually be able to use x/y switching effectively as well as control the looper and whatever else you want to do AND do it with computer editor. If that all proves to be true, it'll make for an amazing controller.

a computer editor isn't new from LF. there was one a year + ago when I still had LF jr.

If its all new, that's cool, the old one worked but was nothing to write home about.
the LF jr is well made and if I needed midi for multiple things I can see going the 3rd party route, no question.

That said if you are buying this for the AF, then its not a close call, get the MFC! Unless you actually enjoy programming a pedal board.
I hated programming, the MFC just works.

The computer editor is completely new. It's nothing like the old one. Yes, the MFC just works, but there are all kinds of things I wish I could do with it that I can't. I'm not talking about esoteric stuff, but basic things like x/y control of a block without wasting an IA for each block you want to control.

I agree the old editor was buggy and unreliable, but I'm betting the new one actually works. There was a brief moment in time with the LF where the editor was mostly working and I was happy as could be with how it functioned. I could autoload from the Axe and it worked just fine. I'd rather have great, in-depth control of 10 of my own presets than basic control of everything (though I think you'll get both out of the new LF). Time will tell, but I'm looking very closely at the new LF stuff. Jeff clearly knows how to code a controller and it looks like this was designed from the start to avoid the deadends he got into trying to use Java to code his editor.

I'm be interested in the 12+ too, since I'm going to be using the MFC in IA mode (that way I can set up multiple MIDI presets/configs from a single Axe preset). Having an editor is a HUGE plus.

From Jeff at LF -

Editor comes out this week. PC version first, MAC to follow shortly. Same interface.

Overview Video LF+ (PC-MAC) Editor -- Overview - YouTube
Pages Editing LF+ Editor -- PAGES - YouTube
Preset Editing LF+ Editor -- Editing Presets - YouTube
IA-Slot Editing LF+ Editor -- IA Slot Editing - YouTube
Song Editing LF+ Editor -- Song Editing - YouTube
Set-List Editing LF+ Editor -- Setlist Editing - YouTube
Sysex Editing LF+ Editor -- Sysex Send - YouTube

editor is available (beta)

FAMC, Inc.

editor is available (beta)

FAMC, Inc.

Nice. It looks like there's visual cleanup to be done. I installed it and looked around a little. If it does what it's supposed to, it will make the new LF controllers top of the heap to me. I love the ability to have different colors for each step. It'll make things like cycling off/on-x/on-y very clear visually so you won't easily forget where you are or what's under the next click.

Thanks for noting the editor's appearance.

I really hope that Liquid Foot will get it right this time on all levels, but let's just say that the less that stellar way the company handled itself in the past gives me absolutely no confidence in Liquid Foot, nor in them being there if a problem arise with the product down the line.
In stark contrast you have Fractal Audio with the absolute best customer service and interaction in the industry and rock solid products.
My advice: Go with the MCF - no contest.

Guys when I´m wrong, I´ll say so, and on this one I´ll have to eat my own words.

I had a bad experience with Liquid Foot in the companys first incarnation, hence the initial lack of confidence.

I looked more into the LF+ series and could tell that there is a lot of potential in these controllers.
The LF+ series can do some things, that I need and that the MFC 101 can't do - so I ended up contacting Jeff at FAMCmusic.com and he was extremely helpful and seems to have everything under control this time around.
We spoke about my needs in a midi controller and I bought 2 LF+12+'s, so I can use them together in "big rig mode" or as separate small foot print controllers.
Jeff also made me a small box with a 5-pin midi jack for connecting to the Axe II, a plug for the power adaptor and a 7-pin midi jack for sending phantom power to the LF12+'s.
As we were heading out on tour the day after I recieved my units, Jeff talked me through a rush setup over the phone ( roughly 15 minutes ).
The units are beautiful, and the editor really easy to use and super powerful.
As I get to learn the units better I´ll do a more advanced setup for sure, but for now they are up and running.

So in conclusion I can now only recommend anybody looking for a midi foot controller, to assess their needs and see if the MFC 101 or the LF12+ suits their needs the best - both are great options depending on your needs.

Last edited:
I have the LF Pro & love it. I have had 3 issues with it. The first one is that my son dropped something on it & broke a switch. Jeff responded to my email within a few hours & offered to repair it for free. I asked him to just send a switch & he did at no charge. My other 2 issues were programming problems/questions & he responded within 1 hour & solved my problems immediately.

The LF Pro works great & I am totally satisfied with it.

Back
Top Bottom